Rules change to triggered abilities?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just want to confirm wether this is bullcrap or not.

2 guys at FNM tonight said there had been a rule update and that a forgotten mandatory triggered ability no longer had to be put on the stack if the player forgot to do so. (even if they quickly notice within 2 steps, like between untap and upkeep)

For example, they were saying a player's huntmaster would not transform since he had forgotten to announce it and trigger it at the end of the turn, and remembered during hi upkeep.

Also, and that's the part that made me go "wtf?" The opponent CAn decide to make the ability till hppen if it'S something negative, like losing life. When I asked how it's determined that the ability is negative or not. They said the opponent makes the choice.

Additionally, if a creature with exalted attacks and you don,t tell your opponent that it has exalted and which bonus it gets, the exalted ability does not apply for the current attack.

Did I miss a rule change or is this bull?
there was an update to the tournament rules recently, you can read about it here: blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2012/09/1...

intentionally "forgetting" triggers is however still cheating and will cause a DQ
proud member of the 2011 community team
The rules change they're talking about only applies at Competitive-level events, which FNM is not. At FNM, you cannot ignore anyone's triggers--if your opponent misses a non-optional trigger, you need to point it out no matter what it does.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The rules change they're talking about only applies at Competitive-level events, which FNM is not. At FNM, you cannot ignore anyone's triggers--if your opponent misses a non-optional trigger, you need to point it out no matter what it does.

Simplified Trigger Rules: You cannot “forget” your triggers. Your opponent is not required to remind you. If your opponent misses a trigger and you want it to happen, call a judge (and you’ll get to make happen if it’s still within a turn). If you miss your trigger unintentionally and the opponent doesn’t want it to happen, it won’t happen.

This part seems a bit ambiguous to me. It said you can't forget your triggers, but you actually can, since, as I understand it, they will only happen if your opponent wants them to.

So I could for example not put an upkeep trigger on the stack, which has me gain life, call a judge, ask for a rewind, then have my opponent say they don't want it to happen, and then play a card with a fateful hour bonus.

This effectively lets me ignore some triggers that may seem beneficial, as long as my opponent refuses them (and I can't see why the opponent would ever refuse to counter an ability for free).

And if I understand correctly, rewinds CAN happen, but it depends who controls the ability, not how quikly it was discovered to have been missed.

And what happens if a choice has to be made by an opponent on an ability I control (Ex, drawing cards) and they forget to do it? The trigger was missed by the opponent, but from a card I control, so who gets to make the choce to make it happen or not? 
you can forget your triggers, but you cannot "forget" your triggers
that's then up to the judge to decide if it was intentional or not

there are no rewinds
if the trigger is caught in time and the opponent wants it to happen, it is put at the bottom of the stack
if not it is simply ignored

you control triggers of cards you control
it doesn't matter who it affects
you always control the trigger of Howling Mine if you control the mine, it doesn't matter whose turn it is
proud member of the 2011 community team
"For example, they were saying a player's huntmaster would not transform since he had forgotten to announce it and trigger it at the end of the turn"

Whoa whoa whoa... "end of turn" is irrelevant for Huntmaster/Ravager. That triggers during the UPKEEP... That's when you announce the trigger. It has nothing to do with the end step. 

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

Additionally, if a creature with exalted attacks and you don,t tell your opponent that it has exalted and which bonus it gets, the exalted ability does not apply for the current attack.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think saying something like 'Exalted triggers' when you declare your lone attacker is enough.

Cheers
That is correct, sir. Saying "Exalted triggers" at the appropriate moment is an acknowledgement of the trigger (or, at least, I would accept it) but power and toughness is derived information, so I don't have to state how big the creature is --- until, that is, you ask me how much damage it deals.

That's my understanding anyway. 

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman