iRemedy's First Day on MTGO [Journal]

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Introduction
Well, firstly, I am new to MTG in general. When I was younger (I am now 23) I got a few cards (a starter deck and a few boosters) but never had anyone to play with or anywhere to go to play. Then whenever the downloadable digital tutorial came out, I downloaded that and played it a couple times and dug up my cards with plans to find a hobby shop to play at but never did. That's all the experience I had until two weeks ago when Duels 2013 and the expansion went on sale on Steam and immediately picked them up. I logged in over 50 hours in about a week. Finished nearly everything in the game. Then I remembered there was an online game and wondered if it were still popular since it's pretty old by now. Saw that it was still around and did some searching around the internet and found a lot of community sites/article sites and then found some twitch channels and such. Downloaded the client to play the trial version but didnt like any of those decks really, especially since they were the same that I was forced to play in Duels 2013 for the most part. Bought an account today after a few days of reading a lot of articles and watching a good number of videos. Now, at 2:18AM I decided to write this up since I enjoyed reading similar posts that I found yesterday.

TL;DR - I had 0 MTG experience until two weeks ago. Bought an MTGO account today.

Original Plan
Basically from all the articles I read I came to the conclusion that I should:
 - Sell the booster pack that comes with the account to a bot for tix
 - Track down the freebots and be very picky with my selections
 - Buy bulk commons while continuing to be picky

I also planned to play mostly Pauper. From the videos I watched it was simply more interesting to me. And the fact that its so much cheaper is also a plus

What Actually Happened 
 - I wasted about ten minutes trying to find where my tickets were after openeing my new account package because I had put one of the filters on and the tab where tickets go was not visible
 - I searched through bots for a decent price for my booster. I had read in an artcile that the filter for the classifieds could be hard to use and frustrating and I quickly found out what the writer meant. However I found one and decided to sell the booster for 3.13 tix, though I doubt I'll ever get to use that .13 in any way.
 - I typed free into the classifieds filter and found two free bots. All pickiness went out the window and I would immediately add 4 copies of any interesting cards. I managed to make myself mostly get black and green like I originally wanted, but I ended up grabbing a handful of other colors as well. 
 - Found a few bulksale bots. Again, I was far less picky than I anticipated.

At this point I was over the whole shopping part. I was never much of a shopper. I decided to throw some random black/green cards together and attempt a game in the New player room. Illegal cards. Lots of them. Apparently a large majority of my free and bulk cards are not elligible for standard or standard pauper. I go back into the deck editor and start over with the filter set to "Standard". I have a lot less options and I feel like I wasted my first couple tix and my free picks. I throw some random phatties and black spells together and go back to the New Player area. I get into a game and lose very very quickly. I did 0 damage and lost in about 6 or 7 turns. I highly doubt he was a New Player, and he definitely had a lot more money invested into his deck than I did. I went back to one of the bulk bots who I had like .37 credit left on and grabbed a few more cards while being a bit more picky than before; I rebuilt my deck which I named something like "Complete crap v2". I don't have the deck list for my decks except my newest ones, I deleted them after making new ones (I don't like clutter).

I played about three more games with this deck and lost all three. I went to a new bot, a non bulk sale bot. I planned to buy commons again but newer than the bulk sale bots could offer. I simply grabbed a couple Golgari Guildgates and maybe 3 other cards. I was told I would have .71 credit left over and I planned to add the guildgates to my deck and see how that helped; however when I went to add them I remembered another card I wanted to grab that I saw the night before in an article: Grisly Salvage. I load up the same bot I was just at (I saved each bot I spent tix on to my friends list). When it loads up in the chat I see right away that it says I have 0 credit. I canceled the trade assuming there was an error whlie it loaded up. After restarting the trade, it still said I have 0 credit. I added a couple cards to my cart to see if it would let me take them and update my credit but it didn't work. I don't know if this was a freak accident or if this bot screws everyone. So I basically lost one of my precious beginning tix.

I've never been so mad over 71 cents in my life. After a short break I got back to it and got some more cards, I forget where. Picked up some poison cards like Ichorclaw Myr and a few others but I didn't have enough tix/credit left over to get enough to make a poison deck. Then I realized that I had just made the same mistake I made before; most of the cards I have purchased are not usable in the New Player area. So I said screw that place and went into the just for fun area and made a Pauper game with my half poison deck half random green creatures and the wrong sorcery/enchantments. I BARELY lose. I lost because of my own mistake. It's hard to explain the situation without another long paragraph but basically I attacked with two normal creatures after getting up to 8 poison counters on my opponent.  Doing physical damage to my opponent was completely useless, and it left me open for his two creatures, which I should have been able to block with said creatures, to finish me off. Oh well, you live and you learn and it was my first game with the deck that I have already deleted.

Then I spent a few hours talking with my girlfriend and doing other various tasks I put off today and when I got back I built my current deck that I can't wait to test out but am too sleepy to do right now which is why I'm typing these many many words.

Graveyard Pauper v1
4x Golgari Guildgate
4x Forest
3x Evolving Wilds
12x Swamp

4x Carrion Feeder 
4x Guul Draz Vampire
4x Perilous Myr
4x Blood Seeker
3x Undertaker
2x Stinkweed Imp

1x Bonesaw (placeholder)
2x Disentomb
3x Grisly Salvage
4x Dead Reckoning
2x Gnaw to the Bone
2x Necromancer's Magemark

Basically all creatures except the Myr, Imp, and Feeder are placeholders, although I really like Guul Draz Vampire for some reason... I'm going to test out the spells and look for better replacements as well as creatures with better effects to replay, like Myr's. Basically there's no point in sac'ing any of the creatures, then bringing them back, except Myr.

