Mono white casual and modern deck need advice

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
For Modern format I've been working on a deck, themed around Angels and human soldiers, with artifact creatures thrown in to activate some metalcraft, the basic concept of the deck is start off small and through equip and enchantments, build an army of both actual and manufactured angels. I could use some guidance and constructive critisism...

I run 20 lands in mono color decks generally, and keep the deck to exactly 60 cards,

Here's the build so far:
Plains x18
Seraph Sanctuary x2
Sword of Fire and Ice x1
Sword of War and Peace x1
Sword of Feast and Famine x1
Sword of Body and Mind x1
Angelic Overseer x1
Gideon Jura x1 (have a second, but don't really want to add it in, suggestions)
Elspeth Tirel x1
Indomitable Archangel x2
Etched Champion x2
Victory's Herald x1
Aegis Angel x1 (thinking of adding a second, or removing it completely, suggestions?)
Moonsilver Spear x1
Puresteel Paladin x4
Darksteel Plate x2
True Conviction x1 (again thinking of losing this one, suggestions?)
Angelic Armaments x1
Darksteel Axe x2
Fencing Ace x1
Call to Serve x2
Bladed Pinions x2
Porcelain Legionnaire x2
Ardent Recruit x4
Moorland Inquisitor x1
Accorder's Shield x2

That about covers the current build I have two open slots in the deck at this point and I'm open to taking advice on it, this deck's been my personal project since the open of Scars of Mirrodin and I think it's time I got some real advice on it.
I was just in the process of doing that... thank you though.

I've been playing since about 2002, but even an old dog needs to learn some new tricks
you need 4 more lands

moonsilver spear is pretty bad if youre not doing something freaky with the token.
accorders shield
angelic armament
bladed pinions
call to serve
all these are pretty bad

aedent recruit
porcelain legionaire
belong in fast decks, you can find better; creatures with doublestrike/lifelink/hexproof/evasion

true convitions
belong in a deck with medium size creatures for late game oomph 
you need 4 more lands

moonsilver spear is pretty bad if youre not doing something freaky with the token.
accorders shield
angelic armament
bladed pinions
call to serve
all these are pretty bad

aedent recruit
porcelain legionaire
belong in fast decks, you can find better; creatures with doublestrike/lifelink/hexproof/evasion

true convitions
belong in a deck with medium size creatures for late game oomph 

Ok I appreciate the critique there, do you have any suggestions for replacements?
Ah brushing the dust off of some relics, I found this: Sword of Fire and Ice and have added it to the deck

grafted wargear probably best equipment there is, if you want speed
flayerhusk is an option

strata scythe
batterskull and cranial plating if you have $$

for creatures it really depends on your budget. you can do worse than kor duelist but mirran crusader and such might be better if you can afford them.

Ok so I'm digging out some Mirran Crusaders I think I may still have some. As far as Cranial Plating I know I still have them, but I doubt there are enough artifacts in the deck to make them worth while, the Batterskull is nice but a little expencive. May still be able to aquire one at a decent cost. Again the focus of the deck is Humans and Angels, I intend to use the Equips and Enchants to make my humans either effective or actual angels, by giving them that creature type and generating angels from the Moonsilver Spear certainly gives me that token rather easily and as the angels start off at a 4/4 I can't really see a reason to lose that equip even though it doesn't grant any other boosts.
tbh i didnt realize that  thats what you were trying to do, but i wouldnt call it the "focus". already angels + humans is somewhat diffuse, add equipment to this and you have agro without much focus.
if that is the flavor youre going for the spear could go back in, although id probably find room for some sort of sweep as your deck is a little slow

cranial plating just needs 1 more artifact to be worth the cost, compare darksteel axe. 
I have a Coat of Arms I'm thinking it might be worth the add in just for the extra power boost but I still need to find some cuts and re-set some good instants or scorcerys to help speed up the deck's roll out.
Remember Coat of Arms can work for your opponent if they run a tribal deck
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
2 X Armillary sphere 
1 X Angels Feather
   X Cathers crusade
1 X Ajani, Caller of the pride
1 X Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1 X True conviction
2 X Aegis Angel
2 X Goldnight Redeemer
3 X Angelic Page
1 X Voice of the Provinces
2 X Sheperd of the Lost
2 X Archangel