Entrance Cycle

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I accidentally designed a cycle during a contest about hosing leylines. Some people showed interest in it, so here it is in its very own thread!

Group Entrance
Sorcery (R)
If you control no lands, you may cast Group Entrance without paying its mana cost.
Put a 1/1 white soldier creature token onto the battlefield for each permanent target opponent controls.
"I brought friends."

Disrupting Entrance
Sorcery (R)
If you control no lands, you may cast Disrupting Entrance without paying its mana cost.
Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand.
"Hold on, I wasn't ready."

Deadly Entrance
Sorcery (R)
If you control no lands, you may cast Deadly Entrance without paying its mana cost.
Destroy target creature.
"Leaving so soon?"

Shocking Entrance
Sorcery (R)
If you control no lands, you may cast Shocking Entrance without paying its mana cost.
Shocking Entrance deals 2 damage to target player.
"Now that I've got your attention..."

Rumbling Entrance
Sorcery (R)
If you control no lands, you may cast Rumbling Entrance without paying its mana cost.
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
"Let's start simple."

Ok, so the idea for most of these is to be a slightly depowered card that might do something for free if you're playing second. The red one is an exception, but I like the design enough to keep it as is. The white one is all sorts of awkward, and I really don't like it much. Any better suggestions?

In fact, feel free to post any neat ideas you may have involving this ability.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

The red one could easily deal 3, or be able to hit creatures. Just 2 damage to the face isn't really worth a card.
The red one could easily deal 3, or be able to hit creatures. Just 2 damage to the face isn't really worth a card.

I guess it wouldn't be too cheap if it could hit creatures. I was worried about its power in a dedicated burn deck, but running a sorcery-speed Shock is probably enough of a disadvantage.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Shocking entrance seems okay as is. Red has plenty of aggressive ways to sac lands, so it can easily be free late game too.
Unfortunately, most players haven't played artifacts or enchantments or creatures on their very first turn, and especially not enchantments because they often depend on creatures..
I dislike Group Entrance because it's so far out of the range of the rest of the cycle.

You currently have four reactive options (that require your opponent to have done something) and one proactive option.

What if you made the white one cheaper, and made it a proactive option. for example:

Swooping Entrance |
Sorcery (R)
If you control no lands, you may cast Swooping Entrance without paying its mana cost.
Put a 1/1 white bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield. 

Then it'd be 3 reactive and two proactive options.
The White one is the most interesting of the bunch. None of the others appeal all that much, to me.
I think they would be cooler if that all had poweful effects, that rewarded you for staying without lands lategame. However, they can at the same time not be broken turn-1 plays, which is why the white one is pretty cool (although possibly overpowered, I'm not certain).

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

The free artifact kill is obviously for vintage land.
I'm with Mown - the White one is by far the coolest. I don't think it awkward or OP. If you don't like it, you could also do lifegain - though I don't think it is as neat, but maybe:

"If you control no lands, you may cast Group Entrance without paying its mana cost.
Gain X2 life where X is the number of permanents target opponent controls."

Or non-land. You'd also probably have to bump up the cost to like or something.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
No, the card should mainly reward you for playing the card early in the game, the main focus shouldn't be late-game combos where you sacrifice your lands..
There's nothig wrong with that cat.
They're all pretty interesting but yah the white one sticks out like a sore thumb. An awesome sore thumbe but still...
So do you amputate, adjust the cycle or maybe split it into two cycles?

These are all effective enough to pul their weight in limited. Obvioulsy you'd want them printed alongside some sort of leyline effect but even if it never shows up in any of your games it these guys wouldn't be dissapointing.
In constructed they're all sideboard cards except for the :R: and :W: ones. I expect that the red one would have a bigger impact in modern than standard though.
These + Desolation Angel = win!
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?

Yeah, that'd be a fun little combo. I definitely wouldn't call it a negative side-effect, though I can see some potential issues with anything that scales over time (like the white one).

Really I don't think that's a combo to be worried about. Even with the white one. Destroying all the lands on the field just to save 6 mana? You'd need to play quite a few group entrances in your deck to make it worth it. Especially since you wouldn't be getting the 1/1s for your opponents lands if you blew them all up. Maybe with another combo piece to take advantage of the tokens you could do something insane. As is it seems alright.
Your red card (not your white card!) from the cycle should be the only one that rewards you for having zero lands and that likes to be mainly played as combo piece late in the game..
Sign In to post comments