Godhead vs. Lhurgoyf

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just curious as to how Godhead of Awe and Lhurgoyf (and similar) would interact. Which p/t would win out?

I thought it was whichever had the more recent timestamp, because Lhurgoyf has a p/t setting ability like the godhead, but wanted to double check. Thanks.

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Lhurgoyf is definitely a cda ability, godhead's setting the p/t, it's not a cda because it's not setting it for itself but both abilities set a p/t, it's the same layer so it's applied in timestamp order.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

@Zoidberg: these effects are on the same layer but that layer has sublayers, and they are on different sublayers, so it's not about timestamp.

Lhurgoyf's ability is a characteristic-defining ability - it doesn't just set the p/t, it defines it. So it's always applied first, while Godhead's ability is applied later (meaning Godhead 'wins' here, Lhurgoyf is 1/1), regardless of timestamp order.

613.3a. Layer 7a: Effects from characteristic-defining abilities that define power and/or toughness are applied. See rule 604.3.
613.3b. Layer 7b: Effects that set power and/or toughness to a specific number or value are applied.

[<o>]
Thank you for the answers!

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

@Zoidberg: these effects are on the same layer but that layer has sublayers, and they are on different sublayers, so it's not about timestamp.

Lhurgoyf's ability is a characteristic-defining ability - it doesn't just set the p/t, it defines it. So it's always applied first, while Godhead's ability is applied later (meaning Godhead 'wins' here, Lhurgoyf is 1/1), regardless of timestamp order.

613.3a. Layer 7a: Effects from characteristic-defining abilities that define power and/or toughness are applied. See rule 604.3.
613.3b. Layer 7b: Effects that set power and/or toughness to a specific number or value are applied.

Oh, damn. Of course, and I knew that. I stand corrected, thanks! :D

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments