Gatecrash Discussion

411 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I normally wouldn't have made a thread like this before spoilers start (or just let someone else make it) but I just got a eyefull of some supposed spoilers on MTGS, and they look rather legit.
So, I figured it was about time to start up a thread.

Here's a blue Mythic from the spoiler thread, assuming this thread doesn't get deleted/me banned:

(at)MrEnglish22

Why would that card possibly be good? Well, unless there is a 'you win' card with a miracle cost.
 There were other cards spoiled (Borborygmos, Aurelia, the new PW [Gruul], and a Dragon fatty) but I didn't want to throw all of them up here. Blue one was the only one that tickled me, mostly because of the flavour text.
I didn't particularly say it was good, but it makes Omniscience a LOT of fun. And will probably be banned in EDH.

(at)MrEnglish22

I don't like the blue card. But hey it combos right there with Borbrogymos the other spoiled GR creature. Just discard all the lands you had left in the deck and you probably win, seismic assault style.

Sturmgeist could also be nice. Of course given you don't have omniscience in play.

Counterlash (on your own spells too)  and Spelltwine could have a roll.
Selective Memory + Borborygmos = all cards you draw are Lightning Bolts 

the new PW is interesting. 

(at)MrEnglish22

5 card standard combos for the win!

RUG

Borborygmos
Zealous Conscripts
Deadeye Navigator
Gilded Lotus
Enter the Infinite

Get infinite mana, draw all the cards, melt some faces!

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
The new PW is the only one of those I am remotely interested in. Still not sure if it will be any good though.

3cmc is nice, and starting with 4 loyalty isn't terrible either.

His +1 could be pretty sweet in a deck running heavy on the creatures, drawing into more threats and just generally providing some CA goodness. I am somewhat concerned about the fact it does nothing to really protect itself though. There is always the chance of hitting a non-creature and it doing nothing as well.

The -2 seems mediocre, repeatable removal is usually pretty good, but this guy makes you jump through a few hoops to get it (having a creature of your own that can at least trade with your opponents). Could be good if we see some decent stuff with Deathtouch show up.

His ultimate is pretty awesome I must admit, but you know, its an ultimate, so that is expected.

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
o.O Bor is probably going to be a deck onto itself that can easily break Thragtusk duals.  His activated ability draws too many parallels with Valakut not to get my attention.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
o.O Bor is probably going to be a deck onto itself that can easily break Thragtusk duals duels.  His activated ability draws too many parallels with Valakut not to get my attention.

(at)MrEnglish22

Borborygmos is awesome. This takes reanimator to the next level as if it needed more gas. Reanimator already hits a ton of lands. Mulch becomes a giant burn spell with a Borbor in play. plus he's a huge body that gets you more lands. I'm super ****ing excited for this card. Reanimator ramp deck will be awesome. 
Link? I'd like to look over these cards.
Link? I'd like to look over these cards.

I'll put them in a spoiler so you can take a look in this thread.

Holy amazeballs! The angel and Borbor!!!
Aurelia is lacklust as a finisher. Borborygmos is a good finisher for rites. I approve greatly. 
Domri just screams for a Jund walkers deck. Fight Bear, Domri, Garruk Relentless, Vraska, liliana, and a bunch of supporting creatures to waiting for an ultimate trigger? Seems good to me.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Domri just screams for a Jund walkers deck. Fight Bear, Domri, Garruk Relentless, Vraska, liliana, and a bunch of supporting creatures to waiting for an ultimate trigger? Seems good to me.

yeah and tibalt!

yeah and tibalt!

Yeah! Tibbers and Domri, card advantage engine! Draw ALL the cards!

Sort of disappointed in the Angel, but then again, they have given us a glut of good Angels lately, so I might be a bit biased. As a finisher it seems a bit lackluster compared to most of what else is available.

I still don't like the PW. Maybe in some Gruul stompy thing with a bunch of stuff like Stangleroot Geist and Thragtusk that just doesn't care about losing its stuff, but even then, I don't see it making any waves. Either that or some Deathtouch abomination.

The blue card makes me want to screw around with it and Epic Experiment, but thats just the Johnny in me talking.

Borborygmos will see play in Rites, without a doubt. Seismic Assault stapled to a big body with trample that also fetches you lands if it connects is pretty awesome. Not sure if he will fit in anywhere else but Rites, what with the amount of good Midrange creatures in the format, but it could be possible.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
5 card standard combos for the win!

RUG

Borborygmos
Zealous Conscripts
Deadeye Navigator
Gilded Lotus
Enter the Infinite

Get infinite mana, draw all the cards, melt some faces!

I think you can be satisfied with controlling everything on the battlefield.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Nope. Stealing everything isn't enough. I want all the cards! If I could think of a way in standard to draw my opponents deck with that set up I'd have added that! :D

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
What if used labratory maniac as a combo with the blue card???
What if the blue card could be cast?
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
What if the blue card could be cast?

It can, and I'm sure there will be more enabling in GTC and DRM

Enter the Infinite will be an Increasing Ambition target in Omniscience control.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Enter the Infinite will be an Increasing Ambition target in Omniscience control.

None of them are a wincon. What will that be in such deck? Just curious
Nope. Stealing everything isn't enough. I want all the cards! If I could think of a way in standard to draw my opponents deck with that set up I'd have added that! :D

You can already draw your whole deck with Elvish Visionary, you don't need the new blue card. Make 10 quadrillion mana of every color, blink conscripts to take all their guys, blink visionary to draw your whole deck, play everything in your deck, blink conscripts to give everything haste, blink conscripts to continually untap all your spell lands, wolf-run every creature for a million, put a million counters on all your guys with gavony township, mill their whole deck with drownyard, etc etc.

Go look up current Omniscience decks, then go look up the new Borborygmos. Not hard to get 7 lands off Enter the Infinite.

Also, if that deck takes off, it would have to be called Enter-Omni, because the name is cool

(at)MrEnglish22

Enter the Omniscience. 
Enter the Omniscience. 

Thats where I started at, but its a bit long, and reminds me too much of "Enter the Dragon"

(at)MrEnglish22

Enter the Dragon was awesome though. XD
Enter the Omniscience. 

Thats where I started at, but its a bit long, and reminds me too much of "Enter the Dragon"

I don't see how either or those things are a problem. 

Also, Infinite Science would be a good name.  
The Omni-Blade! Im commander shepard and this is my favorite deck on the citadel.
The Omni-Blade! Im commander shepard and this is my favorite deck on the citadel.

Okay, this one made me laugh.

(at)MrEnglish22

Yeah, 8/10 would recommend to a friend 

After I drew my deck, I'd play Temporal Mastery.  I'd untap, draw, and end my turn.  I'd pass and discard.  On their upkeep, I'd play Psychic Spiral with heavy counter backup.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
So, bamp.

Ability reveals from WotC for x-mas:
Evolve- Simic, Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.
Battalion- Boros, seems to be a trigger for when the creature + 2 others attack.
Bloodrush - Gruul, pay a cost and discard the card to get an effect. Possibly only attacking creatures for all of them. Similar to Channel from Kamigawa block.

Evolve seems like its a limited fodder ability, will be cute to draft it with Scavenge when Dragon's Maze releases (Fathommage seems nice for Cube though at first glance). Firemane Avenger is pretty nice- I like my 3/3 fliers to have Lightning Helix on a stick. Bloodrush has me excited for Ghoultree and Splinterfright again. 

(at)MrEnglish22

And now Extort - Orzhov.  Whenever you cast a spell you may pay :wb:, if you do each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.

Seems like pretty boring mechanics from what I've seen.  Bloodrush is the only one I'm liking so far.
And now Extort - Orzhov.  Whenever you cast a spell you may pay :wb:, if you do each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.

Seems like pretty boring mechanics from what I've seen.  Bloodrush is the only one I'm liking so far.

At first I thought Extort dealt damage based on how you paid to cast the spell, then I realized it was just another 1 mana to drain life 1. Which is kinda crap outside of limited. It'll be okay if there's a 1-drop AND a 2-drop that are decent bodies with the ability, or an Extort X (or any Extort beyond 1 on low CMC cards) but I don't think that Extort is more than a 1 for 1 thing from the way I read it.

(at)MrEnglish22

Dimir has cipher, which is basically haunt for instants/sorceries, only you can only haunt your guys, and you recast the spell when you hit your opponents, not when the creature dies.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Dimir has cipher, which is basically haunt for instants/sorceries, only you can only haunt your guys, and you recast the spell when you hit your opponents, not when the creature dies.

Cipher has some serious potential to be really, REALLY good. The real question is how many of the Instants/Sorceries with Cipher on them are going to actually be worth playing for their effects. As was mentioned by someone in the ICD thread for the one Cipher card we have spoiled, its likely that most of the Cipher cards will be ones with effects that cant be abused when cast multiple times over and over again. I think the example he used was "look at your opponents hand" which is probably something that is going to exist (both because it is something that isn't easily abusable when cast repeatedly, and also because its perfectly spot on for Dimir's flavor).

Like I said there, just waiting for a card with "Instants and Sorceries you control have Cipher" to come along and break the game.
So, I just realized (and by realized, I mean someone tonight actually told me this) that Extort triggered every time you cast a spell. This immediately became 100% better in my eyes. Especially combined with Cipher. GTC draft (unrelated, shoot me) I think that Esper is going to be a serious threat.

Also, "LOLZ U GUIZE U CAN PUT A PSYPHUR CARD ON DAT INVISIBLE STALKUR THANG AND CAST IT EVERY TURN!!!!"

Had to get the super obvious out of the way.

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments