Advice for Tired Characters

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
The world doesn't stop just because you need a rest. Heck, those goblins (or orcs, or dragons, or evil high priests) are just waiting for you to flake out and take a long snooze; means you're an easier kill.

Learn to pace yourselves, and remember that cruel DMs are always ready to take advantage of you taking advantage of the system. Just because you have a thesaurus doesn't mean you have to use the words at the bottom of the list.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
Y'know, just tossing this out here, after asking for help on dealing with players that act like this in the DM section... Really makes you seem like you're venting aggression on the forum.

Just popping in and declaring "You better do this or a cruel DM is going to kill yooooooou!" isn't helpful to players and, in my opinion at least, makes you appear to be a real jerk. Though I'm confident that you didn't mean to come off that way.

Now, I'm not trying to insult you. I'm not out to pick a fight. I'm not saying you aren't allowed to vent your frustrations. I'm just saying there's a time and place. So in that spirit, I'd like to offer a friendly ear to you. If you want to vent all your problems, feel free to send me a message.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
]Just popping in and declaring "You better do this or a cruel DM is going to kill yooooooou!" isn't helpful to players and, in my opinion at least, makes you appear to be a real jerk. Though I'm confident that you didn't mean to come off that way.

Would saying, "You'd better do this or a cruel world will kill you." be any better? You're not playing chess, and when a world is concerned various nasty things are bound to happen. So don't assume you benefit from authorial immunity.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
Would saying, "You'd better do this or a cruel world will kill you." be any better? You're not playing chess, and when a world is concerned various nasty things are bound to happen. So don't assume you benefit from authorial immunity.

Well, if that's the kind of response I get when I attempt to be helpful, then I think I'm going to have to validate your 'cruel world' belief.

Do not assume your situation is the same as everyone else's. Not every DM is a kill-em-all bastard and not every player is a selfish, lazy jerk. Unless you can expound on what 'various nasty things' you're refering to, I'm forced to assume you're talking out your ass. So I'm leaving that out there: If you can explain the how and why of your stance, I'll consider what you have to say. If you can't, I'm not going to bother.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
Not every DM is a kill-em-all bastard

The world is, and not every "kill-em all bastard" is really interested in killing them all, they just want their players to take reasonable precautions. When God told Adam that from now on the man's life would be hard and full of struggle, He was not laying down a punishment, but telling the mortal the simple facts of life. Life is hard and full of troubles, and things happen we'd much rather not. Things don't come easy, and things often happen we'd much rather didn't, and to say life will never throw you a loop is to lie.

If you want an easy, comfortable life, then adventuring is the worst choice you could make.
If you want an easy, comfortable life, then adventuring is the worst choice you could make.

To quote Q, from Star Trek:  "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid. "

However, it doesn't mean it's ALWAYS dangerous at all times.   I let my players rest as often as I feel the circumstances permit.   If my group is in the heart of Waterdeep, in a large well-known inn, they should have a reasonable expectation of a nice safe rest, without having to post a guard.   If they are in the middle of the castle of Jarrl the frost giant, they shouldn't expect to be able to grab six hours of safe rest just by hiding in a closet.

The world is

The world is what you and your players decide it is.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

The world is

The world is what you and your players decide it is.

YES, the operative word being AND. Thank you!

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Best defense that I've read in favor of having alignment systems as an option
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

I never stop my players from resting. Of course, I also don't stop the monster's plots from advancing when they do. It isn't "punishment", but rather "more realistic."

Consider:
"Hmmm, the outposts didn't check in. In fact, several layers of my minions have not reported in. It seems to be an almost direct line of fallen slaves. Perhaps I should consolidate my forces while I can. And have a teleport ritual ready. If they can get past all my guards, they might be able to actually kill me. So, I'll stay here, to boost my guards' morale(maintain my control-by-terror), and to keep my plans moving forward, but also activate all the traps and security. And have my back-up command ready."

that's a little better than:
"Oh, nothing can threaten me. My guards at the outposts are just there to die. Someone is saving me the trouble. I think I'll take a nap and wait to see what happens. Huh. They're at the door. Guess I should put my armor on..."