The official text duel thread: The diabolic machine rages on

1112 posts / 0 new
Last post

INTRODUCTION:

This is a thread dedicated to playing Magic with people over the internet by posting your moves. Specify what kind of game you're looking for and then wait for some time, or answer to another person's request. Unfortunately, 20-30% of the people asking for a game don't stay here and don't come back, and other people leave during the game. Once you have found an opponent, don't leave this thread and post your next turn within the next minutes. Note that a game can last for 2-3 hours, depending on what decks are being played.

YOUR OPPONENT:

If you don't know your opponent, make sure that your decks have similar power levels, because people have different opinions on what casual play is. Viewing other people's games or their profiles in the introduction thread should give you an impression if they're playing with funny decks that aren't very strong and make for a long match or if they're playing with pretty effective and competitive decks that win after few turns.

HOW TO PLAY:

Always post your life totals, the number cards in hand, and tapped + untapped permanents. Post other things if they're important, for example your untap step + upkeep step + draw step (U, U, D) together with effects that trigger during these steps. Ask for responses when it's important how your opponent reacts, for example when you're attacking and combat might become exciting because of possible blockers or possible combat tricks. Most of the time, it's a good idea to say that you're done with your turn if your opponent doesn't have any responses.

One possible example on how to post a turn:

You: "U, U, lose one life and draw one card, D. Swamp. Grasp Of Darkness your Birds Of Paradise. After that, attack with my Headless Horseman. If you don't have any responses, go."

18 life (or) L:18
5 cards (or) CiH: 5
, (or) T: 2 x Swamp, U: 2 x Swamp
Unholy Strength@Headless Horseman (4/3)
Phyrexian Arena (or) U: Phyrexian Arena

Other player: "As response to your grasp, I'm going to cast a kicked Vines Of Vastwood on the birds, does that change your turn?"

You: "Oh, then I won't attack you. Headless Horseman remains untapped, and it's your turn."

HOW TO AUTOCARD:

[c]Lightning Bolt[/c] = Lightning Bolt, [c=Lightning Bolt]L-Bolt[/c] = L-Bolt

If you don't know which cards the other player is familiar with, you should auto-card so that your opponent can read your cards. The basic lands and famous cards don't have to be auto-carded, but even if your opponents also knows your other cards, he or she may want to read them another time every once in a while. It's nice to auto-card some complicated permanents when you list them at the end of your turn.

TAP / MANA SYMBOLS:

tap symbols [mc]t[/mc] =
untap symbols [mc]q[/mc] =
colorless mana [mc]1[/mc] = , [mc]2[/mc] =
colored mana [mc]w[/mc] = , [mc]u[/mc] = , [mc]b[/mc] = , [mc]r[/mc] = , [mc]g[/mc] =
phyrexian mana [mc](wph)[/mc] = , [mc](uph)[/mc] = , [mc](bph)[/mc] = , [mc](rph)[/mc] = , [mc](gph)[/mc] =
hybrid mana [mc](gw)[/mc] = [mc](wg)[/mc] = , [mc](wb)[/mc] = [mc](bw)[/mc] = , [mc](bg)[/mc] = [mc](gb)[/mc] =

MULTIPLAYER:

Specify how many people you want to join and wait for some time. Once there are enough players, explain possible extra rules, divide teams and set the turn order. Such games often take 3-7 hours, and people not knowing that might leave after some hours. Unfortunately, that's how most of the multiplayer games end, be aware of this problem!

PROBLEMATIC CARDS:

* Cards that allow you to look at your opponent's library require them to post a decklist and then adjust numbers.
* Cards that care about graveyards force players to post lots of stuff every turn, especially when facing milling decks.
* Cards that force opponents to post responses and decisions again and again can make the game take forever.
* Cards that select "at random" might require lots of trust in your opponent, even more so than most other things.

THE NEXT THREAD:

Remember to create another thread when this one has 900 - 1000 posts. Simply quote this opening post and copy everything, then delete the quote tags. Don't forget to mention a very bad card in your thread's title, otherwise you're breaking with traditions!

