Cheapest Decks

76 posts / 0 new
Last post
What Decks do you guys think are the cheapest?
Goblins.

Goblins.

I have a feeling this will be the clear winner. My vote goes for GG as well, almost any build can do well, even 100 card builds can do well, which is stupidly consistent compared to the rest of the decks.
Aggro, burn, mill, permission, hexproof, storm, infect...

In the case of this game though, none of the decks.
For this game is Goblins. Not to say its broken but like someone else said is easily the most consistent  and can win in a few turns.
Looking through the cards, I'm going to guess that Act of War is the cheapest deck.

Haha...yeah, I read it as in "costs least to build" for some reason.
I wouldn't say the cards in the goblin deck are too powerful for this format (except for Piledriver), but my issue with goblins is how consistent they are due to having 2-3 copies of every good card in the deck. Yeah, we can set up god hands for Collective Might, Act of War, Peacekeepers, Pack Instinct, etc., but they won't happen anywhere near consistent enough compared to goblins due to the lack of multiple copies of key cards for the god hands, or the need to have a few specific key cards at the 2-3 mana cost range. Goblins has neither of these problems, with many good 1-3 mana cards, it almost doesn't matter which ones you draw, you're bound to get anywhere from a good hand to a god hand.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

They all cost .99¢

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I don't mean cheap in the sense of cost... lol.
None is going to mention Aura deck?

Hexproof + indestructable + pariya.

I guess no one here plays any format other then 1 va 1 matches. 
Aura Servants isn't cheap.  I have no love for the deck, but:

--the combo you mention requires a one-off, Pariah, as well as 2 other cards to pull off
--many / most decks have answers to enchantments.  Two of the best decks that don't, Chandra and Liliana, have great sweepers that can potentially kill hexproof creatures.  
--it is a very inconsistent deck to play: unlike every other deck, it can get screwed on either not drawing enough creatures or not drawing enough enchantments

It is better in 2HG than 1 on 1, but almost every deck is, and 2HG just means the odds of drawing enchantement removal are even greater.  

Sometimes AS will pull off that combo and there won't be much you can do about it.  But most other decks have situations like that too - ie Ascetisim plus Lord of Extinction plus Rancor. 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Sometimes AS will pull off that combo and there won't be much you can do about it.  But most other decks have situations like that too - ie Ascetisim plus Lord of Extinction plus Rancor. 

Or even just Asceticism + Rancor really. There's a ton of creatures in SS that are a serious threat with those in play.

All this hexproof makes me miss shroud.

Lightning Greaves and Sphinx of Jwar Isle want to give you a hug.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

You forgot Simic Sky Swallower and made him cry. You should apologize.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I didn't intend to list all the shroud things in this game, and I'm sure I missed another one or so. I was just pointing out that there is shroud in this game.

I am Blue/White

I didn't intend to list all the shroud things in this game, and I'm sure I missed another one or so. I was just pointing out that there is shroud in this game.

It was just a joke, man. Don't worry ;)

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

It was just a joke, man. Don't worry ;)

I know, you were supposed to go out and find some other shroud card that hasn't been mentioned, then my next line would have been, "Well, then that card can cry together with SSS."

I am Blue/White

Multani, Maro-Sorcerer.

You're welcome. 
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer.

You're welcome. 

The Darth Vader* of Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Also Whispersilk Cloak.

*Back when WotC made Star Wars Miniatures, they were contractually obigated to include at least one mini of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, even if he had nothing to do with the set.
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer.

You're welcome. 

The Darth Vader* of Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Also Whispersilk Cloak.

*Back when WotC made Star Wars Miniatures, they were contractually obigated to include at least one mini of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, even if he had nothing to do with the set.

The cloak doesn't have shroud... it grants shroud. That's a key difference!
The cloak doesn't have shroud... it grants shroud. That's a key difference!

What makes it different from the aforementioned Lightning Greaves then? ;)
Nothing, because it shouldn't have been mentioned. The greaves don't have Shroud... I know, because I've targeted them.
Nothing, because it shouldn't have been mentioned. The greaves don't have Shroud... I know, because I've targeted them.

Okay, well, you'll have to ask Brodo then if he thinks they "count as shroud" (or whatever), it was his "I miss shroud" comment that started it.
Neither the greaves nor the cloak could be equipped to Multani/SSS/Jwar Isle. Therefore, Multani/SSS/Jwar Isle are the only cards in the game that cannot be targeted by spells or abilities. :-p
Neither the greaves nor the cloak could be equipped to Multani/SSS/Jwar Isle. Therefore, Multani/SSS/Jwar Isle are the only cards in the game that cannot be targeted by spells or abilities. :-p

Yeah, I get that.
Unfortunately, you aren't the one that misses shroud, so you aren't the one that gets to define what that means.
Crosswinds. Panoptic Mirror + Time Warp, and Bribery. The mirror combo is just not fun to play against.

I don't think Goblins are cheap at all. I think they're one of the most fun to play.
As an avid CW player I propose a gentleman's agreement that Warp never goes under the Mirror.
Now that my friends IS cheap. So many other things to imprint.
Heck I imprinted Call to Mind last night and bad a blast without pissing off the other 4 players

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

3 players

Show

As an avid CW player I propose a gentleman's agreement that Warp never goes under the Mirror. Now that my friends IS cheap. So many other things to imprint. Heck I imprinted Call to Mind last night and bad a blast without pissing off the other 4 players

I never imprint warp, it isn't as fun. Imprinting a repulse then using time warp afterwards makes the game more interactive. Although i think it pisses off my opponent more. Sometimes i lol when they play the same creature 4+ turns in a row before conceding
I only imprint the Warp if I would lose by not doing it... or if the other guy is playing Gobbos, though I admittedly don't usually get that far.
As an avid CW player I propose a gentleman's agreement that Warp never goes under the Mirror. Now that my friends IS cheap. So many other things to imprint. Heck I imprinted Call to Mind last night and bad a blast without pissing off the other 4 players

I imprint other things to the mirror, but I'm not going to stop imprinting time warp. It's simply a good play, and there's no reason for me to just stop making good plays. Should I also not cast Phyrexian Obliterator if my opponent is playing red? Should I not use Pernicious Deed if I would gain too much card advantage.

I am Blue/White

I'm with you on this agreement...we will use it in emergency situations, but never against friends. Tripp imprinted time reversal once and insisted on casting it every damn turn...now THAT is a pain in the hole...

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

I'm with you on this agreement...we will use it in emergency situations, but never against friends. Tripp imprinted time reversal once and insisted on casting it every damn turn...now THAT is a pain in the hole...

Reversal is my favorite one to imprint if I have Bribed Niv and have Curiosity on him.

Show

Reversal is my favorite one to imprint if I have Bribed Niv and have Curiosity on him.

A Bribed Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind with Curiousity on him is an insta-win if you can proc it even once, provided you have as many cards in your library as they do health.

I think everyone here knows by now how my competitive nature wouldn't allow me to be part of this "gentleman's agreement."  It's rediculous to not take the most efficient path to victory.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I think everyone here knows by now how my competitive nature wouldn't allow me to be part of this "gentleman's agreement."  It's rediculous to not take the most efficient path to victory.

How is it efficient if you have nothing to bring on the win for lets say, 5 or 6 turns.
Just enough for your opponent to call you a ******** and quit.

Show

How is it efficient if you have nothing to bring on the win for lets say, 5 or 6 turns.

It prevents them from getting to anything in their deck that can disrupt your combo.  Completely locking your opponent out of the game will ALWAYS be the most efficient.  That is generally the idea for any combo deck.  Locking your opponent out of the game.  In paper magic, once locked down, the opponent usually has the courtesy to scoop.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

"How is removing your opponent from the game effiicient?"

Well lemme think on this a moment.....
I think Obedient Dead is the cheapest deck in the game.  It has answers to every deck in the game.  If it had Terror instead of Murder I might think a little differently.  And the Promo Unlocks are the strongest cards in the game.  It has HUGE fliers, lifegain, direct damage, sweepers, -1/-1 counters, ramp, discard.  Everything but LD. 

I play OD less than I play GG because I just feel dirty when I play it.  Atleast with GG, once the game gets to turn 7 or 8, you are struggling.  If you don't get the good cards early, you're done for unless you happen to get a Krenko, relentless assault or Clickslither.  With OD it can win early and the longer the game goes, the more likely it is to win. 

With GG, even your mid/late game strat can be disrupted if your opponent has the right answer.  With OD's late game strat if they do have the right answer, I still feel like the deck offers enough that it's not that big of a deal.  All they've done is bought themselves another turn or two.

You're a lose cannon.