OK, I'm done typing now. May reply with a day two post tomorrow, we'll see. If anyone actually reads this let me know = ) Also, sorry for the errors, I'm pretty sleepy right now. 

Oh, and if you have suggestions for the replacement cards I need for that deck, let me know!

Use the autocard function so we can see the cards you mention. To autocard type: .

Welcome aboard the magic train. 
Sorry you got burned by a bot.  The rule of thumb most of us use for credit is "don't leave enough credit on a bot that you'd be upset that it was gone".  It could have been scammy or a legitimate mistake.  Try this, though.  Right click on the bot and view it's profile/info. Manytimes, sellers list contact information there, so you could email the seller and explain the situation and you may get your credit back.  Alternatively, you could just PM the bot.  I think that some bots have a special process that'll screenshot non-trade PMs for the owner to review (at least, I think I knew of a bot like that 5 years ago...).

So, now let's talk about streamlining that deck of yours.
The way I see it, the deck is basically built around Grisly Salvage, Carrion Feeder, and Perilous Myr right? 
So, you want to be able to sac and return perilous myr as well as be able to fill up your graveyard for shenanigans.

So, let's look at the cards currently in the deck and see how they fare in supporting that kind of objective. 

Core of deck:
4x Perilous Myr
4x Carrion Feeder
3-4x Grisly Salvage
2x Stinkweed Imp (to fill graveyard)

Rest of cards:
Guul Daz Vampire.  No real synergy with the rest of the deck, but I also personally like this card.  It could stay or go.
Blood Seeker. Would be amazing if it triggered off your creatures dying/coming into play such as Blood Artist.  It doesn't really fit the deck, but it could be good, especially against a card such as Empty the Warrens.  It might need to go.
Undertaker.  If you are filling your graveyard, this is nice because it gives you card selection, letting you continue to get back the best creature for the current situation. However, it is slow.  This could go either way.
Bonesaw. Yeah, this should probably go
Disentomb.  Usually I say this card should never be in a deck.  It's usually better to run another good creature over this, cause it'll save you mana and you can always cast the creature, but you can't always play disentomb.  However, your deck is graveyard based, so it has alot more synergy than normal.  With that being said, this still needs to go.  Disentomb is terrible, there are lots of cards that do the same type of thing but are better.
Dead Reckoning.  Your only removal spell, it also goes along with your graveyard theme and returns creatures.  Maybe should stay.
Gnaw to the Bone.  I think this could be good in your deck.  Lifegain usually is very bad.  However, your deck can 'abuse' this card.  Additionally, getting it in the graveyard with dredge or grisly salvage will give you card advantage because you can use it from the graveyard.  Even if it is just lifegain, if you aren't actually using a card in your hand to gain the life it can be great.  Looking at the other black and green flashback commons (there aren't many...), this is probably the best choice.
Necromancer's Magemark.  Could work.  Auras are generally bad because they can be card disadvantage.  It only takes a single Murder to take out both a creature and the aura.  Magemark is a bit different in this regard because the creature will live UNLESS the Murder is played in response to you playing the magemark, then...the magemark and the creature go to the graveyard.  So, probably not worth it?

So, that was a good deal of words....let's keep going :D

So, some cards that I just looked for in green and black (pauper) that might be good in the deck:

Sakura-Tribe Elder
Altar's Reap
Ghastly Demise
Unearth
Mulch
Ravenous Rats
Driver of the Dead
Tendrils of Despair
Pit Keeper
Harvest Wurm
Bloodthrone Vampire
Nantuko Husk
Kjeldoran Dead
Bone Splinters
Ghoulcaller's Chant
Cadaver Imp
Macabre Waltz
Cry of Contrition
Dregscape Zombie
Viscera Dragger
Frightcrawler
Raven's Crime
Sluiceway Scorpion
Sylvok Lifestaff

So, these are mostly self explainitory.  They all are good at returning creatures from the graveyard, being in the graveyard, sacrificing creatures, and general graveyard tricks.  So, depending on what suits your fancy, there are lots of different directions you can take.  I'll give one possibility below.

4x Golgari Guildgate
3x Evolving Wilds
2x Forest
13x Swamp

4x Perilous Myr
4x Carrion Feeder
3x Stinkweed Imp
4x Ravenous Rats
3x Pit Keeper
4x Dregscape Zombie

4x Grisly Salvage
4x Altar's Reap
3x Unearth
2x Gnaw to the Bone
3x Bone Splinters

That's just a rough draft of one idea.  It might take some optimizing to get everything right.  You need a critical mass of creatures, but some of the spells are so good, it's hard to get the right balance.  You probably just need to play a deck like this to find out if you need more creatures or if you can cut a few for a card like Mulch (which I want to add) or more creature removal (which this deck is very light on).

Hope that helps, feel free to aks more questions...I know this was a pretty long post.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
@MTGKaioshin Thank you so much for that. I wasn't expecting such a detailed response.

I remember looking at Mulch and deciding to just stick with Grisly Salvage and a couple other cards I have, like I'm pretty sure I have at least two copies of Unearth[c] , [c]Ghoulcaller's Chant , and Bloodthrone Vampire. I wanted to use Ravenous Rats but I only have the one copy that came with the new account package and I didn't see him at the bulksale bot I used.

Writing down your suggestions to see if I can grab a few. Might buy a couple tix. Thanks again = )

I'll probably do a day two post 
Yeah, I forgot to mention.  Keep up this thread.  I find them very entertaining as well as being great tools for future new players.  This step by step perspective where they can learn from your hardships is very helpful.  When/if this thread gets more developed, I'll link to it in the FAQ along with the other 4-6 threads of this type that are already there.

And remember to have fun!