Enjoy your games.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
those personality things
I am White/Black

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
game on kichiguy.chatango.com/ anyone on standard? i made a 5 color control and want to master it by next week.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

game anyone?
those personality things
I am White/Black

quotes
56778328 wrote:
This thread was created two weeks too early, but let's post here now that our last thread has reached >900 posts..
Expressing an interest to have a game - a bit busy for the next 2 hours, but after that, I'd be keen to have a go with a deck I would class as 'casual but fairly well constructed'.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Ready and willing for a game now. Will be around for the next couple of hours.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Modern/casual? I can standard, but I do it with great disdain!
Casuals great with me; I tend to play by legacy deck construction rules but try to keep power level in check.

If you're happy for a game, then...

On a D20 I roll a 14, and elect to play should I win the die roll. Draw 7 cards, happy with hand, keeping. Ftr, deck is 60 cards in case that matters for anything.
Hey that's fine, My play group sticks to modern legal stuff, so that's what I got to use. Breaking out my super fun time deck, not too powerful, bit of a glass cannon, but hey. Also 60 cards.

I managed a 15 ;) so ill take play.

Keeping open 7

GL HF

UU
Forest

L:20
H:6
T:
U:forest

Go
It's my first time doing one of these text duels, so if I leave anything out feel free to let me know. :-)

U, U, D - draw card for the turn, 8 in hand.
Play a Plains, tap it, play a Mother of Runes.

L: 20
H: 6
T: Plains
U: Mother of Runes (SS)

Your turn. 
Oh ok np

UUD
Forest
vine trellis

H:5
T:2 forest
U: trellis
I like your format so I might just carbon copy.

UUD
Thawing Glaciers

T: Glaciers
U: Plains, Mother of Runes

Yours 
Glad I can help

UUD
Forest
axebane guardian

H:4
T:3 forest
U: trellis, axebane

Go
UUD
Emeria, the Sky Ruin

T: Emeria
U: Glaciers, 1 Plains, Mother

Yours 
UUD
buried ruin
overgrown battlement

... Me tinks I need some dig...lol

H:3
T:2 forest
U:forest, ruin, trellis, axebane, battlement

Go
Oh this is going to be a painful turn... >.<

EOT, tap Plains and activated Glaciers, fetching a plains. Cleanup, Glaciers to hand.

UUD
Plains
Attack with Mother of Runes (assuming it just gets blocked ^^)
Postcombat - Wrath of God

Sorry, too much mana available to you!

U: zilch
T: 3x Plains, Emeria
GY: Mother, Wrath 
Lol like I said, glass cannon. In response I'll tap out for aggressive urge and wildsize so I can draw 2.

UUD
Forest
parallel lives

H:2
T:4 forest
U:ruin, lives

Go
Ew, Parallel Lives... >.<

UUD
Wall of Omens, draw
Thawing Glaciers

T: 1 Plains, Emeria, Glaciers, Omens
U: 2 Plains

Your turn 
UUD
Whiff :/

H:3
T:
U: 4 forest, ruin, lives

Go
UUD
Thawing Glaciers

T: 1 Glaciers
U: 3 Plains, Emeria, 1 Glaciers, Wall of Omens

Go ahead. :-)
UUD
*durdle*

T:
U: 4 forest, ruin, lives

Go
Ouch. >.< Dw though, I've got nothing aggressive in my hand. ^^

EOT, pay 1 to fetch with Glaciers, getting a Plains. Cleanup, return it to my hand.

UUD (upon drawing, I retract my previous statement >.<)
Mistveil Plains
Baneslayer Angel

T: 4 Plains, Mistveil Plains, Emeria
U: Omens, Baneslayer, Glaciers

Your turn 
UUD
Hmm.
precursor golem
*puts 4 tokens down*

Ship it back

T:all land (5)
U: precursor, 4 clone buddies, lives

Go
I wonder if I'll get my cake and eat it too...

UUD
Nope, no cake + eating.

Combat: Attack for 5 in the air, assuming it goes through.
Postcombat: Thawing Glaciers
Swords to Plowshares targetting Precursor, copying to his friends
Wall of Reverence
End step: target Baneslayer with Rev's trigger, gain 5 life

L: 30
H: 4
T: 3 Plains, Emeria, 1 Glaciers, Mistveil, Baneslayer
U: 1 Plains, 1 Glaciers, Omens, Reverence

I also believe you're on 30 life. Go ahead. 
Cool, so I lose up go up 15 so I'm at 30 as well. Nice.

UUD
Forest

Pass

L:30
T:
U:6

Go
EOT, tap last Plains to activate Glaciers, fetching a Plains and bringing the Glaciers to my hand in the cleanup.

UUD
Precombat: Cradle of Vitality
Combat: Swing for 5 in the air. If it goes through, pay to add 5 counters to my Baneslayer.
Postcombat: Thawing Glaciers
End Step: Target Baneslayer with Wall of Reverence, gaining 10 life.

L: 45
T: Bane (+5/5), 4 Plains, Mistveil, Emeria, 1 Glaciers
U: Omens, Rev, Cradle, 1 Plains, 1 Glaciers

Go ahead 
Cute. Prob got me. EoT I'll summoning trap into precursor golem

UUD
Swing with 5 golems. Response?
I'll block a token with Wall of Omens, another token with Wall of Reverence, and then assuming that you don't do anything take 9 damage, bringing me to 36.
Damn 2 blockers. Ok math time.
6 free mana
-3 for wildsize
-2 for kickedvines of vastwood
-1 for viridescent wisps

Gives me all +7/+6 and trample, drawing me 10 cards

So each golem is now 10/9 trample.

30 is happeninging automatically from unblocked
The other 20 trample smashes into the 6 toughness wall and the 4 toughness wall so you take 10, blockers die.

Next turn you deal me 10, make baneslayer a 20/20, and u gain 10 right? Taking you to 20.

So I can deal another bazillion damage next turn, so either removal time or kill me or it's game

I think. Lol
Oh I lied. Forgot about my fresh card pool

2 life for mutagenic growth.

GG?
Ouch, I was expecting something, but that was pretty brutal... >.< 

EOT, ye ol' Glaciers-ness for a plains. That also brings me up to 7 plains (6 Plains + Mistveil Plains), bringing Emeria online. In the bin I have a Mother, Omens and Reverence.

U, U-Emeria out Reverence, D

Precombat: Wall of Omens, draw
Combat: attack with Baneslayer, deal 10 and gain 10, pay to add 10 more counters to Bane
Postcombat: Plains, Mother of Runes
End step: target Bane with Rev, gain 20 life, pay to put 20 counters on... Mother of Runes!

L: 35
T: Bane (+15/+15), 5 Plains, Emeria, Mistveil
U: Rev, Omens, Runes (+20/+20), Cradle, 2 Plains, Glaciers

Go ahead.

Edit: Mutagenic Growth on the previous swing would be game. :-)
Well regardless I'll simply do basically the same thing as last turn and bang u for another 50 or so.
It's easier if we do the takeback, as I'd respond this time, plus I still have 2 walls to block plus an additional 21/21 Mother. But GG, WP, my kingdom for a Swords on the previous turn (drew one off my Wall of Omens cantrip, but obviously that turn wouldn't have happened ).
Holy life gain batman! That is a crazy absurd. Any way to protect from removal? Someone playing black could really bust you up, or blue to bounce or something? Just curious.

And yeah I built this deck based off my buddies Nephalim deck. He would run 5 colors to target and draw all these cards, but golem made it so much easier. And I just play tons of ramp, and blow thru my deck off pump+cantrips :D
Emeria's my main removal 'protection'. Suffer from exile, and while Swords and Path are common in white decks in my playgroup, mass removal that isn't destruction isn't too common, nor is graveyard hate. The low end of the curve is a white control shell I use in a lot of my mid/late game Wx decks (4x Mother, 4x Swords, 4x Omens, 4x O-Ring, 4x Wrath), and then it tops out in the lifegain cards (Rev, Bane, Cradle and Felidar, with Bane and Felidar being the main wincons, and Rev and Cradle offering an alternate).

Good job coming back from the pretty one-sided Wrath though. Out of interest, were there any other wincons besides the golems? Like ramping up into a big fatty or something?
Haha nope!! Glass cannon baby!!
I could build more resiliency and such, but it's way too fun as it is, so I don't bother
Anyone for Standard? Or EDH...
Yeah, for sure. Not every deck has to be able to handle everything, and bringing out the glass cannon every once in a while can give everyone involved an interesting match. Besides, you've got at *least* Vines and other pump spells in there, so you've got some defense against targetted removal and damage/ -x/-x sweepers like Bonfire of the Damned and Mutilate.
Anyone? EDH or STD?