Insurrection + sundial

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Insurrection and then Sundial of the Infinite let me keep everything forever, right?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
No. Sundial moves the game right to the cleanup step, and that's when Insurrection's effect ends.

Edit: Read Sundial's reminder text, it says so right on the card, that it makes Insurrection's effect end.
hmmm ok, thanks
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Insurrection and then Sundial of the Infinite let me keep everything forever, right?

Nope. You still lose control of the creatures when your turn ends with Sundial.

Sundial's rulings:

9/22/2011    Ending the turn this way means the following things happen in order: 1) All spells and abilities on the stack are exiled. This includes spells and abilities that can't be countered. 2) All attacking and blocking creatures are removed from combat. 3) State-based actions are checked. No player gets priority, and no triggered abilities are put onto the stack. 4) The current phase and/or step ends. The game skips straight to the cleanup step. The cleanup step happens in its entirety.

You lose control of the creatures in the Cleanup step (you also discard down to maximum hand size and damage marked on creatures is removed during this step).

Sundial works well with effects worded "at the beginning of the next end step", as these are delayed triggered abilities that use the stack (ending the turn in response exiles the ability from the stack)

Durations of "until end of turn" or "this turn" still ends when the turn ends.

[<o>]
on gatherer for sundial it says,

If Sundial of the Infinite's ability is activated before the end step, any "at the beginning of the end step"-triggered abilities won't get the chance to trigger that turn because the end step is skipped. Those abilities will trigger at the beginning of the end step of the next turn. The same is true of abilities that trigger at the beginning of other phases or steps (except upkeep).

so does that mean it would be the next players end step or am i reading that wrong?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
oh, ok  thanks
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

If Sundial of the Infinite's ability is activated before the end step, any "at the beginning of the end step"-triggered abilities won't get the chance to trigger that turn because the end step is skipped. Those abilities will trigger at the beginning of the end step of the next turn. The same is true of abilities that trigger at the beginning of other phases or steps (except upkeep).

so does that mean it would be the next players end step or am i reading that wrong?

Yes, the next end step will be the one of the next turn, no matter which player takes that turn.

Just in case, this has no bearing on Insurrection, which doesn't create a triggered ability.
ya, i realize it says "end of turn" not "end step"
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

Yes, in the next player's turn's end step - unless that end step is also skipped, in that cause it waits the following turn, and so on, until an end step actually starts...

Of course, this is if you use Sundial before the end step starts. If you let the end step start, the delayed trigger goes to the stack, and then you use the Sundial's ability, the trigger will be removed from the stack and won't trigger again in the next turn.

[<o>]
ya, i realize it says "end of turn" not "end step"

It's more about the "until end of turn" (effect's duration) not "at the end step" (delayed trigger). Old cards printed with "at end of turn" work as end step trigger not cleanup step duration.

[<o>]
ah, thank you very much i have a deeper understanding of mechanics now
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

so in the case of sudden disappearence, you would wait until the trigger was on the stack, and then clear the stack with sundial and it would never trigger again?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
yes
proud member of the 2011 community team