Plateau
Reliquary Tower
Rugged Prairie
Sacred Foundry
Slayers' Stronghold
Temple of the False God
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Vesuva

Currently dropped artifact lands for a mountain and plains. Removed a couple of bigger creatures in favor a few smaller ones to get more out early.
Aggravated Assault, Hellkite Charger too roll someone or spread the love around the table.

<----- Loser.

Shivan Meteor- replace with Riddle of Lightning or some other guaranteed removal, not a big fan of suspend, just lets people know its coming. Even hardcasted you could use somthing like Fissure

This  lets you manipulate your top deck and deal some great damage to a player or creature should you need that extra reach to bring someone down to zero via non general damage. With your high cmc deck you should be able to get the right card to kill what you want while manipulating your draw. Assuming you don't get screwed by 3 lands and a low converted mana cost card, your mileage may vary.

Mindcrank Remove it, unfortunately with 100 card decks and lots of recursion putting a lot of cards in someone's graveyard often helps more then it hurts. There are plenty of ways in EDH to get cards back from the grave to their hand.

Arrest to Faith's Fetters  does everything arrests does and more, changing from ony creature to permanents and nets you 4 life a nice bonus.

Replace Erase and divine offering with one or two of the following:

Duergar Hedge-Mage Removal, on a stick
Kor Sanctifiers More reliable removal on a stick
Orim's Thunder Removal with some added damage lets you kill weak utility creatures or perhaps stronger ones depending on what it targeted
Altar's Light Buh bye indestructibles
Return to Dust Better then the above due to the main phase clause
Banishing Stroke Tucking sometimes is better then removal with all the revival in the format, plus its verastile and has a miracle mechanic should it come at an opportune moment. User's beware however, the miracle cost may seem really nice and you may use it prematurely on something you don't really need to remove the field just yet and then something worse comes along.

I think I'll follow you on Riddle, Banishing Stroke and Return to Dust and replace Mindcrank with a Plains to improve land balance and fuel Emeria slightly better. As for Angel of Jubilation, I already have two other anthems, so maybe I'll take Hellkite Charger over her.
before you do i'd like to point out that jubilation hoses birthing pod and necropotence as well as a host of other spells/combos, thats why i keep her around, the random buff is occasionally relevent too
Thanks for pointing that out. She hoses Grimgrin too. One of the guys here at uni likes to abuse him with Rooftop Storm and Gravecrawler.
Even if you don't run them together for the 'oops I win' combo, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Zealous Conscripts are pretty fun and potent alone. I like Flametongue Kavu,Duplicant and Steel Hellkite in my 99 but I admit 2 toughness means kavu may be dying from your enchantments more than you like. 
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
Throwing in Ancient Den and Great Furnace would go a bit further in enabling Jor-Kadeen.  If you're looking to enable Emeria, there's always Land Tax, Tithe and Weathered Wayfarer.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

33 lands might be enough

...if you were running like 15 mana rocks.
33 lands might be enough

...if you were running like 15 mana rocks.

I didn't notice this when I first perused the deck, but metalevolence is definitely right.  Like most decks, the baseline for lands in a deck is 40%.  The general rule of thumb is that for every two pieces of ramp, you can remove one land.  I'd recommend removing Powerstone Minefield, Doubling Cube, Pyrohemia and Glorious Anthem for Boros Signet and three more lands.

Side note, this deck will make players hate you and as such, perhaps a Witchbane Orb and/or Leyline of Sanctity would be a good idea.

Seems like this deck is a natural home for Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion.

I think I'd drop the Trailblazer's Boots. Most creatures are not going to stand in your way for more than one turn anyway. Evasion seems superfluous.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Thanks for the help so far. I've updated the decklist in the first post.

Removed:
Battlefield Forge
Doubling Cube
Mindcrank - It still lead to some fun politics once with people swinging at each other.
Trailblazer's Boots
Shivan Meteor - I've never really bothered suspending it, used more for it's interaction with Repercussion.
Glorious Anthem
Pyrohemia

Replaced with:
Mountain
Plains
Command Tower
Temple of the False God
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Ancient Den
Great Furnace

I originally ditched the artifact lands due to easy removal, but usually there are more prominent targets around. But I'm not sure if Jor Kadeen alone is enough to justify using them over regular basics.

And I want to fit in Hellkite Charger too, maybe replacing Moonveil Dragon for him, and maybe put in Angel of Serenity for more reliable recursion.

EDIT: Now also replaced Noble Purpose with Hellkite Charger.
Also, Figure of Destiny because he's a Boros badass. 

you put that battlefield forge back in RIGHT THIS SECOND
Looking at your casting costs, your curve is very, very high (a usual problem for Boros decks, for sure).  Try to vary your casting costs as much as possible - your deck will play much smoother and more fluidly.  This may mean you have to give up on some big effects or creatures, but throwing in some glue cards (Solemn Simulacrum is a welcome addition to mana-starved Boros decks, for example - trust me, this card is never, ever overrated) will make your deck much more fun to play.  As is, your deck's curve essentially starts at 6, especially for creatures.  This mean that for most of the game you will, at most, be able to cast one spell per turn - any disruption (counterspells, targeted removal, Boardwipe, etc.) will set you back far more than someone else whose deck is more tuned.
I suggest some mana rocks (signets, Thran Dynamo, Everflowing Chalice - especially since you run manabarbs - it still damages you, and with your high curve, it will add up), maybe some cheapeners (Ruby Medallion, Quicksilver Amulet, Sneak Attack), and, especially, some efficiently-costed smaller creatures, since they swing for much more when your general is out (Mirran Crusader, Paladin en-Vec, Hound of Griselbrand), and aren't useless when she isn't, either.
Recursion is also very important for Boros to be able to recover and have staying power, though most of the options aren't cheap (casting cost-wise). Emeria is fine as long as you have a way to tutor out Plains for the long-game.  Sword of Light and Shadow is one of the best swords around - not only does it boost your creatures, but it gives protection to the two best colours at removal, and it allows you to recur creature cards to your hand. 

Other cards to consider:
Rolling Thunder - get rid of what you want.  X-spells are Boros' friends, as they scale with you.  And since you tke half damage when your general is out, don't be shy about spells that damage everyone and everything - Earthquake, Molten Disaster, etc.  In fact, if you're running Fire Servant, even good ol' Fireball isn't a bad idea (though there are still better options).
Ankh of Mishra is mean and fun, especially against ramp, one of Boros' worst matchups.
Depending on your meta, one-off damage spells aren't terrible either - Sudden Impact, Price of Progress, etc.  To get them back, Charmbreaker Devils is great, especially since he can get huge himself.
Stranglehold is one of the best cards for Boros decks.  First, it's ability is small enough that it won't be a "must kill" target for your opponents.  That's the beauty of it though - it's disruptive enough to have an effect on the game (especially against Ramp (can't tutor for a land)and Black decks), but at that sweet spot where people don't want to waste removal on it.  Plus, with only one coloured mana in its' casting cost, it's easy to get out.
Fireshrieker seems like it needs a home in your deck.  Even Grappling Hook.
Heartless Hidetsugu - one-shots all your opponents simultaniously, with Gisela out (as long as their life-totals are even, as they're likely to be when they're taking double-damage).
Stonehewer Giant - if you're running enough equipment, this guy is a beast.  Especially since he can attack with vigilance, then tutor the equipment equipped to himself.  Need protection?  Got protection.  Need doublestrike?  Sure thing.  Need shroud/hexproof?  He's on it.

Warmonger is nice and lulzy. It says "do nothing to me, and 2 damage to all of you". You can throw on Basilisk Collar for added fun.

Inferno Titan also goes with the theme: It's already six damage split to one each, and it's a 12/6 with ": ~ gets +2/+0 until EOT" for all practical purposes.

Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer now gives +6/+0 too, for the same reason.

Avacyn means you might consider adding Nevinyrral's Disk. Believe me, having both out is fun. (Hint: You destroy the Disk when you activate it. You don't sacrifice it.)

And of course, Koth of the Hammer. I prefer him with Animar, Kresh, Rith, and the like, where Prismatic Omen makes "basic land types matter" mechanics fun, but here, he can get out your fatties faster.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thanks for all the tips, bay.

Warmonger sounds fun politics wise. I've tried Pyrohemia for the same 2-0 reason, but hasn't worked all that well. Heartless Hidetsugu on the other hand feels more like a big middle finger who's gonna be sniped pretty darn fast. But I'll look into Quicksilver Amulet, Koth of the Hammer, Inferno Titan, Stranglehold, Nevinyrral's Disk, Molten Disaster, Solemn Simulacrum and Sword of Light and Shadow. Jor Kadeen and Charmbreakers are already present. As for X-spells, I have Comet Storm.

Looking through the cards I have, I can also think of Hero of the Bladehold, Belligerent Hatchling and Avatar of Fury to bring the curve down a little, the Avatar being an easy 2-drop in this format. Kuldotha Phoenix is a sort-of 4-drop from the graveyard. Agrus Kos and Nobilis of War are viable atlernatives alternatives to Hero of Bladehold with more souped up battle cry.

I think I'll do these changes for now:
Reya - Angel of Serenity - Slightly cheaper and less fun to remove when I've exiled stuff from my own graveyard
Darksteel Ingot - Everflowing Chalice - More potential mana
Bogardan Hellkite - Avatar of Fury - Slightly bigger, self pump and easily much cheaper
Artisan of Kozilek - Kuldotha Phoenix - Cheaper and can return itself
Moonsilver Spear - Grappling Hook - Double Strike > First Strike, not really sure if the forced block is more relevant than the free angel
Aether Flash - Nobilis of War - Snap is partly the reason I haven been running small creatures since they can die to it a little too easily. It's for now either him or Agrus. Agrus grants toughness boost, but is color dependent and has to attack while Nobilis can just sit there.
Made some more changes. Added Transcendent Master, Kargan Dragonlord, Serra Ascendant and a few others and dropped Ulamog, Iona and a couple of other large creatures that never really got to do anything in games so far. All updates in first post.
Sign In to post comments