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

Yeah, I read your FAQ the night before I got my account and that's how I read the similar posts haha

Day Two 
I got on and decided to play the deck I built a couple times without making any changes. Figured that would be the best way to see what I needed. The first game I should have mulligan and ended up not drawing any of the cards I needed. I lost quickly while doing only a little bit of damage. Second game went a lot better. I got an early Carrion Feeder and then thanks to a Grisly Salvage I was able to get a Perilous Myr soon after. I did early damage, saved my Carrion Feeder from spells by sac'ing and few other plays. But then he had a Flame Slash while my Feeder was at 4/4 and I had nothing to sacrifice. From there my opponent played Glimmerpost several times while having another locust land, I forget the name. He was quickly back up to 20, then even higher, health. I drew a few lands in a row and had nothing to play so I conceded. Checked my draws, a couple more lands and a couple spells that wouldn't have done me any good. So from game two I learned I need more milling. Perhaps Mulch.

I replaced 2x Disentomb and 2x Gnaw to the Bone with my 4x Mulch that I already owned.

In my third game I played an opponent with a lot of discard abilities which wasn't bad for me if I discarded smartly but I quickly ran out of cards in my hand. I got 1 Grisly Salvage and 1 Mulch. I had two Perilous Myr which both got taken away with Journey to Nowhere. Only other useful creature I got was Undertaker who I would use to discard my draw (usually a land) and try to bring back a creature, but I had no creatures after both Myrs got taken so I conceded.

I decided to buy two more tix and add some of the cards suggested by MTGKaioshin (thanks again). Made a wishlist and started shopping

Picked up 3x Ravenous Rats (already had 1 copy)
4x Pit Keeper
4x Bone Splinter
and my 4th copy of Grisly Salvage
at one bot.

I still had to find 4x Altar's Reap
and 4x Unearth then I would rebuild my deck for more testing

At a second bot (which used the same credit line as the previous bot) I found my 4x Altar's Reap.

When I finally find Unearth, the bot wanted 6.4 tix for 4x. F that. I decide to check around a bit more. After continuing my search I see why it was 6.4 tix. I decided to use an alternative or placeholder.

I go back and pick up 4x Viscera Dragger. Its cycling then Unearth looked really appealing to me. Oh, and I was able to get it with the credit on the same bots.

Graveyard Pauper v2
4x Golgari Guildgate
12x Swamp
4x Forest
3x Evolving Wilds

4x Viscera Dragger
3x Stinkweed Imp
3x Ravenous Rats
3x Pit Keeper
4x Perilous Myr
4x Carrion Feeder

3x Bone Splinters
3x Altar's Reap
2x Ghoulcaller's Chant
4x Mulch
4x Grisly Salvage

I don't feel like I have the power to win games but I decide to test it out.

First game was really close. I was at 10 health while I got my opponent down to 4 (Viscura Dragger is an MVP card for sure). However with a few control spells I went undefended for two turns and lost.

I take out 1x Bone Splinters and 1x Mulch to add 2x Duress to see if that's enough to help with some of these control spells I keep facing.

Game two - VICTORY!!!!!!! I used this combo effectively - cycle my MVP card (Viscera Dragger), use its Unearth, attack with it, then before it is exiled sac it with Carrion Feeder. Duress came in handy as I was able to get rid of his spell that he used another copy of to get rid of my first Feeder. I still feel like I need a late game card or two, and maybe a stronger solution than Duress.
Altar's Reap and Pit Keeper both got heavy use in game two as well. Thanks again Kaioshin!

Looked through my cards, couldn't make any decisions of what to change. Saw a few cards that could be good in a sideboard but i'm not ready to get into all that jazz just yet.

I pick up 4x Dregscape Zombie to have more options.

Next game I mulligan down to 4 cards. I would have been better off not doing a mulligan but I could have gotten far better hands. However, I did not. I face a poison deck. I only get to three counters but draw 4 lands in a row and concede.

Next game I didn't mulligan even though I thought I should, not wanting the previous game to happen again. However now I get mana screwed. Against a Goblin deck. I lose on round 4 with 1 land card in play, none in hand. I use draw card feature to see that I wouldn't have gotten a land for another 4 turns.

Next game was close and back and forth, but again I lost to a few control spells. Mixed with the wrong cards getting put into my graveyard.

In my final game I got completely destroyed. Everything I tried was countered.

I'm not sure how I feel about this deck now. The one win felt good, but its concept is either beyond my skill level or it's easily countered/has too many weakness'. It also seems 90% of other pauper players run tons of control spells no matter what color(s) they play.

I plan on playing a few more games later and I still have 1 tix left, maybe I can figure something out. I'll edit this if anything interesting happens. 

By 'control cards', do you mean counterspells?
There is a bit of a problem in pauper.  See, counterspells are pretty much always printed at common, so there are lots of them in pauper.  Then, you have the fact that pauper is a classic based format, so there is this cardpool that is almost 15 years in the making.  This means that stuff like Counterspell, Repulse, etc are all legal, even though they would literally never get printed nowadays because they are just too strong.  This isn't so bad in Classic (not pauper) because there are powerful rares that are even more crazy, plus the cardpool is bigger.  However, having these above average spells combined with all the other cards being pretty weak (because they are commons, afterall), means that spell heavy control decks have traditionally done well.  They can be difficult to beat.  Sometimes it just comes down to your skill level and how you choose to play your cards.  Othertimes it comes down to the capabilities of your deck and if it has the tools to beat those types of decks.

I agree that the type of deck you're going for currently doesn't have any nice big finisher or anything.  It would have to grind out small advantages.  It's also likely better against other creature decks, being able to kill things with perilious myr while gaining an advantage with graveyard recursion.

As for beating control decks.  I think things that naturally give you card advantage, such as flashback and unearth are good.  Counterspell looks kinda silly when played against a Dregscape Zombie that will just be able to be unearthed (which is uncounterable) and then used to some advantage, such as with the carrion feeder.

Discard certainly is one of black's valuable tools.  Duress is a star.  I neglected suggesting it because I was focused on the theme and the synergy...which can be good, but it can also be a trap.  Building with synergy in mind is good, but it's also important for the cards to be good on their own, otherwise a timely disruption in whatever you're trying to do will hurt your strategy significantly.  So, themes are nice because they give you a direction, but they can sometimes send you slightly down the wrong path.

Ah, I just realized I didn't put Bonesplitter in my list of suggestions.  I actually put it in the draft decklist, but then I cut it for more creatures (I was worried about having a critical mass of creatures to fill the graveyard with).  I think that is a nice pairing with your unearth creatures.  Players can't counter the unearth, and they don't want to waste a removal spell/blocking creature on it, so the bonesplitter (which is cheap enough to be played before counterspells and cheap to equip) is great at getting in some extra damage.

I failed to consider that Unearth would be costly.  It does make sense though, it is a very good common and it is from a set that was very poorly opened, so there is a very low supply of Urza's Destiny on MTGO.

Not to try and distract you from your current deck, but the low amount of green in your deck means you might have better luck switching to another color....  Blue both has more unearth creatures and ways to get your own cards into your graveyard.  Innistrad block made several self-mill cards, there are probably more in older sets, but I didn't look.
Thought Scour
Screeching Skaab
Armored Skaab
Forbidden Alchemy

Unearth
Brackwater Elemental
Etherium Abomination
Kathari Screecher

Flashback
Deep Analysis

Other
Careful Study (Faithless Looting in red)
Stitched Drake
Makeshift Mauler

One other thing, proper mulliganing is one of the most skill testing parts of the game.  It's going to take some time to learn when you should keep and when to go down to 6 or even 5 cards.  Knowing your deck helps as well, at this stage, when you are constantly changing it, you aren't really playing enough to get a good sample size to know "if I keep a one land hand with X and Y...can I win".  Playing enough starts to let you judge that type of thing quickly from experience.

Yeah, counterspells and then cards that exile my creatures like Journey to Nowhere and such. It hurts when I get my Carrion Feeder to 4/4 then its Journey'd.

Ohhhh! Bonesplitter. When I got Bonesaw I was thinking it was that card. Just went and got 4 copies, I like that idea you said on how to use it.

I'll think about that. I cut myself off from getting more tix until at least next tuesday haha. I just cracked the second tix I bought today to get the Bonesplitters, doubt I'd be able to get enough of those blue cards to make it worth it, but I'll check them out. I really liked Thought Scour on Duels 2013 in Jace's Dream Puppets deck.

I want to get back into it but not as much as I want to watch the rest of UFC 154 = )

Thanks again for all your advice, you've been a huge help. Obviously, since before your suggestions I had basically nothing worth while in my deck haha 

Okay, after I typed that part up I decided not to hit submit; I don't want to flood this thread when I plan on making a second entry. 

Day Two Continued
Thanks to MTGKaioshin's continued help and advice I have made another revision to my deck.

Graveyard Pauper v3
Same lands

3x Bonesplitter

4x Carrion Feeder
2x Viscera Seer
4x Perilous Myr
4x Dregscape Zombie
2x Stinkweed Imp
4x Viscera Dragger 

3x Grim Discovery
2x Mulch
2x Altar's Reap
3x Grisly Salvage 
4x Duress

I think I still have the same problems as before, but I should have plenty of milling my own deck for now as well as reviving creatures. Hopefully I can get lucky with Duress and catch those pesky Journey to Nowhere before they can be used. Also, I'm being hard headed and sticking with Carrion Feeder and Perilous Myr combo. I got rid of Ravenous Rats because I didn't feel like it was a strong enough 2 drop compared with Dregscape Zombie.

Off to do some test games before I'm too sleepy!

First game was very close and back and forth. And by that I mean I lost while he had 1 health. If you play Blue paulper with faeries and Serrated Arrows I dislike your face intensely. Once again lost to Counter Spell and other control spells (think that's the right term). Every time I got a Feeder out he'd kill it instantly with Serrated Arrows and when I tried to bring out creatures near the end he used Counter Spells over and over. But anyways, I feel like I have a deck I can practice now. Still need small tweaks obviously but nothing as drastic as the last few remakes.

Game two was close again. Faced a Delver deck for the first time. Blue is an annoying color. Both games I failed to get my Viscera Dragger in hand or graveyard. Very unfortunate since he's my heaviest hitter. Dregscape Zombie is too easy to kill with only 1 toughness. They might now want to use a spell on it but when I add Bonesplitter to it to do the damage I need they decide to use it, which isn't a big deal with they have like 30 cards that all stop me from doing what I want haha.

Game three I disconnect on turn two and couldn't reconnect for some reason.

Game four I played against a decent Goblin deck. I made a couple mistakes while watching TV (the biggest one being that I forgot to sac a creature after having it chump block instead using my Feeder. For some reason my brain was like "You should replace Carrion Feeder with Bloodflow Connoisseur" but I quickly snuffed out that lapse in judgement since it's just a prettier and more expensive version.

Well, going to call it an end for day two. Sorry for any mistakes in this post, it's late again (almost 2:30am). I'll post again tomorrow = ) 

EDIT: Checked out the decks from the Pauper tournaments yesterday here. Kind of disappointing to see only three types of decks. If there are any differences it's usually 1-2 cards different. Are all game modes this way or does the Meta change often? I doubt Meta changes often at Pauper. Maybe I should go to Standard Pauper even though I'd limit myself quite a bit? Hmmmm. Oh, I left it out of my Day One post but, while I'm new to MTG, I've been in competitive gaming since I was 14 in WC3, SC2, LoL, few other games, etc etc. I'm not going to jump into tournaments right away, that'd be a waste of tix, but it won't be long before I want to get competitive.

EDIT2: What are your thoughts about working discard cards in like Mind Rot and Cry of Contrition? I think it might delude the theme a bit but might be worth it? 

EDIT3: Realized Cry of Contrition was one of your original suggestions. Would you still recommend it after my recent changes? 

EDIT4 (lol): Raven's Crime instead? Just realized how good the retrace would be combined with Mulch and Grisly Salvage
I don't think the meta changes too drastically, the cardpool is gigantic afterall.  New things will obviously pop up from time to time. The infect deck didn't exist until SoM was printed a couple of years ago.

Discard is a decent way of fighting control.  You will see that the successful black/blue deck in that tourny you posted uses a good bit of discard.  Those blue decks are all about card advantage so you can counter that with the discard. 

There are advantages and dis advantages to cry of contrition, tendrils of despair, and raven's crime.

Cry can be played with no creatures, but is best with a sacrifice and a sac outlet. Also, the haunt trigger is uncounterable
tendrils absolutely needs a creature, but only one, so its good if your missing the sac outlet
raven's crime will cost more mana and needs lands in hand.

I would imagine cry of contrition (if used) would play into the sacrificial theme and would need to be a 4 of to have a good impact.

However, Raven's Crime could have an impact even as a 1-of.  It's actually best for you to just mill it away.  Dream scenario against control would be to play a mulch (which I assume they would think is harmless), get 3 lands and raven's crime in the graveyard.  That' rip them to shreds   (theoretically)

Day Three
Noteable pickups thanks to Kaioshin (this guy seriously deserves some sort of award for how much he helps new players):
4x Arrest
4x Careful Study
4x Cloudpost
4x Contaminated Bond (sounds good to me)
2x Ghastly Demise
4x Journey of Discovery
4x Mana Leak
4x Pacifism
and tons of other commons. Didn't really get anything to work into the deck I'm working on now unless I switch to Black/Blue instead of Black/Green which I haven't decided on.

I decided to play without making any changes and try to get some experience with my deck. The first game went really well. I kept pressure on my opponent all game, constantly threatened him with my Perilous Myrs and Unearth creatures. Had a fast Carrion Feeder and by sac'ing my Unearth creatures before they exile as well as sac'ing my Myr's for their ability my Feeder got to 12/12 before he conceded. I was on the edge of my seat expecting some sort of exile card or something but it never came and he had to sac all his creatures to defend until I got Duress a couple times and kept getting rid of his good spells forcing him to concede.

Game two was very close. I got him down to 8 health quickly but he got out a bunch of 0/4 defenders and 2 5/5 fatties. I managed to kill most and I got another huge Carrion Feeder again, 13/11 (with Bonesplitter equipped) then he got put back in my hand like I was fearing. Stabalized again and managed to kill more but didn't have enough to defend. Fun game, though.

Game three was annoying. It was like a mono-green version of Goblins. Thought it was dumb and weak but I lost so can't say much about it I guess. Just flooded me with 1-2 drop creatures. Was 7 to 8 health with me on 7 but I had no defenses after my last turn.

Game four. Another close annoying game; another loss.

Game five was complete destruction, and for once I caused the destruction. When my opponent conceded I was up 18 to 5 health. Viscera Dragger became Mr. MVP once again coupled with Bonesplitter. Even bigger MVP, though, was Perilous Myr with a Bonesplitter. You either take 3 to the face when he attacks, or block him, probably lose a creature unless its a fatty, then take 2 to the face anyways. I think I'm going to get rid of Carrion Feeder if I can find something good to replace him with. He's fun but kind of too gimicky. Perilous Myr is staying though.

Going to post this now, play a few more games, then maybe make some edits on my deck. If I do I'll edit this post with an updated deck list and updated record for the day. Not sure how many more days I'll do, maybe two after today, doubt it's that enjoyable to read except maybe the first couple posts.

EDIT: First game after posting this, I get this guy down to 2 health while I'm still at 20, then all of the sudden I get hit by 10 freakin Temporal Fissure and everything gets put back into my hand. I think to myself "You just need a Myr, already have Feeder, if I get a Myr then I can win in two turns." I draw a Myr. Throw down a land and a Feeder, and pass with my fingers crossed. My opponent only has 2 cards left in his hand, surely there is no more severely frustrating things he can do like his last turn. Wrong. More Temporal Fissure, back to my hand. I only take 1 damage so its fine. My turn comes, I play a land and a Feeder, pass with my fingers crossed. More stupid manuevering with cards I haven't seen before, some annoying cards I have seen before like faerie cloud or w/e its called. More Temporal Fissure. I take 5 damage this time. I get land down, Feeder down, pass on. Same thing again, then again. I cannot believe that happened.

EDIT2: Just remembered New Player tickets. I have not used them yet. I may check that out after The Walking Dead... You get "phantom" boosters and such for them right?

Day Three Continued
I queue up in a New Player Draft and after a while of waiting no one joins but I see someone join the New Player Sealed, so I join that instead. In about 5-7 minutes two others join and it starts. I stick with Green/Black because there are a lot of cards I'm familiar with from Duels 2013 like Rancor and Ravenous Rats and a few others. I didn't notice until after I submitted my deck that there were really good white cards like Pacificm. Oh well. I get into my first match and I get out a 3/3 Dryad, can't remember its name, with Rancor attached to it after doing early damage and he concedes. The following game I get two murders in a row on his fatties and he concedes. 2-0.

