Cavern of Souls, Runechanter's Pike, and Rewind

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I cast Dark Impostor with Cavern of Souls (Vampires named) and 2 Swamps. My opponent has a Runechanter's Pike on the battlefield. To increase the power boost given by the Pike, my opponent casts Rewind, targeting Dark Imposter. He says Rewind resolves, but doesn't counter Dark Imposter, and he gets to untap four lands. Is this correct?
I cast Dark Impostor with Cavern of Souls (Vampires named) and 2 Swamps. My opponent has a Runechanter's Pike on the battlefield. To increase the power boost given by the Pike, my opponent casts Rewind, targeting Dark Imposter. He says Rewind resolves, but doesn't counter Dark Imposter, and he gets to untap four lands. Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.  He can still target the Imposter with the Rewind.  When the Rewind resolves it will try to counter the spell, but can't.  He still gets to untap the lands, since that is not dependent on the spell being countered.

See Fold into Aether for an example of an effect that is dependent on the spell getting countered.

Yes, that's a legal play on your opponent's part.  Much like you can cast Murder on an Indestructable creature, you can cast a counter spell on a creature that can't be countered (baring any other complications).

Counter only cares about the spell/ability being on the stack, it doesn't care that it won't achieve it's primary goal (I.E. remove the spell from the stack).
Sign In to post comments