Tumble: modern uses

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
The new packet reintroduced tumble as a regular skill but with a very vague description.

while DMing my game this past week I made use of it in combat by bringing back the old ideas of it giving half speed movement to pass a player or move through their space and giving enemies the chance to counter-tumble. Instead of giving the player immunity to attacks of opportunity on a tumble I just made it where those attacks would have disadvantage.

So I'm curious how others are using tumble in 5e 
Full movement speed. +10 AC. Resist 10 to all damage if somehow hit.

Just kidding. I'd probably just grant them half move without provoking OA if they make the check. I'd increase the DC by 1 for each additional mob that is adjacent to the PC.
Simple. Tumble allows you to use disengage as a move action ^_^
In our game we used tumble to avoid opportunity attacks too. The OP attack is made normaly but if you sussed in a tumble ckeck CD = (opponent attack roll) you dodge the attack. We, also, use tumble to move through enemy space, but in this case tumble is a action.
Avoiding AoO is an easy conclusion to jump to, but I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work in this edition :P
My two copper.
I don't think skills are supposed to be used for combat-related stuff in this edition.

So, non-combat stuff:
Performing for money? Cha + Tumble.
Flipping on top of a wall or across a chasm? Str + Tumble.
Sneaking past guards by flipping silently across the rafters? Dex + Tumble.

In general, if you can do it in an Assassin's Creed game, you can probably do it with a combination of Climb and Tumble. If you're doing the fancy acrobatic tricks ninja/theif-type characters do in action or heist movies? Tumble. Absolutely anything the Cirque du Soleil does? Tumble.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!
I don't think skills are supposed to be used for combat-related stuff in this edition.

So, non-combat stuff:
Performing for money? Cha + Tumble.
Flipping on top of a wall or across a chasm? Str + Tumble.
Sneaking past guards by flipping silently across the rafters? Dex + Tumble.

In general, if you can do it in an Assassin's Creed game, you can probably do it with a combination of Climb and Tumble. If you're doing the fancy acrobatic tricks ninja/theif-type characters do in action or heist movies? Tumble. Absolutely anything the Cirque du Soleil does? Tumble.

I beg to differ, I think that since ability checks are applicable in combat, then skills should also function under that umbrella as well.  Having a rogue make an opposed Dex check to avoid a monster's grapple attempt is relevant in combat, so allowing a character trained in Tumbling attempt to use the skill in combat seems equally acceptable.  Use of the  Escape Artist skill by a grappled character is a great example of how a skill could be used in combat.  The problem is how to apply the skill in combat situations without "stepping on the toes" of other, similar game mechanics.

Since the combat maneuver system already has Tumbling Dodge (an AC boost while moving), we shouldn't allow the skill to fill the same niche with respect to attacks of opportunity unless that maneuver is removed/replaced.  Conversely, if we try to use Tumble as a means to pass through an enemy's occupied space, then we would be mimicking the Halfling Nimbleness ability instead.  A possible solution might be to allow the skill to be used only as a Contest while in combat, rather than allowing a DC check to determine success or failure.
Yes but then you are basically saying you can make dex checks to avoid opportunity attacks, not tumble checks. Tumble would only apply in a situation you could already do, not enable it :P
My two copper.
Yes but then you are basically saying you can make dex checks to avoid opportunity attacks, not tumble checks. Tumble would only apply in a situation you could already do, not enable it :P

Yeah, this.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!
What if instead of a DC to Tumble, your Dex check had to exceed the enemy's attack roll? Then it's essentially a roll to dodge the opportunity attack. The attack still has to hit your armor class, but on a miss if you failed the check your movement still ends. Only people who are trained in it would likely succeed, but it could be a viable tactic for them.
Seems like a cop out, but you could easily just make it a maneuver. Seeing as martial classes are the only ones that really tumble often. Better yet, make it a feat.
My two copper.