I get into my second match and the guy takes literally 3 minutes to decide if he wants to mulligan. Every time he makes a decision it takes at least 20 seconds. At first I thought he was 100% beginner and had no idea what he was doing, which is still possible and he just got the luckiest sealed boosters ever. He has everything. Thragtusk, Duskdale Wurm, a Bond Beetle + the 4/4 creature that makes you send one of your permanents back to your hand each upkeep combo, and several other strong cards. To top it all off I got mana screwed for 3 turns. I concede. We get into game two and I make slight adjustments in my deck. He gets a fast Wurm out thanks to that annoying card that lets you untap forests, sorry I keep forgetting names of cards. But I counter it with a Murder and do heavy damage with a 6/4 Artifact creature, the second part of his name was Hulk. Found it - Phyrexian Hulk. And I had Rancor on him. He concedes game two. Then in game three everything goes right for him like in game one and I concede on turn 8 or 9. Then I get kicked from the tournaments. It only went until you lose, but I read that you play all the games, or maybe I'm thinking of a league or soemthing. I thought I still had a chance to win the card you could have won. It's not a huge deal, Pillar of Flame I think, but it would have been nice to win it.

Oh well, I still have 3 New Player tickets, I'll try again tomorrow. I learned not to rush the deck building process. I was kinda jittery, it's been a while since I've done anything competitive, at least 6 months, and kind of rushed it. Also, this is the time to be experimenting, not sticking with the cards I'm familiar with already.

EDIT: Speaking of Leagues, do they not exist anymore? I went to the league area but there aren't any. Really wanted to join one, sounded fun = /

EDIT2: Did some research. Apparently Leagues have been down for several years. I am dissapoint. I am very dissapoint.

Day Three Continued (Again)
I took out 2x Altar's Reap and 1x Duress and replaced it with 3x Doom Blade to deal with fatties. Also, whenever I've gotten Altar's Reap, it would have been really bad to sac a creature; it would be better to sac with my Feeder or I need my few creatures for defending or something like that. 

I went 1-3 in regular Pauper games after making the changes. Doom Blade was definitely more useful than Altar's Reap, though.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a Sideboard and start doing Pauper matches. 
Yeah, the new player tix are for phantom limited events.  In normal limted events, you provide the boosters and get to keep whatever cards you opened.  However, phantom events are when you don't provide boosters (the boosters are 'phantom') and thus you don't keep any cards opened in the tournament.

So, it's to give you a taste of limited tournaments without you having to pony up the high entry fee (i.e. boosters).

I had most of this typed up but accidently closed my browser. It won't be as detailed now since it won't be as fresh in my mind, sorry.

Day Four

I started my MTGO day by doing homework. I went here and looked at the recent Pauper tournament deck lists. I wrote down a long list of notable cards that took up 2 pages front and back and the front of a third page of my Steno notebook (I'm a bit of a writer so I always have it near me).

Then I bought 2 tix. I said I would cut myself off from buying more tix until Tuesday (tomorrow) but it's kind of addicting, especially as someone who plans on playing a lot of Pauper. For $1 I can potentially get 100 cards; or in this case for $2 I got 200 cards.

Notable cards I got:
4x Veteran's Reflexes
4x Sejiri Steppe 
4x Shrivel
4x Obelisk of Esper 
4x Kaleidostone
4x Etherium Abomination 

Other cards I got for future decks I'm thinking about:
4x Kor Outfitter
4x Kitesail Apprentice 
4x Obelisk of Esper

Accidently got a lot of Uncommons which didn't realize until just now which really cut into the possible theme I was thinking of for a potential deck. Trying to look at the bright side: I got a good number of uncommons for for 1 cent each and I'll have to use someday, I'm sure.

I threw together this sideboard for my existing Graveyard Pauper deck:
3x Douse in Gloom
1x Duress
2x Echoing Decay
2x Ghastly Demise
3x Naturalize
3x Stab Wound
1x Stinkweed Imp

Basically my train of thought is my deck has trouble dealing with token decks, so echoing decay and douse in gloom can help lower their numbers. If they have fatties I can throw in some stab wounds and have it backfire on them. Naturalize and Duress just in case I need them, and an extra Stinkweed if I think extra milling would be helpful.

By the time I finished all that shopping and throwing a sideboard together I didn't feel like playing any Pauper matches with my deck haha. So I decided to crack open my Planeswalker cards which I didn't think I'd use. Took me a minute to find the Planeswalker cards after I cracked it open (on your deck editor, the same filter you use to select game modes, scroll down to "Special Sets" and it's under that as "Planeswalker".

Planeswalker deck:
5x Plains
5x Swamp
5x Forest
4x Evolving Wilds

2x Elite Vanguard
2x Tormented Soul
2x Elvish Visionary
2x Thornweald Archer
3x Guardians of Akrasa
2x Warpath Ghoul
2x Wood Elves
1x Peace Strider
2x Duskmantle Prowler
1x Elquad Inquisitor
2x Kor Cartographer
2x Garruk's Packleader
1x Thragtusk
1x Xathrid Gorgon

1x Fog
2x Giant Growth
2x Crippling Blight
3x Doom Blade
1x Moment of Heroism
3x Pacifism
1x Glorious Anthem
2x Oblivion Ring
1x Tendrils of Corruption

That took for freakin ever to type up. So many cards. Going to go play for a while. I'll update this later.

EDIT: Took out the Tendril, was thinking it did damage based on all land, not just swamps. Added Divine Favor just 'cause.

Day Four Continued
I went 4-2 in the new player area with the Planeswalker deck I made. Apparently people waste their money on more Planeswalker cards; weird. The games weren't very exciting. I've already forgotten most of what happened during all of them.

