Buying eBooks from outside the USA

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought I would start a new thread rather than adding this to an existing thread.

For those of us outside the USA, eBooks are limited in terms of their availability due to protectionist measures enacted by our governments.

However, you can simply go to your Kindle account on Amazon and change your location to any address in the USA and you will be able to buy and download the full range of eBooks.

This does not affect your credit card address or your physical delivery address.

Anyway, I've been doing this for a while now and have full access to all of WotC's eBooks plus, more importantly, other eBooks as well.

Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Note that this bears the risk of Amazon one day finding out, banning your account and you losing access to all your "bought" (or rather rented) ebooks.
Yeah, I would either keep your eReader away from the internet.  Or at least remove the DRM on the eBook files.  Or you could just pirate the books.  That's really the only way that these draconian protectionist laws will be removed.
I don't think Amazon will ban a customer when I am not actually breaking any law in my country of residence or even in the US where Amazon is domiciled.

As for pirating books, I only do that when I have no choice. I have a choice now because I can buy books for my Kindle.

Actually, the address trick violates Amazon's regulations and they do ban people so they can keep the publishers happy. Be careful. It doesn't break any laws but it does break their policy. 
I don't think Amazon will ban a customer when I am not actually breaking any law in my country of residence or even in the US where Amazon is domiciled.

As for pirating books, I only do that when I have no choice. I have a choice now because I can buy books for my Kindle.

Just recently a woman from norway was banned and lost all her ebooks because of having a secondary account on a fake UK adress to buy books not available otherwise.

Amazon will get suspicious when a credit card that formerly only paid for deliveries to country A is suddenly paying for digital "deliveries" to country B. That can end with both accounts being banned (and in case of any DRM protected digital goodies these being rendered void)

Link

Interesting.

Thanks for the advice. I'll delete the thread. 
Sign In to post comments