Red & Black help

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all ...

I was busy sorting out my fat pack looking for cards to add to my Golgari Deck and noticed that I had planety red's ... so I slapped together a red deck (for my gf to use so I can practice) and I landed up liking the deck ...

Here is the deck -

How do you think this will fair in a tournament ... How can I improve it ?

All information would be greatly appreciated.

~Richard
More Cacklers, less Lizards.  Roustabouts and Thrill-Kill should probably be Gore-House Chainwalker.  It's just a more aggressive combination.

Lobercrew and the Cobblebrutes need to be Searing Spear.  Crasher, Ringleader, Mutt and Rend should probably be Pillar of Flame.  Removal is important, and Red gets their's as reach.

Impact should be pretty much any creature with converted mana cost 2 or less. 

I'm not a big fan of enchantments as boosts, but if you're enjoying the Glee, you can cut the Elecktrickery for 3 more Glees.  And you can try out Furor of the Bitten over Glee.  I'd either cut a Flailer for a 4th Thug, or cut the Thugs for 3 more Flailer.  Adds consistancy.

Archwing Dragon OR Hellrider are also things to look into.  Hellrider pushes more damage through, while Dragon dodges a lot of sorcery-speed removal by bouncing himself.

Other solid 1 cmc creatures are Stromkirk Noble and Reckless Waif.

Red aggro wants to hit the ground fast and hard so you'll want at least 8 1 cmc creatures and at least 8 2 cmc creatures.

If you can get Dragonskull Summits and Blood Crypts they'll greatly improve your manabase over basiclands.  2 Guildgates is all you should need if you can get 4 of each.  Also, I'm a big fan of Dreadbore to deal with larger blockers/threats.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Wow ... thanks for the great feedback !! ...

I will pop into my local shop and see what single cards they have on offer and maybe pop a booster or 2

Deviant Glee was actually slapped in on a whim due to its cost effectiveness and it boosts the lower guys nicely if pulled early ...

Could you explain Reckless Waif ... Transform ? ... (sorry if that is a noob question)

I think I know someone with 2 Gore-House and 4 spare searing speares ... So lets see how that goes ...

Does the deck sound okay so far (tournament ready) ? ... considering It was made just from a bunch of boosters ... lol ...

I really should post a thread on my Golgari deck .. really need help with that as my Fatpack contained rubbish ... lol
On the back of Recklass Waif is another card.  Unless you're using slip covers, you'll need 4 proxies (which you'll find 1 in the back over every Innistrad booster pack) to act as the Waifs while they're in your deck.

The act of fliping the card over from Waif (it's normal form) to it's other form is what Transform is.  You play Waif as a 1/1 and hope she Transforms on your opponent's turn into a nice 3/2 beatstick.  Then you make sure to never cast more than 1 spells a turn to keep her that way until the other player is dead.

The deck you posted is ok for casual play, but for any Tournament you'll find youself struggling.  You need speed if you want to compete. 
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
Your deck seems a bit all over the place, so I wouldn't call it 'tournament ready', but it has potential.

First of all, you should fix your manabase. The dual lands will help you tremendously.

Personally, I would go down the aggro route (that means no cards over 4cmc) and add on top of what you already have cards like Rakdos Cackler, Diregraf Ghoul, Gravecrawler, a couple of Vexing Devil, Geralf's Messenger and Hellrider/Desecration Demon... this, of course, if you can afford it. You also need removals. A playset of both Searing Spear and Pillar of Flame is pretty much mandatory. You could also consider running more glees, or, as Anubuss said, give up on them alltogether and take Furor of the Bitten.

Cards that you could really do without are the lizards, the assassin, lobber crew, hellhole flailer, cobblebrute, tenement crasher, rakdos ringleader/ragemutt, explosive impact and electrickery (not a bad card, but sideboard material at best).
Just some minor adjustments ... best I can do for now until I have more cash ... lol

Thanks for the help so far ... will keep tinkering  ...

Either my shuffling sucks or I am battling a bit with lands ... Maybe I will add a few more CMC 1's removing the Crasher, Ringleader and Ragemutt

Just a question ... The dual lan cards especially the guildgates ... Don't they slow the deck down a bit considering they come in tapped ? ...
The guildgates can slow it down a bit, but that doesn't matter so much in practice once you time putting them into play well. For example it's perfectly fine to lay a 1 drop turn one, then on turn two lay another 1 drop and a guildgate.

The Ravnica duals having the option to come into play straight at any time is why they're great, and as for the m13/innistrad ones(dragonskull summit etc,), they're pretty sweet because they come into play untapped pretty much every turn after the first one apart from rare occasions, and they're synergise brilliantly with the Ravnica duals.
I want to be Cultured.
Guildgates, yes, they slow you down.  That's why you really don't want more than 2 unless you REALLY need to color fixing.

Dragonskull Summit/Blood Crypt will almost never slow you down.  Summit comes into play untapped if you have a Mountain or Swamp in play, and Crypt will let you shock yourself to have it come into play untapped.  Add to that a Turn 1 Crypt enables a turn 2 Summit, because Crypt is a Mountain - Swamp.

Gravecrawler is terrible unless you're running other Zombies.  If you want to go this route, then check out the Zombies thread in the Tournamanet Center for ideas on what to shoot for.

24 lands is a little too many for Aggro, I try to stick to 22 or 23, but I also don't wun spells with cmc 5 or more.  If you're paying more than 3 mana for a spell, it better be worth it, and if I'm paying 5 or more, it better win me the game either this turn, or next turn.  How are you shuffeling?  That's probably the cause of your problems, unless you're trying to fire off those Impacts and those other 5+ cmc cards.
My Decks
Damn ... So I need to invest a boatload in those specific lands you mentioned ... ... I wish cards where cheaper in my country ... lol ...

The only reason I put in gravecrawler is cause a friend gave me 4 of them and they were CMC 1 ... I need to look for better CMC 1 monsters but seems I just started and don't have unlimited funds ... I am just experimenting with what I have ...

(if I understand the cost correctly) Would 2x Blistercoil Weird &, 2x Nivmagus Elemental be good replacements for the gravecrawlers ?

I only have that many lands cause of my higher CMC cards especially the Impacts which have helped me so far ... 5 damage is decent when the player has a harder chance blocking it ... ... Or am I being naive ?

When I am shuffling my deck after having the cards out in their respective groups the first thing I do is - Pile Shuffle followed by Overhand Shuffle and then I use Ripple Shuffle
5 damage is great, but not for Impact's cost.  If that's what you want to do, then run 2 or 3 Thunderous Wrath.  Top deck it and it's 5 to their face for 1 mana.

Nivmagus is a weird card.  He wants you to exile spells to make him bigger, while your spells would generally like to resolve.  He might be good as a SB card VS Counter-heavey decks, but unless you're running Guttersnipe it's probably best to stay away from him.

The Weird is ok.  If you have the Gravecrawlers on loan, then you might as well keep him in.  a 2/1 that can't block is about as good as either Weird or Nivmagus.  The problem is, with Gravecrawler and Cackler, your creature base starts to look like Zombies.  Add in 4 Diregraf Ghouls and you have their 1-drop creature base exactly.

Sounds like you're not quite shuffeling enough.  I generally use 3 pile shuffles with a few rifle shuffles in between before I think my decks been randomized sufficently.
My Decks
Both Blistercoil Weird and Nivmagus Elemental are pretty bad. Some cheap good 1 cmc cards would be Stonewright, Diregraf Ghoul, Goblin Arsonist. Also, if you get a playest of Diregraf ghouls, you can keep the gravecrawlers.

What you REALLY need to do is to get rid of the 5+ cmc cards (including explosive impact) and add some cheap creatures (like Knight of Infamy, Gore-House Chainwalker, Lightning Mauler) and some cheap spells (like Bump in the night, Pillar of Flame).

Still the deck looks far better than the initial version, so you are on the right track. 
I could drop out

And drop in

[deck]
3 Guttersnipe
2 Blistercoil Weird
2 Nivmagus Elemental
[/deck]

Using the Nivmagus' for their low cost and then ignoring their ability

Both Blistercoil Weird and Nivmagus Elemental are pretty bad. Some cheap good 1 cmc cards would be Stonewright, Diregraf Ghoul, Goblin Arsonist. Also, if you get a playest of Diregraf ghouls, you can keep the gravecrawlers.

What you REALLY need to do is to get rid of the 5+ cmc cards (including explosive impact) and add some cheap creatures (like Knight of Infamy, Gore-House Chainwalker, Lightning Mauler) and some cheap spells (like Bump in the night, Pillar of Flame).

Still the deck looks far better than the initial version, so you are on the right track. 

Let me see what I can do regarding those cards ... I will browse the singles in store and online (locally) and talk to my friend

Thanks for saying I am on the right track, I feel so lost ... haha ... it's almost like I am learning to play all over again considering we only played casually before ... now there is proper pressure ... Tongue Out
So I am busy placing an order for some singles ... came across this so far ...

and 1 more Guttersnipe

Also considering buying -

[deck]
4 Rix Maadi Guildmage
4 Street Spasm
4 Mogg Flunkies
4 Wall of Fire
[/deck]

But I am still browsing
Say no to Walls in Aggro decks.  They want to do exact opposists.
Say no to Flunkies.  He's too easy for your opponent to turn him into a dead card.

Add 2 Spears to that list. 

You can do without the Spasms and GUildmages.
My Decks
On the topic of Guttersnipe, do you want a burn deck, or do you want a B/R creature based aggro deck? Because in a creature heavy deck, I don't think he has a spot.

I would suggest Crimson Muckwader if creature aggro is what you want. He's cheap as chips and definitely underrated.
I want to be Cultured.
On the topic of Guttersnipe, do you want a burn deck, or do you want a B/R creature based aggro deck? Because in a creature heavy deck, I don't think he has a spot.

I was looking at using the walls to slow down the enemy especially if I am moving to an aggro burn deck using mostly CMC 1 and CMC 2 creatures ...

I would suggest Crimson Muckwader if creature aggro is what you want. He's cheap as chips and definitely underrated.

As I said above ... I am looking to make a Aggro burn deck ... so a bit of both ...
Aggro burn is a bit of an open ended concept.  You're either going to end up with an Aggro deck that looses some steam because you have too much burn, or a Burn deck that putters out to fast because you have too many creatures.

There are 2 formulas you should think about:

Aggro-Removal Heavey
16 Slots for Burn
22 Slots for Creatures
22 Slots for Land

Burn
20 Slots for Burn/Vexing Devil
12 Slots for Creatures
21 Slots for Land
7  Slots for utility (Card Draw)
My Decks
BIG CHANGES

I can replace the Flailers with Stonewrights if that is better
bump ?
BIG CHANGES

I can replace the Flailers with Stonewrights if that is better

First off, I'd cut the guildgates out, and swap some of the Swamps for Mountains. Since the maximum amount of mana demanded by any one card in this deck is four, I personally think that 24 land is a bit much. Also, your deck isn't all that greedy for black mana. As it stands, it looks like mountains should be your priority.
I'd cut Deviant Glee; you would probably want another creature in it's place in most situations. For a budget deck, I think Flailer is an okay card. Honestly, I'm not all that certain you want to cut it for Stonewright. However; I think Stonewright definitely has a place in this deck. Try out going to three Flailer and adding the four Stonewright in the spots freed up by cutting Glee and the guildgates.
Also, go Searing Spear over Annihilating Fire; the regeneration clause on the Fire isn't worth the extra mana, IMHO.
I'm not sold on Traitorous Instinct. I can see how it could be useful, but there are also situations where it would be dead in the hand. You might try Archwing Dragon in it's place, or add in more cheap creatures. Two I might look at would be Pyeheart Wolf or Ashmouth Hound.
As someone who often plays on a very tight budget, I can appreciate why you might want to stick to a rareless list like this; but I would definitely recommend you head over to SCG or a similar site and look at the RDW/RkDW list that have placed high in recent weeks, and consider picking up some of the cards that those decks are based on.  Specifically, I'd try to get a set of Ash Zealot, and, if at all possible, a few Hellrider. I know those cards are going up in price, but if you'r looking at improving your RkDW, I think they'd work wonders. Totally understandable if you don't want to spring for them, though.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I will probably try spring for the more expensive cards at a later stage ... right now fudns are really tight ...

I will definitely look at getting Pyreheart Wolf to replace my guttersnipes (more aggro less burn)

I had a few games this weekend and noticed that my biggest problems are hexproof creatures (luckily they aren't that common) and creature removal (when they manage to pull the bigger boys)

I just fiddled with my deck a bit and thought of this -

Out -
[deck]
4 Goblin Arsonist
1 Hellhole Flailer

2 Traitorous Instinct
1 Deviant Glee
[/deck]

In -
[deck]
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Ash Zealot
1 Gore-House Chainwalker

2 Auger Spree
2 Ultimate Price
2 Altar's Reap
1 Murder
[/deck]

I Still have to shuffle, do a few quick draws and see how the the deck handles ...

I also managed to get 2 more Gore-house Chainwalker's ... 4x Dynacharge's and 4x Tormented Soul's ... Which I am looking to fiddle with...

I am going to remove 1 more mountain but since I added more black I decided to keep the 2 guildgates in (while I test) and I might know some one that is willing to give me 4 Searing Spears (replacing my Annihilating Fire's) and 2 Brimstone Volley's ...
Sign In to post comments