Bring Back Encounter Powers?

D&DN makes me laugh at times. Signaature spells are more or less encounter powers by any other name and they have already added at wills. They may have 4th ed written all over them but 3.5 had them in the Book of Nine Swords IIRC and 3.5 aso had at wills in the form of reserve feats and Pathfinder has elements of at wills and encounter powers as well even if they are disguised as 3/times per day or XYZ number of rounds per day.

Not saying they need to bring back AEDU across the board but it  makes sense for things like the Dragonborn race and it would be a great way to make the races more interesting as well. Elven accuracy for example fits with elves being accurate with bows and it could be applied to magic attacks as well for elven wizards and clerics. Not all races for example need to have a racial power as long as they have something that is relevent for them.

Now this leads to class design. I'm not 100% convinced that the new monk is very good and I do not like that they seem to be adding expertise dice every martial class- fighter, monk and rogue so far. The Warlock would be a good candidate for some encounter powers IMHO. Balance can be important but we all now what is broken from 3.5 and 4th ed and I would like to see some classes designed a bit more like 2nd ed ones. In pre 3rd ed some classes were more or less designed along the lines of "winging it".

I'm starting to loath ED dice. The concept is good but I have concerns it is going to be overused and it ruins the whole bounded accuracy thing in terms of skill checks with skill mastery and mighty exertion. I do not want to see ED dice used on classes like the Ranger, Paladin and maybe Warlord. One could even make encounter powers optional via feats like in 4th ed and Star Wars Saga. If one doesn't want to use them for whatever reason don't take the feat.

The concept of encounter powers is a great one IMHO. 4th ed may have overused them as every class had them and a large part of 4th eds class and role structure was built around AEDU. One doesn't have to bring back AEDU at all but I can see a use for encounter powers replacing XYZ times per day/round abilities from pre 4th ed D&D going back to 1st and 2nd ed class abilities as well.

Fear is the Mind Killer

I am going to agree with this. Encounter powers were fanatastic, especially for races. I don't know why they're avoiding them when they're such a great way to work so many things.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Yeah, Signature spells, a bad "obfuscation" of the per-encounter deal; talk about immersion breaking and board-game/skirmish action, IMO.

Yep.  That's about right.
I really like encounter powers.

Now, where will this thread go from here, I wonder?
My like/dislike of encounter powers depends on the proposed power.  On one end I like the fighter class pretty much as is though I would like more variety of maneuvers and I love Expertise Dice (was going to abbreviate that but decided discretion was the better part of discussion).  On the other the wizard traditions I am neutral to the signature spell only because they have to rely on it so heavily at low levels.  But perhaps that could be solved by allowing greater access to picking signature spells.    
I suggest a module about overerxertion. 

Some no magic tricks only could be used once because they are about surprise factor. I can´t imagine a fighter can´t do trick A because is tired but he can do trick B and C. If character is tired shouldn´t can  more efforts until after resting. 

I think some martial encounter powers can´t be spent without a Stor save againt overerxetion effect or only if the character has got the special condition "full of energy".

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I just worry that with DDN trying to distance itself from 4E, it'll lose some of the good ideas. After all, signature spells are just like encounter spells but you can only have one, ever!
I think the idea of powers (spells, maneuvers, whatever) that aren't at will but recharge more often than daily is okay.  I just think there needs to be something other than "encounter" to define it.  I didn't like the 4e system of encounters, I like more freeform progression through an adventure-be it dungeon crawl or diplomatic encounter.  Luis Carlos brings up a good point that if a character is too tired (or otherwise unable) to pull off one tough stunt, how can they pull off another?  Maybe there could be a pool of rechargeable spells, and once every X minutes the character could use one of them.  Just an idea

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

I think the idea of powers (spells, maneuvers, whatever) that aren't at will but recharge more often than daily is okay.  I just think there needs to be something other than "encounter" to define it.  I didn't like the 4e system of encounters, I like more freeform progression through an adventure-be it dungeon crawl or diplomatic encounter.  Luis Carlos brings up a good point that if a character is too tired (or otherwise unable) to pull off one tough stunt, how can they pull off another?  Maybe there could be a pool of rechargeable spells, and once every X minutes the character could use one of them.  Just an idea

I have 1 encounter power it allows my character to do a super leap... when I do it I strain a calve muscle it...  which I can bull past for most of my moves but pretty much makes that one move a one shot. Once I get an opportunity to relax and stretch it.. Im up for another.

Spells dont call on just one source of power and like physical activities they strain different elements of the psyche how long that part takes to recover is ummm shrug (could be ten minutes an hour a day). 

I have encounter power I can supress pain temporarily because I emotionally investing in one action the success of which triggers endorphins... I have to calm down to pull it off again, its not fatiguing actually.

I have an encounter power that is a trick ... which once its revealed is pretty much not going to be  work against anyone who seen it used recently. (you might attempt it at a penalty but usually it often wont be worth it)
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I mostly disagree with adding encounter powers to most classes. Combat in Next seems very fast maybe 3 rounds average, encounter powers seem like they would just make such short combats always feel the same. If you have 1 or 2 encounter powers that are way better then your manuevers, then it just means EVERY combat your going to lead with them.

This seems like it will undermine all of the tactical complexity of XD and leave us with too many obvious "easy-button" solutions. It would just mean the real tactical plays in combat would just begin in round three after everone has extinguished their encounter powers. 

I would be okay with encounter powers that are not actions, but instead things more like words of power in application, I like the idea of them not being "power moves" but changing how players play or giving a one turn buff to the player or group. 

Examples of encounter powers I WOULD be okay with:
Fighter: 1/encounter fighter can choose to reroll any XD until the end of his next turn.
Rogue: 1/encounter rogue can make a skill check without spending an action.

As far as power moves, I'd prefer a few Daily powers as a general mechanic.

My mind is a deal-breaker.

I think encounter utility powers offer a really cool benefit (esp. If tied to race).I would dig seeing (as has been discussed in several other threads) a way to "burn" XD to do exceptionally strenuous maneuvers. These dice wouldn't be recovered until after a short rest. Sure. Go nova. The rest of the fight won't be nearly as fun.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
The problem has always been martial classes having encounter and daily powers. Those don't make sense. Everyone who doesn't like vancian magic (probably most of us) enjoy spell casters having at will and encounter spells. That's the difference. There is no logical reason to limit martial characters in such a way.
True. Grognards get it the worse. You get a Vancian tradition smeared with AEDU. Encounter powers would do the same to other classes.
I like encounter powers, but I don't think it would make the game more fun to play if I'm imagining it, so I can live without it.
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
The problem has always been martial classes having encounter and daily powers. Those don't make sense.

They make perfect sense to anybody willing to listen to something new. The only problem with martial encounter and daily abilities is some people being unable to get past their preconceived notions of what those limiters are meant to represent. To contrast, I see many experienced gamers who have issue with them but have not met even a single new player who thought they were any more immersion-breaking than encounter or daily spells.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Really, the issue I had with 4e was its execution. I don't mind having some abilities used on a per-encounter basis. I don't see any reason why a martial character shouldn't have these kinds of abilities either. It depends on the ability and how powerful it is in the context of the rest of the ability set.

If 5e uses a ton of ideas from 4e with different presentation, that's just fine by me. A lot of the ideas were good; I just didn't really like how they were implemented.

Yeah, Signature spells, a bad "obfuscation" of the per-encounter deal; talk about immersion breaking and board-game/skirmish action, IMO.

I agree. Encounter Powers, were immersion breaking - and brought tons of metagaming to the table.
That said, I think that the Warlock and the Wizard bring an interesting element to make them more believable.

- The warlock needs a small incantation to his/her patron that requires a short rest. 
- The Wizard must rest a while for him to refocus the spells powers.

That could actually be interesting as RPing.
So really what is an advancement in DDN in relation to 4e is that they're tying Encounters and Dailies to reasonable in believable solutions. 
I like encounter powers and 4th edition, but I don't like how they were defined and implemented.

I'm totally against dailies for non-magical classes, and I think that supernatural classes should only have access to the casting of a single (powerful) daily (one is the minimum number of encounters, easy take into consideration for DMs, and large amount of dailies are cheat paradise, intentional cheat or not).

Encounter spells can be justified for any class based on the surprise.
In french, we have the expression "botte secrète" for which I can't find direct translation online (maybe "secret weapon" or "artful thrust"). It comes from fencing and is an unique attack invented a kept secret by the fencer to surprise the enemy and is then almost unstoppable.
Basically, this secret attack is an at-will, but it works only once per encounter.
Developping and mastering these attacks require training and experience, so the number known by a fighter would be limited.

This surprise based system (encounter) can be used for a lot of things, like to disengage, or fake attacks to move across the battlefield without drawing attacks of opportunity.

Surprise based encounter abilities work even more easily with supernatural users.

And the short rest recuperation based encounter powers from DDN are still here to handle expended ressources like a breath weapon or supernatural power fuel.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

I do want encounter powers availeble to people who like them, but in a way that they are not compulsary to people who not like them.

maybe somthing like special spells that create encounter powers

3rd level meta magic spell
target 1 1st level spell you have prepared.
the target spell now functions like a signature spell see the wizards section in the PHB for info on signature spells. 

5th level spell could make a level 2 spell function as encounter spell
7th level spell could make a level 3 spell function as encounter spell
9th level spell could make a level 4 spell function as encunter spell. 
I don't mind set durations for recoverinng spells, special abiltiies, etc. whether it is at-will, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or daily. So 4E encounter powers set the recovery time at 5 minutes. It probably boils down to the power of each effect and if there is enough design space to make them distinct when you consider at-will, versus 5 minutes, 10 mintues, or daily.
I like encounter powers in the manner they were implemented in the Book of 9 Swords, i.e. with an in-combat recharge mechanism.

Encounter spells can be justified for any class based on the surprise.
In french, we have the expression "botte secrète" for which I can't find direct translation online (maybe "secret weapon" or "artful thrust"). It comes from fencing and is an unique attack invented a kept secret by the fencer to surprise the enemy and is then almost unstoppable.
Basically, this secret attack is an at-will, but it works only once per encounter.
Developping and mastering these attacks require training and experience, so the number known by a fighter would be limited.

This surprise based system (encounter) can be used for a lot of things, like to disengage, or fake attacks to move across the battlefield without drawing attacks of opportunity.

The fact that there are real life terms for phenomena (and even real life reasons they cant generally be repeated) doesnt stop those who have been aclimatised to the fighter doing nothing interesting just doing it a lot, from baulking.

The invitation is a term in fencing that amounts to leaving a false opening to seduce your enemy in to making an attack along a particular path which you are in fact very ready for...  it is also a pretense of weakness and highly appropriate, to not work multiple times against the same enemy (come and get it is a fantasy rendering of this, fantasy in part because its really hard to deal with multiple enemies at once and quite common in fantasy).

There is an old saying called "fool me once... shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." (or something to that effect).

Surprise based encounter abilities work even more easily with supernatural users.

Can be modelled so many ways it isnt funny including treating Vancian casting the same as it was in the Jack Vance books OR having the spell being at-will but create a temporary localized restistance to itself

And the short rest recuperation based encounter powers from DDN are still here to handle expended ressources like a breath weapon or supernatural power fuel.

Or any form of localized strain.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I don't mind encounter powers in the game as long as I can easily remove them from the game without removing important archetypes.

I don't want encounter powers in my games because they invalidate my playstyle. If you want to play a dungeon crawl that is a mix of big fights and small trivial combat that tax just a little bit of the party's daily resources, then you don't want to have encounter powers. From my little 4th edition experience, encounter powers are enough to trivialize these encounters without even spending a healing surge.
Conversely not having encounter powers makes daily powers too important and reduces the effective length of the game day. (or can encourage it for them who are dependent on them)

And makes what I want to be trivial.. .too important.

It also means for the non-daily crew mono-tone ... capability, aka potentiallly boring.

I dislike Encounter powers for the vagueness and gamist definition. Labeling them "Encounter" powers pushes me away.
I much prefer treating them like a signature power where they can be recharged quickly but they're not some lesser daily power. Having them as Encounter powers but not calling them out as such.

The problem with Encounter powers for other types or classes, is that most tend to lend them best for exploratory powers. But there's no such thing as an "Encounter" in the exploratory timeframe so they pretty much become at-wills.  

There are ways though. I can imagine advanced Combat Manuver that burn out all your ED until you can spend 10 minutes resting. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Encounter powers make sense. Not every thing can be done continually and not everthing takes a day to setup/recover from.

X times per day is what really should be dropped. It rarely makes sense (perhaps for spells). Monks ki, for instance would make more sense as an encounter power then x times per day.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Encounter powers make sense. Not every thing can be done continually and not everthing takes a day to setup/recover from. X times per day is what really should be dropped. It rarely makes sense (perhaps for spells). Monks ki, for instance would make more sense as an encounter power then x times per day.

What do you mean 'makes sense'?  From a meta game perspective?
To be perfectly honest, we do need another word for encounter. However, encounter powers make a lot of sense.

First, in real life, fighting is tiring. A 3 minute round is intense. In D&D, that's 30 turns.  You can't spend the whole time throwing out attacks or else you'll be dead tired.

Second, in fiction, fighting is tiring. The hero is usually pretty strong, but he never spends all his time on the offensive. The finishing moves can't be used over and over.

Third, in games, fighting is tiring. In some games, you have a resource pool, which prevents you from continuously using your moves. In some games, you have cooldowns. In some games you have to press a lot of buttons to do your combo nd you can't always pull it off.

Conversely not having encounter powers makes daily powers too important and reduces the effective length of the game day. (or can encourage it for them who are dependent on them)

And makes what I want to be trivial.. .too important.

This is something I don't really understand.

The way I see it, "lesser" daily powers and encounter powers are interchangeable. For every encounter power you should have gotten, you get 4-5 lower level daily powers with roughly the same strength. At each encounter, you burn as many lesser dailies as you would have used encounter powers and the same number of major daily powers.

This should work for people that want 4-5 important encounters per adventuring day.

This probably also works for those that want 1-2 important encounters per day. You just anticipate the nova effect exactly like you did in 4th edition. 

It doesn't work for people that just want a nearly unlimited amount of trivial encounters per day that use so little of your daily resources (Healing Surges) that you can have 15-20 of those. I'm sure that's not your playstyle.

I see what you mean by "encouraged to use daily powers" though. It's very true that in my AD&D experience, most of my players would use a spell every round, even a lesser spell. But that's because their only other option was shooting darts... It's only natural for players to want to contribute to a fight every round. I personally pick Magic Missile over shooting 3 darts that each deal 1d4 damage, even if that means going to bed early.

But I think 4th edition solved that problem with at-will powers, not encounters powers. In a EDU (no at-will) system, once you run out of encounter powers, if your only option is to shoot darts, your players will use daily powers.

The reason I come to this conclusion is my 3rd edition experience. Once we figured out how important wands, staves and reserve feats were, our spellcasters stopped using their daillies as fillers and our adventuring days were much longer (sometimes as much as 6-7 interesting encounters).

It also means for the non-daily crew mono-tone ... capability, aka potentiallly boring.

Agreed. At-will powers are boring. It was true in 4th edition (in my opinion), 3rd edition (wand of magic missile is not that fun) and in AD&D (yay for shooting darts!).
I think we saw that AEDU was a complete failure from a verisimilitude standpoint and would absolutely not be something that should be included in 5E.  As it is, I'm not a huge fan in the direction they are taking magic, other than to limit the amount of spells a wizard can have memorized at any one time.

Now, on the other hand, AEDU is PERFECT for monsters as the DM IS running the metagame. Since the DM's job is to control and run the metagame, having monsters with an AEDU model doesn't hurt anything, rather it streamlines play.

So in short. Players NO, Monsters YES.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
They make perfect sense to anybody willing to listen to something new. The only problem with martial encounter and daily abilities is some people being unable to get past their preconceived notions of what those limiters are meant to represent. To contrast, I see many experienced gamers who have issue with them but have not met even a single new player who thought they were any more immersion-breaking than encounter or daily spells.

I fear I dont have the ability to articulate this. I am an experienced player who believes that encounter powers dont make sense for martial classes. Its not that I haven’t listened to explanations.

The problem I have isnt related to immersion. My problem is that it breaks from a simulation. I refuse to implement rules that make the game less realistic for no good reason. There is not a physical feat that cant be replicated more than once in a battle. You could even sneak up on someone twice in the same battle if they fled and hid.

Ive listened to all the arguments. My answer to these arguments concedes that certain maneuvers should suffer from diminishing returns, and could only be used in certain situations. There are theoretical Next Powers and existing 4e Warlord exploits that are sophisticated and require multiple party members. I could see why they could only be used at the start of combat. They make sense to me however they dont make sense as individual powers. These types of exploits are party powers.

Every member of a party could share in certain party powers. A power could be called, right arm of Dwarven Phalanx. Everyone in the party has a piece or two of that formation. I hope the Warlord transitions to a prestige class for almost any class but certain Monks, and Priest domains. These Warlord classes could create party powers yet any party that pays to learn party powers could have them.

That is my sick delirium. Encounters powers don't make sense unless they are CRIPS community, revolution in the party's service. ????? Party Power is the way to go for encounter stuff. 

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

I fear I dont have the ability to articulate this. I am an experienced player who believes that encounter powers dont make sense for martial classes. Its not that I haven’t listened to explanations.

No Encounter powers make sense for any classes. They are purely a metagame construct not even masquerading as something different.

It's not like the character says to himself "Wow, I am encountering a new foe, I'll now be able to use my spinning blades attack again!"

"Maybe if I run away and then run back to the battle again, it will be a new 'encounter' and I can use my spinning blades again"
hogwash

"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
I like encounter powers in the manner they were implemented in the Book of 9 Swords, i.e. with an in-combat recharge mechanism.

That I could actually get behind. Having built in recharge mechanics not just for Encounter power but also for Daily powers going a long way towards making them both a bit more believable if that matters to you.

I am an experienced player who believes that encounter powers dont make sense for martial classes.

Yes, that's what I've said. I've met many experienced gamers who take issue with it for thinking that it's bad for immersion or simulation, but I've not met a single newer player that thinks it's any worse than daily spells on a caster. "If I know how to cast a spell, then why can't I just cast it whenever I want?" they might ask. Whatever logical answers you can come up with for that pretty much work just as well for martial abilities. If you really think about it, I think you'll find that the underlying root of your objection that it's just a large departure from how you're used to seeing martial combat mechanically represented.

My problem is that it breaks from a simulation. I refuse to implement rules that make the game less realistic for no good reason. There is not a physical feat that cant be replicated more than once in a battle. You could even sneak up on someone twice in the same battle if they fled and hid.

And how do you reconcile this view with a lack of issue with spells being daily? What is at all realistic about that, especially when you compare it to most forms of magic in media and literature? It's not like it's hard to imagine a character that can cast Sleep at-will. But just as it's not difficult to imagine a caster that runs out of magical energy quickly and finds it too difficult to concentrate after, it's not difficult to imaging a martial character that has low endurance or only knows a few reliable tricks that the enemy catches onto quickly enough to make the fighting style ineffective.

Minor strains, short term fatigue and tricks that require suprise make perfect sense...

Extreme detail tracking exactly which enemy you have already played the trick on and checking which have good memories and who will be expecting it etc etc etc ... now that makes no sense. Tracking which moves a strain will inhibit ... oh I strained my left calve for that move and this move involves that same extremity so I cant do either move... now that makes no sense.

Its the same abstraction used in hit points really breaking it down in to individual details would be better but there is a limit and generalization because this is a game. 

Agreed. At-will powers are boring. It was true in 4th edition (in my opinion), 3rd edition (wand of magic missile is not that fun) and in AD&D (yay for shooting darts!).

I disagree, at-wills in 4ed were boring because of the encounter and daiily powers (and limited options for at-will).

5ed Manuevers are way better then 4ed at-wills. They give players a lot of power over their turn. Encounter powers will likely render them obsolete, this game has short combats. A 10th level fighter with 2-3 encounter powers will only ever be doing the the same thing in every combat... sounds boring. 

If everybody is just going to do the same encounter powers every turn, why not just make them manuevers and not limit flexability of the players. 

My mind is a deal-breaker.

... sounds boring.   

Battles that are only mook fighting are going to be boring anyway.. something has to change. Encounter powers give a boost to potency but they arent that extreme... they do make potency fluctuate instead of being... xxxxx 

they make it

x+1/2, x-1/2,x-1/2,x+1/2,x-1/2

In music the at-wills provide one tempo every single turn with no crescendos and no pauses.. boring. 

... sounds boring.   

Battles that are only mook fighting are going to be boring anyway.. something has to change. Encounter powers give a boost to potency but they arent that extreme... they do make potency fluctuate instead of being... xxxxx 

they make it

In music the at-wills provide one tempo every single turn with no crescendos and no pauses.. boring. 

I've personally found XD and maneuvers to already fill that function.  No fights I've participated in in Next have been boring thus far.  
 ... sounds boring.   

they make it

I've personally found XD and maneuvers to already fill that function.  

Your at-wills are changing the pitch not the tempo... it is ok... 

And as I said mooks are fun to fight for a while. 

But I think 4th edition solved that problem with at-will powers, not encounters powers. In a EDU (no at-will) system, once you run out of encounter powers, if your only option is to shoot darts, your players will use daily powers.

Anything which reduces the amount of suckage when daily resources are depleted... has an impact. And at-wills do by allowing your characters style to persist... but not in terms of potency.

Well at-wills in 4e and now 5e are more interesting than the dart throwing was... 

I also feel the action points contributed significantly to creating the crescendo...  effect.

Yes, that's what I've said. I've met many experienced gamers who take issue with it for thinking that it's bad for immersion or simulation, but I've not met a single newer player that thinks it's any worse than daily spells on a caster. "If I know how to cast a spell, then why can't I just cast it whenever I want?" they might ask. Whatever logical answers you can come up with for that pretty much work just as well for martial abilities. If you really think about it, I think you'll find that the underlying root of your objection that it's just a large departure from how you're used to seeing martial combat mechanically represented.

I have finished enough of a pure Atwill magic tradition to set a 1st level character. I can answer that question to a new player. I've also doctored on a pure vancian class. Explaining vancian magic to new players is easy though I agree that if you give a newb a vancian mage and a fighter with encounter powers they are more likely to question vancian magic.  

And how do you reconcile this view with a lack of issue with spells being daily? What is at all realistic about that, especially when you compare it to most forms of magic in media and literature? It's not like it's hard to imagine a character that can cast Sleep at-will. But just as it's not difficult to imagine a caster that runs out of magical energy quickly and finds it too difficult to concentrate after, it's not difficult to imaging a martial character that has low endurance or only knows a few reliable tricks that the enemy catches onto quickly enough to make the fighting style ineffective.

I dont need to reconcile it. I see no reason to entertain the workings of magic while talking about martial maneuvers. I do offer a pure atwill class and a pure vancian class. I can make a much better case to the players for those traditions than the current please-everyone hodgepodge. 

I simply dont buy this idea that something can only be used once a fight to the extent that it would be more efficient to write it in the rules as such. The only exceptions are powers for the entire party and even those might be better as utility powers. The further removed a maneuver is from one single action the more mechanical the game becomes. An example is giving a basketball player in a video game a dunk maneuver. Once a game they can dunk on anyone. Poor game design. Better to give them superior ball handling, leaping, and the ability to inspire with dunks. Let them put the package together themselves as natural as possible. Most encounter powers bring a complex feat from start to finish in the same way a dunk feat would. While on the rant- Its comes off as lazy game design. Its time consuming to define a maneuver that has multiple factors. Its easy to give out something with uncanny power and usage limits."        

Its time consuming to define a maneuver that has multiple factors. Its easy to give out something with uncanny power and usage limits."        

The problem has often been that attempting to track such multiple factors often conspire to induce
"oh well I guess I will just hit it on the toe like everybody else" 

Sign In to post comments