Deblared blocker removal

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello guys!

I need a rules clarification:
A player declares an attacker. Then a player declares a blocker. The attacking player assumes priority and casts an isntant that removes
(e.g. exile) the creature declared as blocker. What happens next, in the combat damage step? Is the damage dealt to the player or not?
A blocked creature cannot deal combat damage to the player or planeswalker it attacked unless it has trample or a similar ability. Even if all blocking creatures are somehow removed, the creature does not become unblocked. If there is no creature blocking the attacker anymore, it simply deals no combat damage.
A blocked creature cannot deal combat damage to the player or planeswalker it attacked unless it has trample or a similar ability. Even if all blocking creatures are somehow removed, the creature does not become unblocked. If there is no creature blocking the attacker anymore, it simply deals no combat damage.

Thank you for your answer, although your last sentence puzzled me more :P

So, you are suggesting that even if a blocker is removed BEFORE the actual combat damage step (i.e. in the "declare blockers" step), the attacker's damage will NOT be dealt to the player, right?

So, you are suggesting that even if a blocker is removed BEFORE the actual combat damage step (i.e. in the "declare blockers" step), the attacker's damage will NOT be dealt to the player, right?

That's correct, unless the attacker has trample.  If the attacker has trample, all of the damage will go to the defending player/planeswalker.

That's correct, unless the attacker has trample.  If the attacker has trample, all of the damage will go to the defending player/planeswalker.

Thank you for the clarification!
I have a question: How does trample damage go through if no damage was actually dealt to the blocking creature. As they never exchanged damage than there is no way for the game to "check for" trample damage. In this case wouldn't my removed deathtouch dreature still kill this trampler. 

I guess I understand it wrong but doesn't a creature with trample have to apply above and beyond damage to a creature for trample to even trigger? Would my removed Deathtouch creature still kill? 
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
in the "combat damage step" the attacking creature assigns lethal damage to the blockers and then the rest to the player
since there is no more blocking creature all damage goes to the player

your deathtouch creature is not around to deal damage, so the attacker will be fine
proud member of the 2011 community team
I guess I understand it wrong but doesn't a creature with trample have to apply above and beyond damage to a creature for trample to even trigger?

Trample isn't triggererd, activated or any other form of on/off ability.  It is always on and simply modifies the damage assignment order by including the defending player/planswalker as the last object in the list.  If you removed all blocking creatures, the defending player/planeswalker is the only legal choice for the attacking creature's damage since it's the only object in the damage assignment order.
702.18c If an attacking creature with trample is blocked, but there are no creatures blocking it when damage is assigned, all its damage is assigned to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

in the "combat damage step" the attacking creature assigns at least lethal damage to the blockers and then the rest to the player