Activated abilities versus instant and interrupt spells

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you have a creature or permanent with an activated ability. Do you have to annouce you are using that ability so before you use it someone has the chance to cast a spell lets say for example boomerang to try and stop this? Can you use a permanents activated ability after boomerang is cast at it and say in respond to you casting boomerang i pay this permanents activated ability and doesn't your permanent still go off or is it not there to be activated so its ability can be thrown on the stack?

Anyone know what rule this falls into exactly? I'm from the old school of playing and have got back into it and in the old days your permanent's ability would be throw on the stack and respove even if the source is not there anymore that cast that ability. Also can't a source without a tap symbol be reused over and over as long as a person has the mana to use it over and over incase you got into several boomerangs being cast type fight?
you have to announce it, but noone can respond to it until you actually activated it
furthermore you can respond to the Boomerang by simply activating the ability (unless it says otherwise)

you can activate an ability as often as you can pay for it, again, unless it says otherwise
proud member of the 2011 community team
If you have a creature or permanent with an activated ability. Do you have to annouce you are using that ability

yes
so before you use it someone has the chance to cast a spell lets say for example boomerang to try and stop this?

no, not with Boomerang, but with Stifle they can
Can you use a permanents activated ability after boomerang is cast at it and say in respond to you casting boomerang i pay this permanents activated ability

yes
and doesn't your permanent still go off

yes, it would "go off" in both cases
or is it not there to be activated so its ability can be thrown on the stack?

no
Anyone know what rule this falls into exactly?

it falls under Timing & Priority (CR116) and Casting Spells (CR601) and Activating Abilities (CR602) and Abilities (CR112)
I'm from the old school of playing and have got back into it and in the old days your permanent's ability would be thrown on the stack and resolve even if the source is not there anymore that cast that ability.

that's still true
Also can't a source without a tap symbol be reused over and over as long as a person has the mana to use it over and over incase you got into several boomerangs being cast type fight?

certainly

also note: all Interrupts have been errataed to be Instants

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I'm from the old school of playing and have got back into it and in the old days your permanent's ability would be throw on the stack and respove even if the source is not there anymore that cast that ability.

This is true: an ability on the stack will exist and resolve independly of it's source. Removing a Cunning Sparkmage after you have activated it's ability wont stop the damage.  

Also can't a source without a tap symbol be reused over and over as long as a person has the mana to use it over and over incase you got into several boomerangs being cast type fight?

Note that just because the cost includes the symbol doesnt mean you can only use it once per turn - it just means that if you want to use it more than once in a turn you will need to find a way to untap the permanent so that you can pay the cost again.

you can activate an ability as often as you can pay for it, again, unless it says otherwise

Planeswalker Loyalty Abilities have their own rules that say that a individual permanent can only activate one of them a turn. For example, you cannot use a [+1] ability ten times then use a [-10] ability all on the same turn, even though you would be able to pay the cost to do all that.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
yes, Loyalty abilities say otherwise, albeit in the rules rather than on the card itself
So if someone casts a stifle after I activate an ability and that ability doesn't have a tap symbol can i pump more mana into it and say in respond to you casting stifle i activate this permmanets ability and wont that last activation still go off even if the first one was stifled?
you can either do it in response to the Stifle or afterwards
the abilities not stifled will resolve normally

that's why they printed Trickbind ;)
Sign In to post comments