[GTC-ICD] Enter the Infinite

107 posts / 0 new
Last post


love it
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Boring design IS bad design.



Grizzly Bears.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I don't watch anime, but a few of my dorm friends convinced me to watch "Gurren Lagann" with them the other day. I can assume at least some people around here have seen it. I didn't really like it. It was entirely boring because the premise of the show seemed to be "Here's some SUPER HUGE BATTLESHIP RAAAAWR" and after the effect wore off they'd just make an even bigger ship next episode rather than having a good story or anything else to care about.


You've completely missed the point of that show. Well okay, there was a lot of over the top awesomeness, but it was also a lot of stuff about believing in yourself, and never giving up, even when there's a 0% chance of success (Plus a healthy amount of deconstruction o the giant robot genre and it's related tropes, even as it wholeheartedly embraces those tropes). 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
but it was also a lot of stuff about believing in yourself, and never giving up, even when there's a 0% chance of success



But those are the most cheesy nailed-into-you-already ideas society spoonfeeds you day in and day out. Hell, if I want to hear those I can just watch MLP. Honestly, the average pony episode has more plot that this show did. All it was was just robots smashing each other with a complete lack of any kind of logic, suspense, or drama.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

So...I guess this is the idea here?


Turn 11: Enter The Infinite
Turn 12: Omniscience

You know another two card combo that can win the game in that same amount of time?

Turn 11: Fireball for 10
Turn 12: Fireball for 10
So...I guess this is the idea here?


Turn 11: Enter The Infinite
Turn 12: Omniscience


No. Omniscience lets you cast Enter the Infinite for free, remember? So instead of Turn 12/Turn 13, you cast Omniscience Turn 10, then Enter the Infinite Turn 10, then everything else, Turn 10.
So...I guess this is the idea here?


Turn 11: Enter The Infinite
Turn 12: Omniscience


No. Omniscience lets you cast Enter the Infinite for free, remember? So instead of Turn 12/Turn 13, you cast Omniscience Turn 10, then Enter the Infinite Turn 10, then everything else, Turn 10.



I think he was pointing that you can precisely do it the other way around since you get one card in your library to have another turn and you most definetly will have Omniscience in your hand.

I guess you can have 1 Elixir of Imortality in said deck to save face if something go wrong


So...I guess this is the idea here?


Turn 11: Enter The Infinite
Turn 12: Omniscience

You know another two card combo that can win the game in that same amount of time?

Turn 11: Fireball for 10
Turn 12: Fireball for 10


Actually, I think the idea is:
Show and Tell Omniscience onto the battlefield. Cast Burning Wish for free, fetching Enter the Infinite. Cast your entire library.

I want to see someone react to this with Cerebral Vortex.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I want to see someone react to this with Cerebral Vortex.


Or Forced Fruition.
 a complete lack of any kind of logic,


 What I thought the point was.

Seriously, I generally dislike the whole mecha-shows, but I loved GL, mostly because it didnt take itself seriously. The entire point of the show was a comedy, and it worked there. If you are trying to watch any comedy for theme/plot value, I believe you are doing it wrong. (although they always have some, it isn't the point) 
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
I want to see someone react to this with Cerebral Vortex.


How much I would love to see the same, it means the EtI already resolved, so the player will probably have dozens of counters in hand.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

 a complete lack of any kind of logic,


 What I thought the point was.

Seriously, I generally dislike the whole mecha-shows, but I loved GL, mostly because it didnt take itself seriously. The entire point of the show was a comedy, and it worked there. If you are trying to watch any comedy for theme/plot value, I believe you are doing it wrong. (although they always have some, it isn't the point) 



But it wasn't funny. Where was the humor? Really big things? I don't think that counts as funny, especially when it's the only joke and is repeated over and over again.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?


(draw all cards...pass turn...battle of wits)


One With Nothing, then Psychic Spiral. 1 turn win mill deck and your cards go back into your library for BoW

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.

(draw all cards...pass turn...battle of wits)


One With Nothing, then Psychic Spiral. 1 turn win mill deck and your cards go back into your library for BoW



I "bow" down
Ironically, this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
but it was also a lot of stuff about believing in yourself, and never giving up, even when there's a 0% chance of success



But those are the most cheesy nailed-into-you-already ideas society spoonfeeds you day in and day out. Hell, if I want to hear those I can just watch MLP. Honestly, the average pony episode has more plot that this show did. All it was was just robots smashing each other with a complete lack of any kind of logic, suspense, or drama.



It has all of those. Granted that logic is basically "it works if you believe hard enough," but they stick to it and actually provide an explanation (Plus if you think about it, it's really just as plausible as "Wingardium Leviosa makes stuff float"). Drama I'm not even going to justify with a response (Well, I am, but my point is that comment leads me to assume you stopped after four episodes), since it could roughly be summarized as Rule of Cool and Mood Whiplash: The Animated Series. Plus it has some of the best villains. Hell, the villains are basically right, whereas the heroes rebuttal is basically "Nuh-Uh!" but you don't care because a giant robot just came out of a ****ing ring. Suspense is a dumb argument, because "everything works out more or less okay" has been done so much that even when a work breaks the mold, we don't find out about it until after the potential moment of suspense has passed (Although I think the show did have a few potentially suspenseful moments, and definitely subverts your expectations at times).

I mean obviously the show is built on machismo, and a giant robot show is gonna have giant robots, and it's cool if that's not your thing, but that doesn't make it a bad show. For example, I'm not a big fan of Ghost in the Shell (Although it's starting to grow on me), but I acknowledge it's a good show with interesting themes and such.

But it wasn't funny. Where was the humor? Really big things? I don't think that counts as funny, especially when it's the only joke and is repeated over and over again.


 It's not really funny in an "I FELL ONTO MY BOTTOM INTO SOME BUTTERSCOTCH" sort of way, more of a cross between deconstruction and parody. Like, a lot of it is just very tongue in cheek. For example, a pretty common trait of the Shonen genre is the hot blooded protagonist. So Gurren Lagann gives us the most hot blooded protagonist ever.
Show
who ends up not even being the protagonist
 
And yeah, the whole "Taking everything to 11" is part of that too. Hell, that's sort of the central theme of the show, but it's not like they're just like "Look how cool this is!" more along the lines of it becoming a key plot point later in the series and sort of the entire source of conflict between the heroes and the villains. 

Honestly I'd reccommend watching the whole show from start to finish before passing judgment (Or hell, episodes 1-11 even would give you a pretty accurate microcosm, though then you'd miss out on a lot of the plot), but either way whatevs. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I doubt that I'll ever play this card, but it should've been name-switched with Omniscience imho.
It fits the name more.
I want to see someone react to this with Cerebral Vortex.


How much I would love to see the same, it means the EtI already resolved, so the player will probably have dozens of counters in hand.


Well, that has a lot to do with the setting you use it in. Yes, if you do this in Legacy or something, you probably have enough FoW's in your hand for the rest of your life. But at the same time, why are you playing Cerebral Vortex in Legacy? It was more for the casual EDH setting where you tap all of them lands to draw a bunch of cards, hoping to kill everyone on your next turn.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

but it was also a lot of stuff about believing in yourself, and never giving up, even when there's a 0% chance of success



But those are the most cheesy nailed-into-you-already ideas society spoonfeeds you day in and day out. Hell, if I want to hear those I can just watch MLP. Honestly, the average pony episode has more plot that this show did. All it was was just robots smashing each other with a complete lack of any kind of logic, suspense, or drama.



It has all of those. Granted that logic is basically "it works if you believe hard enough," but they stick to it and actually provide an explanation (Plus if you think about it, it's really just as plausible as "Wingardium Leviosa makes stuff float"). Drama I'm not even going to justify with a response (Well, I am, but my point is that comment leads me to assume you stopped after four episodes), since it could roughly be summarized as Rule of Cool and Mood Whiplash: The Animated Series. Plus it has some of the best villains. Hell, the villains are basically right, whereas the heroes rebuttal is basically "Nuh-Uh!" but you don't care because a giant robot just came out of a ****ing ring. Suspense is a dumb argument, because "everything works out more or less okay" has been done so much that even when a work breaks the mold, we don't find out about it until after the potential moment of suspense has passed (Although I think the show did have a few potentially suspenseful moments, and definitely subverts your expectations at times).

I mean obviously the show is built on machismo, and a giant robot show is gonna have giant robots, and it's cool if that's not your thing, but that doesn't make it a bad show. For example, I'm not a big fan of Ghost in the Shell (Although it's starting to grow on me), but I acknowledge it's a good show with interesting themes and such.

But it wasn't funny. Where was the humor? Really big things? I don't think that counts as funny, especially when it's the only joke and is repeated over and over again.


 It's not really funny in an "I FELL ONTO MY BOTTOM INTO SOME BUTTERSCOTCH" sort of way, more of a cross between deconstruction and parody. Like, a lot of it is just very tongue in cheek. For example, a pretty common trait of the Shonen genre is the hot blooded protagonist. So Gurren Lagann gives us the most hot blooded protagonist ever.
Show
who ends up not even being the protagonist
 
And yeah, the whole "Taking everything to 11" is part of that too. Hell, that's sort of the central theme of the show, but it's not like they're just like "Look how cool this is!" more along the lines of it becoming a key plot point later in the series and sort of the entire source of conflict between the heroes and the villains. 

Honestly I'd reccommend watching the whole show from start to finish before passing judgment (Or hell, episodes 1-11 even would give you a pretty accurate microcosm, though then you'd miss out on a lot of the plot), but either way whatevs. 



Read Berserk, plenty of drama and plot line there. As long you can deal with some disturbing imagery and situations. The manga is the way to go, since the short lived animated series stopped less than 1/4th of the way into the story line. They are working on a movie line for them though, the first 2 have already been released in Japan and the 3rd should be coming out in January. I believe around the same time the 3rd comes out in theaters in Japan they will be localizing them here to the U.S. in English, if you aren't into subs and whatnot. Definitely worth looking into if you like Anime/Manga but are looking for something a bit more "Adult" in themes and content.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
My favorite artists sister is wowing me more and more.

Also this seems like an insanely fun card. 


It has all of those. Granted that logic is basically "it works if you believe hard enough," but they stick to it and actually provide an explanation (Plus if you think about it, it's really just as plausible as "Wingardium Leviosa makes stuff float").



Wigardium Leviosa has rules attached. You have to be a powerful wizard, recite an incantation, have magic in your blood, the object has to be somewhat small, etc. etc. A wizard could move a pebble easily but couldn't make an entire continent levitate. Contrastingly, how big does the enemy ship have to be before "believing in yourself" stops being enough? There isn't any limit; the show seems to think that believing in yourself is in fact the only thing that matters. At that point all suspense and logic is flushed down the toilet because the main character essentially becomes God. He can do anything by believing in himself, so nothing matters anymore.




Drama I'm not even going to justify with a response (Well, I am, but my point is that comment leads me to assume you stopped after four episodes), since it could roughly be summarized as Rule of Cool and Mood Whiplash: The Animated Series. Plus it has some of the best villains. Hell, the villains are basically right, whereas the heroes rebuttal is basically "Nuh-Uh!" but you don't care because a giant robot just came out of a ****ing ring. Suspense is a dumb argument, because "everything works out more or less okay" has been done so much that even when a work breaks the mold, we don't find out about it until after the potential moment of suspense has passed (Although I think the show did have a few potentially suspenseful moments, and definitely subverts your expectations at times).



I'll admit I missed a few episodes (namely where Kamina dies, which appartently is the worst thing in the entire world forever), but if a show is poor sans one or two episodes, then the show is not good. The death in the beginning of UP is easily the best part of the movie (in my/popular opinion) but the rest of the movie is still interesting, engaging, funny, and at the very least pulls it's weight. If this show depended so heavily on those few moments I missed, it can't be as good as everyone says it was. I also fail to see how the villians are the "best villians". The big black guy is just a strereotypical big-bad with an even more stereotypical "Snape was good all along". The anti-spirals were just other big-bads. Sure, they had motivations, and their motivations made sense, but they were confounded by the fact that the main characters gave zero s***s about anything they had to say. They might as well have had beeswax in their ears for all the differnce the anti-spiral motives made to the plot


I mean obviously the show is built on machismo, and a giant robot show is gonna have giant robots, and it's cool if that's not your thing, but that doesn't make it a bad show. For example, I'm not a big fan of Ghost in the Shell (Although it's starting to grow on me), but I acknowledge it's a good show with interesting themes and such.



Fair enough. I feel as though it could have done better in conjunction with the robots though.


It's not really funny in an "I FELL ONTO MY BOTTOM INTO SOME BUTTERSCOTCH" sort of way, more of a cross between deconstruction and parody. Like, a lot of it is just very tongue in cheek. For example, a pretty common trait of the Shonen genre is the hot blooded protagonist. So Gurren Lagann gives us the most hot blooded protagonist ever.
Show
who ends up not even being the protagonist
 
And yeah, the whole "Taking everything to 11" is part of that too. Hell, that's sort of the central theme of the show, but it's not like they're just like "Look how cool this is!" more along the lines of it becoming a key plot point later in the series and sort of the entire source of conflict between the heroes and the villains. 



