Help me make Kirito

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

I was wondering if anyone could help me make a Kirito type character in D&D 4e?

If you do not know, Kirito is a character in the anime Sword Art Online. He is a sword using dual weilder, though most of the time he only uses one blade. He has a strong dedication to not letting anyone in his party die, but he is neither healer nor tank. He is extremely fast, so fast in fact that he was ranked with the best reaction speed and granted the ability to dual weild. He has no ranged combat ability and only recently has he learned to use his illusion powers.
I would say either a straight dual wielding Ranger (two blade) or a Ranger|Cleric hybrid (also dual blade). A strong focus on multi-attacks fits thematically as well as mechanically. Str/Dex fits the theme a little more, but the Str/Wis hybrid using scale will be more optimized. I'd refer to the Ranger Handbook for more ideas/builds.
Hybrid Ranger|Whirlybarb. Str/Dex, Githzerai Blade Master with a pair 'o bastard swords. MC Monk and powerswap for Quicksilver Motion and maybe take Soaring Blade PP if you want to be optimized-ish.  Take Samurai theme, Improved Initiative/Danger Sense/Battle Harness. 

ED Reincarnate Champion, immediately grab tiefling as your second race, then Secrets of Belial for Borrowed Confidence. (Also set your Soaring Blade damage to fire, use firewind blades, and cheese out with tiefling support).

Ok, so now you open by winning initiative, get your 18-20 crit range on, Borrowed Confidence to double roll, then Quicksilver Motion into Hurricane into Blade Cascade into Minor Attack x2 and utterly shred someone's face off.

Take utilities like Nomad's Rush or Ranger's Parry to duplicate his amazing speed. 

I can't help you with duplicating the incest part though, you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.
Guilty as charged. And don't even get me started on how much I love Girls Und Panzer.
You have terrible taste in anime.

Agreed. 
I can't help you with duplicating the incest part though, you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

Kirito is in love with Asuna... His cousin is in love with him, not the other way around. GIRLS und PANZER is entertaining too. In regards to this build, I felt this was a pretty effective Kirito.

a bit of a necro (didn't think it warranted a new thread), but i was following renzhe's advice and came up with this.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

githz barb|ranger/monk, level 21
Githzerai, Barbarian|Ranger, Soaring Blade, Reincarnate Champion
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Feral Might
Feral Might: Whirling Slayer
Choose Weapon Group for your Level 10 Samurai Feature: Heavy blade (Level 10 Samurai Feature)
Past Spirit: Past Spirit (Tiefling)
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy (Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 24, Con 13, Dex 22, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 18, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 26 Fort: 31 Reflex: 30 Will: 25
HP: 126 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +24, Perception +19, Stealth +21, Acrobatics +26, Insight +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Bluff +13, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +11, Heal +14, History +12, Intimidate +15, Nature +14, Religion +12, Streetwise +13, Thievery +16

FEATS
Level 1: Githzerai Blade Master
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Improved Initiative
Level 6: Monastic Disciple
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 21: Secrets of Belial

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Monastic Disciple: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows
Hybrid encounter 1: Whirling Frenzy
Hybrid daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Hybrid utility 2: Savage Growl
Hybrid encounter 3: Ruffling Sting
Hybrid daily 5: Feral Rampage
Hybrid utility 6: Death Threat (retrained to Quicksilver Motion at Acolyte Power)
Hybrid encounter 7: Curtain of Steel
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Resume the Hunt
Hybrid encounter 13: Storm of Blades (replaces Whirling Frenzy)
Hybrid daily 15: Blade Cascade (replaces Jaws of the Wolf)
Hybrid utility 16: Ranger's Parry (retrained to Borrowed Confidence at Secrets of Belial)
Hybrid encounter 17: Off-Hand Diversion (replaces Ruffling Sting)
Hybrid daily 19: Rock Tree Rage (replaces Feral Rampage)

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

is this how it should go? i have 6 open feats (7 even, if i get rid of improved initiative). i'm not familiar with tiefling fire cheese, don't know about optimal equipment for epic, nor if i'm hitting benchmark defenses.

anyone out there kind enough to help me fill in the blanks? i feel like i'm not doing a ranger build right with only a single minor action attack; but i don't know what i'd cut to make room for it. curtain of steel for ruffling sting, maybe?

i beseech thee great char opers, give me your input.
It's harder to say because Lv 21 is an awkward level where you don't get all of your epic-tier equipment, but basically, let's take your base build and alter it slightly.

If you start with a 18-10-14-8-11-10 array, apply the +2 Bumps in Dex/Wis, you'll end at 21 with 24-12-22-10-15-10. If starting prior to epic tier, I'd either swap Con for Wis and just accept that you'll never access Superior Will, or settle for a 16-12-16-8-12-10 pre-racial starting array instead. From there, we add the following minimum equipment:

+4 Firewind Blade, +3 Magic Ki Focus, +1 Shielding Blade, +4 Battle Harness Hide, +4 Timeless Locket, Elven Chain Shirt, Heroic tier versions of belt/boots/headgear for +1 NADs each

Attacks are made a +27 vs AC with the Firewind Blade (65% hit rate, 75% with CA). Keep the Firewind Blade in your Offhand, because you make more attacks with your offhand than your main hand (Use offhand on every ranger minor, and every barbarian power. The only time you use your main hand are Twin Strike and Blade Cascade)

Your defenses come out to about 36/36/35/31, which is fairly acceptable at this level. That 31 bumps to a 35 with Epic Will, which you take immediately at 21 via retrain.

Your Feat tree looks like this:

1. Expertise
2. Hybrid Talent
4. Gith Blademaster
6. MC Monk
8. Acolyte Powerswap
10. Improved Initiative
11. Improved Defenses
12. Danger Sense
14. Reserve Manuver (Trade your E11 for Ruffling Sting)
16. [Freebie slot] Skill Power (Insightful Riposte) (Retrain into Superior Will ASAP)
18. [Freebie slot] Cunning Stalker? (Retrain into Hellfire Blood ASAP)
20. Epic Will (retrain from whatever)
21. Secrets of Belial 

Powers are fine for the most part. Note the use of Reserve Manuver to generate another minor encounter attack. The daily setup I prefer with this build is Tiger Claw Rage/Blade Cascade/Cruel Cage of Steel. Tiger Claw Rage has a special place in this build - with it on, you do exactly as much damage on a miss with a Twin Strike as you would on a hit, for that one encounter a day where you just don't f***ing care. And if you don't care for that setup, try Attacks On the Run/Cascade/Torrent of Destruction

Hope this helps, and thanks for the attention to this. I haven't had a chance to playtest this yet, but did have the theorybuild about 90% complete. If you take this out for a spin, let me know how it works for you.
thank you.

i've lurked char op for a decent amount of time, and from my perspective as someone kind of, "outside" the more frequent familiars, you always seem not only well informed, but kind and helpful as well.

keep being rad.