Budget Selesnya Deck

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys! What do you think of my standard but casual Selesnya deck?
So it's basically a token-generating deck at the beginning of the game (with cheap token production spells) but also possible to put some powerful tokens later on (with Slime Molding).
Mid-game is the part where I attack if I can, hold their threats via Oblivion Ring and Pacifism (or other removals that I'll add in my sideboard, like the selesnya naturalize/disenchant which I forgot the name).
Late-game is where I populate like crazy and build up a formidable force.
-
Yeah, it doesn't sound all that threatening, but hey, very very casual as I love it!

Tell me what you think I should add and/or ditch in this deck. Especially WHY.
I'm interested in upgrading the deck with the cards I have, so I'll try my best to replace the cards that "should be replaced" without having to sell my entire house.
3-4 Intangible virtue would be a great thing. That and maybe a Gavony Township or two.

You may also consider some number of Rootborn Defences to protect yourself from removal.

Finally, 4 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage may be too much. They aren't tokens themselves, and they don't really come into play until much later in the game. 3 would probably be more than enough.

I would propose:
-1 Oblivion Ring
-2 Pacifism
+3 Intangible Virtue

While both enchantments are useful, they can be dead cards pretty easily. Intangible virtue will make pacifism almost completely unneccessary. Oblivion ring at 3 is fine, since you want to use it against things you couldn't otherwise interact with, like artifacts or fliers.

Honestly I don't see a problem with trying to dig up some original Ravnica cards if your just going for a casual game. Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi isn't a bad card with convoke, since you seem to like tokens there are quite a few cards that could be useful from the original Ravnica that would work
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
rhys the redeemed is a pretty amazing creature but I belive he costs quite a bit expensive. you also might like conclave's blessing that works amazingly with tree of redemption. hope that helped

phantom general needs more small tokens to be worth it
the guildmage should be 1-2 of
wayfaring temple and slime molding are so-so

populate is a great mechanic id get 
4 rootborn defenses
2-3 druid's deliverance
0-3 sundering growth (with 4 abundant growth

in standard centaur's herald is not a bard card for the extra token producer.

I actually agree with the lot of you saying that I should reduce the number of Guildmages, but there's a very specific reason I do not...
It's because she tends to get blasted the very instant (or soon after) she comes into play. For some reason my friends have a HATRED of the recurrent populate ability (as they should).
It's why I have 4 copies, it's to insure her presence, that way even if I draw her multiple times, the first will die and the second may live (of course it's also prone to removal, but that adds my chances of having her in play and active).
-
Yeah I'd very much like to add Rootborn Defenses, maybe in place of Slime Molding, or maybe even Phantom General, I mean, it's good to be able to pump tokens, but it may be best to have the most possible tokens in the first place....
it sounds like this might be for multiplayer? maybe add more recurrent populate then? growing ranks comes to mind.
I actually agree with the lot of you saying that I should reduce the number of Guildmages, but there's a very specific reason I do not...
It's because she tends to get blasted the very instant (or soon after) she comes into play. For some reason my friends have a HATRED of the recurrent populate ability (as they should).
It's why I have 4 copies, it's to insure her presence, that way even if I draw her multiple times, the first will die and the second may live (of course it's also prone to removal, but that adds my chances of having her in play and active).
-
Yeah I'd very much like to add Rootborn Defenses, maybe in place of Slime Molding, or maybe even Phantom General, I mean, it's good to be able to pump tokens, but it may be best to have the most possible tokens in the first place....

Everyone here is going to throw out suggestions and tweaks and ultimately you are the one who has to decide if that is the direction you want to evolve your deck. If I was going to a tournament with this list I would look to speed it up and make it more aggressive with low CMC spells such as gather the townsfolk or intangible virtue replacing higher CMC spells like phantom general. In a multiplayer setting I feel drawn to doing everything at instant speed and things like rootborn defenses and midnight haunting become more valuable pieces. Or as rawsugar suggests permanants that are less likely to get destroyed such as an enchantment like growing ranks could easily sub in for the guildmage in a multiplayer setting.
Don't be too smart to have fun
0-3 sundering growth (with 4 abundant growth)

My daughter likes to use Sundering Growth on her own Rancor, if she doesn't have another target.

Sign In to post comments