Need some suggestions

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
As much fun as they are to play, nobody locally seems to like group hug decks, and a Mono green deck has a fair number of glaring weaknesses. Trying to avoid buying many more cards, so any suggestions what I can build based on the Devour for power, Mirror mastery, and Counterpunch Commander Precon decks? Counterpunch is mostly intact. Devour and Mirror I dismantled completely to form my Momir Vig hug deck and my Kaervek deck. Mono green is all about Elf tribal and Large beasts.
RPGtable username : RTiger
Ghave and Karador both make decent commanders, with Karador even being  solid with Counterpunch straight out of the box.

You can make a pretty decent Riku deck cheap, even if you have to buy some of the cards. His ability to copy ramp spells like Sylvan Ranger andCultivate can get you way ahead of the mana curve while thinning your deck in the process. You just have to decide what to do with all that mana.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Animar is fairly cheap.

3DH4LIF3

I could probably make a Riku deck if I take apart my Simic deck(easy enough) but leaves me a bit weak for R.  Animar would be fairly easy if I dismantle my Ezuri deck, though leaves me sorely lacking in R/U
Personally I think the best generals that came with those decks are

Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Ghave, Guru of Spores

Again that was personally. I feel like the other generals have great strategies but are a bit easier to disrupt. In my group, I've single-handedly made Edric a somewhat hated deck. And I've played 3 distinct versions of it before arriving at the deck I have now. There's still alot of time it fails.

I'm a huge fan of the "junk" color wedge. I've felt for a very long time that it's the best 3 color combination for EDH. Yes, blue is amazing for card draw and counters...but those other 3 colors have those as well, minus the counters.
My current version of my edric deck is getting me nowhere. I turned Edric into an insane card draw/hug deck, and while I really enjoy playing it, The local format is more Tournament then it is casual, meaning that deck never wins, and I get nothing for my efforts (or worse, penalized). The other option is completely rebuilding that deck, but that would mean buying at least 30 new cards.

Upgrading an Edric deck into a RUG deck would be the easiest move, compared to a BWG where I have no experience playing White and none of my current decks lean to that wedge besides the Precon.
I don't know why you'd say you don't know how to play white. White has many different strategies and alot of them overlap with other color strategies. Find one you're comfortable with and try it. I've been working on putting together a Ghave list, perhaps I'll post that later today. I will also update my Edric thread with my current decklist so you can check it out. Most of it is commons. Not counting the Lands the deck probably cost 30-50 bucks. And alot of the stuff is super easy to trade for, especially if the folks in your area have been playing for 10+ years.

My Edric thread is called: Yes, I'm looking for something in an after dinner burrito.
Riku

Ramp
as much for life gain as for mana. Make sure it gets used every turn.

Cheap (mana) spells for Riku to double
[deck]
1x Repulse
1x Foresee
1x Thought Scour
1x Slice in Twain
1x Tezzeret's Gambit
1x Hull Breach
1x Repeal
1x Confound
1x Steady Progress
I would add:
1x Gaea's Blessing
1x Memory's Journey
1x Psychic Spiral[/deck] this one doesn't get doubled.
1x Telling Time but they are all uncommons. This is where the slippery slope away from 'budget' begins.

Parallel Lives is $3-4, and can add a second token creature when Riku doubles something. For similar cash and two more mana per use, Rings of Brighhearth can double Riku's ability, thus giving you triple creatures or spells.
Traumatize is relatively cheap dollar-wise and could seriously put a hole in an opponent's deck. Or two opponents.
If you don't have the cash for Red Sun's Zenith, a Disintegrate or even Fireball coupled with Riku's doubling can do serious damage.
Rite of Replication is only $1-2 and when kicked and doubled with Riku it almost doesn't matter what you are copying. It's going to suck for your opponents.

That's 25-30 cards (have to assume some protection for Riku like Mask of Avacyn or Shielding Plax) that give you your ramp,some card advantage, a possible Mill win con, and some targeted destruction while barely touching the rare or uncommon sections of your card box. Add some creatures and another win con via spells and you are good to go. 

All that said....Karador out of the box still isn't bad.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Sign In to post comments