Important Question Regarding Combat Superiorty (Fighter):

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
While attempting to draft up a new Fighter PC today, I came across a strangely-worded sentence within the "Combat Superiorty" Class Feature for which I could use some clarification:

from PHB1, Page 77...

Combat Superiority
You gain a bonus to opportunity attacks equal to your Wisdom modifier. An enemy struck by your oppor- tunity attack stops moving, if a move provoked the attack. If it still has actions remaining, it can use them to resume moving.

Now, my question is, when they say "if it still has actions remaining, it can use them to resume moving", do they mean they can use another Action to gain a whole new Move Action, as per usual (seeing as a character is technically allowed two Move Actions per turn), or do they have to spend an additional Move Action to simply continue using that SAME INITIAL Move Action?

For example, "Human Fighter" and "Goblin" are adjacecnt to one another in combat. Goblin has a Movement Speed of 6, and attempts to move away from Human Fighter. Human Fighter provokes an Opportunity Attack using Combat Superiority and lands the hit, halting Goblin's Movement. Goblin has technically consumed one unit of Movement, and has 5 remaining. Goblin spends another Move Action to get away from Human Fighter. Does Goblin now still have 5 remaining units of Speed, or is he granted that additional +1 back on this current movement action?

Just curious, as this could drastically change the way I design the character.

It can use an additional move action just as if it had done so in the first place.  Or, it can charge.  You aren't limited in how much movement you can do per turn by your speed, but per move action.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Right.  So, he'd move at full speed on his second move, but be unable to attack unless he charged.
Ah, well. That's unfortunate. So it appears that the Fighter isn't that "sticky" after all, if he can simply be outmanuevered by something as unimpressive as an enemy taking a Double Move Action. That's rather depressing. Undecided
Ah, well. That's unfortunate. So it appears that the Fighter isn't that "sticky" after all, if he can simply be outmanuevered by something as unimpressive as an enemy taking a Double Move Action. That's rather depressing. 

You do understand that means that the creature in question cannot attack that turn outside of a charge right? The Fighter is by far the most versatile and "sticky" defender of all 4e.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
Unquestionably wrong about versatility as the Fighter is the only Defender incapable of ranged punishment at-will (barring a certain elf feat that invalidates the rest of your attacks), but it's certainly top in stickiness.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I'm not clear why "ranged punishment at-will" is your metric for "versatility" to the point where you can decree "unquestionably wrong" the claim that the fighter is the most versatile.

The Fighter doesn't have ranged punishment at-will.  Only the paladin really does, the swormage sortof (much better at it if you include powers, which you should).  The other three don't.  But, there are things the paladin and the swordmage can't do that the others can.

Believe me, I am a fan of the non-Fighter defenders, but even as one who loves them, the fighter does do things better than they do, and versatility is one of those things.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I don't know how you would define versatility in a manner that didn't include "Can punish ranged enemies when they need to", unless you're just going to say it means how good a character is at all 4 Class Roles.

Lightning Rush, Warden's Grasp (which I admit if flimsy, but fighters only get beyond 2 square punishment with dailies).
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Ah, well. That's unfortunate. So it appears that the Fighter isn't that "sticky" after all, if he can simply be outmanuevered by something as unimpressive as an enemy taking a Double Move Action. That's rather depressing. Undecided

If the enemy is taking a double move action for this, you've just had an accurate (+wis mod), extra attack on it; and it hasn't made an attack at all. That's not depressing, that's awesome.

Regarding versatility, the fighter may not have ranged punishment at will, but it does have ranged marking at will, at a longer range than others.
If you're being reduced to making RBAs with a thrown weapon, then the fight is either already over or your DM is a jerk and is just trying to kill you. I'll take Swordmage and Paladin ranged marking over Fighter "throw something".
Sign In to post comments