I get the aspects of parody, but it got old fast. Each episode they just scaled everything up a unit and after a few episodes that gets boring. I don't see how the super-mecha-double-guerran becoming the super-mecha-triple-guerran has any real plot significance.



3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

At that point all suspense and logic is flushed down the toilet because the main character essentially becomes God. He can do anything by believing in himself, so nothing matters anymore.


To be blunt, you're missing the point. Fiction isn't just about drama and suspense, it's also about style and spectacle. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann isn't about making you question whether or not Kamina & Co will win, it's to look good doing it.

If you want to say that it is entertaining on the level of porn I would not argue with you, but I think you're going too far. To put it in Magic: the Gathering terms, just because you're a Spike does not mean that a Vorthos's appreciation of a card is invalid, or vice versa.
...I can't think of a single application for this, aside from Laboratory Maniac. I guess I'm not a true Johnny.


Eh, it's not really a Johnny card (Well beond the whole "every card is a Johnny card" thing). Timmy is the one who's all "I WANT A CARD TO DRAW MY LIBRARY!" whereas  Johnny is like "No, no, break it into pieces and scatter them across time, it'll be fun."

Hell, it's not even new, Spike/Johnnies already took the deck to srsbsns magic with Angel's Grace Ad Nauseam into Conflagrate.



I don't know, I consider myself johnny and the first thing I thought of was a :R::U: deck filled rituals (primarily Seething Song) and burn spells that focuses on getting out Galvanoth early in the game. Then using Faithless Looting to discard this and Noxious Revival to cast it for free on your next upkeep.
Increasing Ambition or Diabolic Revelation work better with Omniscience IMHO. Unless of course you are cheating Omniscience into play, though they are still probably better in that case as well. 
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
I want to see someone react to this with Cerebral Vortex.


How much I would love to see the same, it means the EtI already resolved, so the player will probably have dozens of counters in hand.


Well, that has a lot to do with the setting you use it in. Yes, if you do this in Legacy or something, you probably have enough FoW's in your hand for the rest of your life. But at the same time, why are you playing Cerebral Vortex in Legacy? It was more for the casual EDH setting where you tap all of them lands to draw a bunch of cards, hoping to kill everyone on your next turn.



New SB tech (with a Volcanic Island of course) against Omni-Tell...duh!
I'd rather play with Dream Halls than Omniscience if only because standard is dumb.

Skirge Familiar could come in handy if you like using mana, though.  I suppose some spells require it for X costs.
I'm sure this has been said already but I don't feel like reading 7 pages;
Laboratory Maniac.  That is all.
My friend and I have been trying to pound out a deck for this card since I've showed it to him. Honestly, the only application available is Omniscience, Laboratory Maniac, and a crapton of draw spells. Also, green for ramping into Omniscience early.

Won't be "competitive" by any means, but hell if it ain't fun. 

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

Completely worthless card except in limited and even that's debatable.

Unless there's a card that says "blue spells that cost more than 7 cost 5 less to play, completely worthless and unplayable.

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

 

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  
 

Limited?

I can't remember the last time I saw a limited game reach the 12 mana mark.
Although everyone is saying monoblue, its greatest potential feels much more green to me.

Overbeing of Myth // Maro // Masumaro, First to Live

Green has the ability to amp mana like no other, making that high cost a breeze.

Smash an Elixir of Immortality.

Or Wild Mongrel your hand, then hit the bottle.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

I dunno, I'm sure OMNIDOOR THRAGFIRE will find a use for it.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Limited?

I can't remember the last time I saw a limited game reach the 12 mana mark.



Rise of the Eldrazi limited has before.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Fair enough, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

12-post
Islands
Omniscience
Enter the Infinite

...and anything else, really.


I hate the design of this card so much.

HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Wonder how long it will be until someone tries to Boundless Realms into this and/or Omniscience.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Fair enough, but that's the exception rather than the rule.



True. It's also the only time in over a decade that I drafted green. Well, black/green, anyway.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I'm aware monoblue has Aeon Chronicler // Soramaro, First to Dream // Sturmgeist.

Psychosis Crawler is another option. It'd win you the game outright.

But I don't like the feel of monoblue as much as with green, which adds a special something to it.

Just thinking about a 60/60 Masumaro makes me grin (and Empyrial Plate would triple it).

EDH Jhoira is likely going to eat this up alongside Burning Wish.

As could the turn one win Omniscience-Wish deck I was talking about at the release of M13.

By the way guis, Long-Term Plans // Shelldock Isle (Hideaway lands) is the strongest combo for this.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

By the way, Long-Term Plans is unplayable.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Sign In to post comments