Then I went and had my first Pauper best of 3. I destroy game one with my usual combinations, kill the guy while still having 15 health. Goes into the part where you can use your sideboard and such and I see the guy leave the chat. What I figure happened is he closed his client instead of hitting concede, so I had to wait through that, then wait in the next game for 10 minutes. It was just a casual game and means nothing, but it was my first Pauper bo3 and I wanted the win, if I left it would have been 1-1 technically, and not felt like a win. Anyways...

I want to do a New Player Draft but I have my kid sister and I wouldn't be able to concentrate, and I don't want to waste a ticket. I'll probably try one later if people join it; if not I'll do more Pauper matches.

Might edit this with another update later. Today might be the last post; if it is I'll probably do an update post in a week or two or something.

Day Four Continued (Again)
Played a New Player Draft. Tried a Green/Blue/White deal. Lost in the first round to Mono-black 0-2.

I prefer Sealed over Draft, but don't particularly care for either one. Guess I'll mostly play Pauper 8-man tournaments until Leagues exist again (hopefully they will).

Still have two New Player tickets. I'll probably use them both on New Player Sealed.

EDIT: Went an additional 2-4 in Planeswalker. Seriously can't believe people spend money on more Planeswalker cards. 
Just one quick note.  Unless you are running a 3 color deck, I personally find the signets from the original ravnica (i.e. Dimir Signet et al.) to be better than any of the oblisks.  Just because 2 mana is less than 3, even if the signets can be awkward at times.

I'll keep that in mind.

Is there a way to change the title of this thread? Would probably be better to change it to iRemedy's MTGO Journal or iRemedy Plays MTGO [Journal]. idk. Think I'm going to stop the daily updates so they don't get too repetitive, but I think weekly updates for the first few weeks would be cool
I'll keep that in mind.

Is there a way to change the title of this thread? Would probably be better to change it to iRemedy's MTGO Journal or iRemedy Plays MTGO [Journal]. idk. Think I'm going to stop the daily updates so they don't get too repetitive, but I think weekly updates for the first few weeks would be cool

You can change the title for a certain amount of time/posts.  There would be an edit button when you to to the forum page next to the title.  If you don't see it, then it can't be changed anymore.  I don't think it really needs to be, though.

iRemedy,

Welcome to MTGO.  I've been playing since I got hooked on the first DotP (2009?)  Absolutely love the game!!!  I'm at work now Frown so I don't have much time to talk, but I would always be available to play a game (any format you want) and would love to offer advice where I can.

Many people are extremely knowledgable and helpful on these boards...MTGKaioshin is a perfect example.  My in-game name is Lafave and I'm usually on most nights (5pm - 8pm, EST).  Hope to talk to you soon.  Enjoy the game!
iRemedy,

Welcome to MTGO.  I've been playing since I got hooked on the first DotP (2009?)  Absolutely love the game!!!  I'm at work now so I don't have much time to talk, but I would always be available to play a game (any format you want) and would love to offer advice where I can.

Many people are extremely knowledgable and helpful on these boards...MTGKaioshin is a perfect example.  My in-game name is Lafave and I'm usually on most nights (5pm - 8pm, EST).  Hope to talk to you soon.  Enjoy the game!

Sounds good, I look forward to testing my Pauper deck against you = )
Update
I set up a stream: twitch.tv/iiremedyii
Thought it would be a fun way for me to track my progress, plus I've wanted to stream for a while but my laptop couldn't handle my other competitive games.

I only played a handful of games today but they were all against the same deck. Red/Blue with Cloudpost, Glimmerpost and a lot of burn/control spells where they try to stall and get out this 8 mana 8/8 creature that when it attacks you have to sacrifice 2 permanents... Really annoying. I went even against it though. Guess that's a bonus of playing people who just copy decks they find online, half of them don't now how to play it.

I started working on a Mono-White deck. I guess it would be a wheenie deck? I'm still not sure on the terminologies. A lot of low cost creatures and a good number of equipments and the deck is based on using the equipment for extra effects; not sure how else to explain it.

My main cards are Kitesail Apprentice, Court Homunculus, and Kor Outfitter. Still working on the rest. My equipments are Bonesplitter, Adventuring Gear, Explorer's Scope and Bone Saw. Bone saw is in there because its free to put down and can instantly boost my Apprentice and Homunculus, then when they're a 1 cost 2/2, +1 is a nice boost. Explorer's Scope has been really nice on my Apprentice. The flying it gets for having equipment makes it harder to block, more chances for me to get a mana advantage, which is mostly used for throwing down more equipement.

So, tomorrow will be the first day I stream; I did a few test games and got the settings to a decent level and such. I'll be playing Pauper in the just for fun room and will be working on my Mono-White deck.

Just remembered tomorrow is Thanksgiving. Ill still be streaming, though.

EDIT: VOD of my last test game - here (if you want a preview of the deck I'm working on..._ 
Update
I set up a stream: twitch.tv/iiremedyii
Thought it would be a fun way for me to track my progress, plus I've wanted to stream for a while but my laptop couldn't handle my other competitive games.

I only played a handful of games today but they were all against the same deck. Red/Blue with Cloudpost, Glimmerpost and a lot of burn/control spells where they try to stall and get out this 8 mana 8/8 creature that when it attacks you have to sacrifice 2 permanents... Really annoying. I went even against it though. Guess that's a bonus of playing people who just copy decks they find online, half of them don't now how to play it.

I started working on a Mono-White deck. I guess it would be a wheenie deck? I'm still not sure on the terminologies. A lot of low cost creatures and a good number of equipments and the deck is based on using the equipment for extra effects; not sure how else to explain it.

My main cards are Kitesail Apprentice, Court Homunculus, and Kor Outfitter. Still working on the rest. My equipments are Bonesplitter, Adventuring Gear, Explorer's Scope and Bone Saw. Bone saw is in there because its free to put down and can instantly boost my Apprentice and Homunculus, then when they're a 1 cost 2/2, +1 is a nice boost. Explorer's Scope has been really nice on my Apprentice. The flying it gets for having equipment makes it harder to block, more chances for me to get a mana advantage, which is mostly used for throwing down more equipement.

So, tomorrow will be the first day I stream; I did a few test games and got the settings to a decent level and such. I'll be playing Pauper in the just for fun room and will be working on my Mono-White deck.

Just remembered tomorrow is Thanksgiving. Ill still be streaming, though.

EDIT: VOD of my last test game - here (if you want a preview of the deck I'm working on..._ 

Other cards for white weenie equpiment:

Auriok Glaivemaster
Leonin Den-Guard
Skyhunter Cub
Sunspear Shikari

Flayer Husk

haha, thanks again for your suggestions = )
Update Two
Just finished day two of streaming. I've gotten tons of practice against a very wide selection of decks the past two days and my mono-white deck has done surprisingly well. Overall I'm probably a little less than even. Even against Infect decks, probably negative against delver/faerie, probably negative against elves, everything else is probably even.

Current Deck List
20x Plains

4x Auriok Glaivemaster
4x Court Homonunculus (He's done good work, but he's a placeholder until I can get Sunspear Shikari)
4x Kitesail Apprentice (My favorite card currently)
4x Leonin Den-guard 
4x Skyhunter Cub

3x Pacifism
3x Arrest

3x Explorer's Scope
4x Bonesplitter
2x Adventuring Gear
2x Spidersilk Net
3x Bone Saw

Thinking about getting Flayer Husk and Sylvok Lifestaff.

Best of three against a Landfall deck (there's some extra stuff after it too)
If you want to watch more of this deck, there are tons of videos on my channel already - twitch.tv/iiremedyii
There are a few games of my graveyard deck, but I don't think any of them were any good. There's also video from me using my last New Player ticket in a draft and winning both matches 2-0, but I think that's in the middle of a 6 hour video, haha

Going to invest in a 'real' deck soon, can't decide which. I have like 1/3 the cards for Infect, but so many people play it... Maybe Delver blue tempo or whatever. Also saw this Mono-black deck that looks fun/good, and I have about half the cards for it. Gotta do some research I guess.

EDIT: Went ahead and bought the 3 cards I needed to beef up my deck. Added 3x Flayer Husk (going to test it, not sure if I'll keep), 4x Sylvok Lifestaff, and 4x Sunspear Shikari. Took out the 4x Court Homonunculus, the adventuring gear and the explorer's scope, and moved the nets to my sideboard. The nets are really useful against Delver/Faerie, so I'll keep those in there. Still tweaking my sideboard
iRemedy,

I should be on a little later this afternoon and/or tonight.  I added you to my buddies list, so I'll be able to see when you are in-game.  I just made my first two pauper decks after playing MTGO for over 3 years...LOL.  Talk to you later.

P.S.  If anyone else wants to play, let me know.  I just play for fun; none of my decks are "tournament quality".

PPS(?) PSS(?)  There was a new player who I played with about a month ago...I didn't respond for a while and he deleted me from his buddies list.  If you're out there...sorry...please feel free to send me a message, and I'll gladly play.
Update Three
I've been running Mono-Black Control.

22x Swamp

2x Augur of Skulls
3x Ravenous Rats
3x Chittering Rats
3x Liliana's Specter
3x Phyrexian Rager
2x Okiba-Gang Shinobi

4x Disfigure
3x Sign in Blood
2x Wrench Mind
3x Geth's Verdict
3x Victim of Night
4x Tendrils of Corruption
3x Corrupt

Sideboard 

4x Duress
4x Nausea
2x Echoing Decay
1 Geth's Verdict
4x Doom Blade

I've really enjoyed the deck, and I feel like I have a nice balance between removal and discard. I can also feel the huge difference between a "fun deck" and a deck that can actually be competitive. I have a lot of experience against most of the strong meta decks already (I've been playing a lot, perhaps an unhealthy amount) and I've won more than I've lost, and every game I still learn more, or think of new tricks on how to use cards, or even just learning how to use them properly and to their full effect.

I've also met more friendly/helpful people through streaming, and any of you who check this thread, thanks again for all your help = )

Also, I'm always open to games, so don't hesitate to add me and send me a challenge (just let me know if you found me from my stream or from this thread).

Hm. What else? I think I've only spent like $5 on tix since the last update where I said I bought more tix, and I managed to get this decent deck. Helps that I had a good number of the cards from bulk sale bots early on back when I was building the graveyard deck. Which reminds me, the deck is kind of weak against Graveyard decks. Sometimes I can get them into a position where I get rid of their hand too quickly for them to get set up, or I can force them to discard cards they don't want in their graveyard, but its more coin flippy than some of the other match ups.

Also, I believe I'm going to build/learn a Delver/Faerie deck. Not 100% sure, and it'd be a while before I'm ready to build/learn something new so we'll see.
You could sideboard (or even maindeck) some Cremate for graveyard shenanigans.  Bujoka Bog is obvioulsy good for this, but it does slow you down a bit and (more importantly) it dilutes the swamp matters cards.

Otherwise, it looks like a great deck.  I assume you are finding that the ninja is pretty much insane.  Love that guy.

Yeah, the first day the Ninja did very little, but since then it has been quite handy. Cremate looks like a nice card, I'll consider it. There are also some other cards to consider. I picked up copies of Consume Spirit and Tragic Slip, but decided Corrupt would be better than consume, and don't see how to work in tragic slip. Might make a different version of MBC at some point
Sign In to post comments