Divine Deflection

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
My opponent is at 1 life. I am at 1 life. It is my opponent's turn. He attacks with a 2/2 creature. I have no creatures. I cast Divine Deflection, X=1. Who wins?
assuming you targetted your opponent with the Deflection, you do it's a tie
Divine Deflection creates a replacement effect, not a trigger, so it happens at the time damage is dealt
proud member of the 2011 community team
Can you elaborate?
assuming you targetted your opponent with the Deflection, you do
Divine Deflection creates a replacement effect, not a trigger, so it happens at the time damage is dealt

Wouldn't it be a tie?  1 damage is prevented, so 1 damage ends up being dealt to both players.

assuming you targetted your opponent with the Deflection, you do

Wouldn't it be a tie?  1 damage is prevented, so 1 damage ends up being dealt to both players.

right, it's a 2/2
missed that
proud member of the 2011 community team
Can you elaborate?

Divine Deflection creates a replacement effect, which means that it alters the actual event at the time it is happening.

So Drudge Beetle deals two combat damage to you becomes
Drudge Beetle deals one combat damage to you and Divine Deflection deals one damage to your opponent.

This is different to a triggered ability (I'm struggling to think of a similar effect that's triggered) which triggers first and then goes on the stack.  Triggered abilities start with When, Whenever or At...

Cheers
Sign In to post comments