Ideas for races not yet included

I was thinking about some of the races that have traditionally been in older versions of D&D.

Here are my ideas for races that fit within the current iteration of rules.

Half-Elf

Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Elven*

Ability Score Adjustment: Choose any three ability scores, increase them all by 1.

Partial Low-Light Vision: If there is no light within 30 feet of you, you treat shadows in that radius as normal light.

Elf Weapon Talent: When you have advantage and attack with a shortsword, longsword, shortbow, or longbow which you have proficiency the damage die for that weapon increases by one step.

Elf Lineage Spirit: You have advantage to saving throws against effects that would inflict the charmed condition or put you to sleep.

Enhanced Reflexes: Your dexterity modifier is treated as 1 higher for saving throws.

Half-Orc

Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Orc*

Ability Score Adjustment: Increase Strength by 2.

Partial Low-Light Vision: If there is no light within 30 feet of you, you treat shadows in that radius as normal light.

Orc Weapon Talent: When you have advantage and attack with any martial weapon that you have proficiency, the damage die for that weapon increases by one step.

Relentless: If an attack would reduce your hit points to 0 or fewer you are not knocked unconcious until the next turn.

Gnome

Size: Small
Speed: 20 feet
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Gnome

Ability Score Adjustment: Increase Intellegence by 1.

Illusion Resistance: You have advantage on saving throws vs illusions.

Illusion Talent: Choose a level 0 illusion spell from the wizards list. You can cast this spell at will. Intellegence is your magic ability for it.

Gnomish Weapon Training: When you attack with a dagger with which you you have profeciency, the damage die for that weapon is increased by one size.

Gnomish Tech Talent: You are trained in the skill Knowledge(Sciences). If your background already grants training in this skill choose another Knowledge skill instead.
...Nope, sorry, gnomes are a dealbreaker unless it's an alternate fluffname for an earth genasi.  Thanks for playing!
But, gnomes are pretty groovy.  Also, I'd rather genasi appear with Planescape (same with Tiefling and Aasimar)

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
I would like half-orcs to make a return along with half-elf.
...Nope, sorry, gnomes are a dealbreaker unless it's an alternate fluffname for an earth genasi.  Thanks for playing!

The lack of gnomes would be a dealbreaker for me. If you don't like them you don't have to play one.
I like the basic idea of your half-elf OP. I'de be curious to play it.

I've often thought that half-elves didn't feel HALF-elf

In other news, bring on the gnomes. 
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
I've never really cared for Half-Races taking up space that could have been used for a distinct race. Unless that Half-Race was somehow distinct from both parents, it may be better as a side note on either of the parent races.

As to your Half-races, both are a bit out of proportion with existing non-humans.  
+1 to 3  (and the Dex bonus for saves, which may stack) is a bit much. +2 to Str is in keeping with what I would give non-humans, but is above their current trends.

Partial Low Light vision is an interesting idea, but it may be too situational.

The Half-Elf's advantage based wpn bonus may be too situational, whereas the Orc's is almost obscene in it's general utility and stackability with their racial stat bonus.

Relentless has a lot of potential. another idea may be that the first time you ar ereduced to 0 you can spend Hit Dice. However, the idea is very solid.

Gnomes seem soild, but I can't tell if you are going for the fey trickster or the tinker gnome. Mayhaps develop subraces?
Illusion resistance is good, you may want to add resistant to psychic damage if they bring that back. To keep it on par with Dwarven poison resistance.
Illusion talent is sound and concordant with current races.
Daggers are an interesting weapon choice... traditional, I think they have been associated with picks no? Why the change?
For the Trickster, I see the Dagger wroking... for the Machinist, why not go with Crossbows?
Tech Talent, not so much... give it either advantage with the roll or a bonus, but leave training for the other, non-race parts, that way you don't need the background caveat.

I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.

The lack of gnomes would be a dealbreaker for me. If you don't like them you don't have to play one.

I didn't say I'd only accept no gnomes.  Only that what WotC calls gnomes aren't gnomes and I won't accept them continuing that crap.  So you can have your gnomes, as long as they aren't called gnomes, hmm? Wink

In other news, I helped this thread get noticed!  My good deed for the day. Tongue Out

Thanks for the feed back, especially Verdegris_Sage.

All of the 'situational' versions of the elf abilities seemed to be a good way of incorporating the Elf side without being overpowered, whereas the choose three abilities to get a +1 represented a slightly less than half of the Human bonus. The Enhanced Reflexes was thown in as an extra situational bonus to make up what I thought was still a deficit when compared to the Human and Elf races.

The Relentless ability was taken pretty much straight from the Bestiary from the Orc entries. I thought it would work well for a Half-Orc PC as well. It might be a bit wonky, but seems fun though. The +2 to strength was like the Human +2 to any ability without the +1 to the rest. The Orc Weapon talent damage die size increase for martial weapons only applies while attacking with advantage, however you are right it probably is 'almost obsene' .

The Gnome was a bit trickier. I was trying to think of what the Gnome race represented in the previous editions, and then fit it into the packet rules. Splitting it up into subraces like the other races would probably be best. One for the trickster, and another for the mechanic.

Thanks for the feed back, especially Verdegris_Sage.

All of the 'situational' versions of the elf abilities seemed to be a good way of incorporating the Elf side without being overpowered, whereas the choose three abilities to get a +1 represented a slightly less than half of the Human bonus. The Enhanced Reflexes was thown in as an extra situational bonus to make up what I thought was still a deficit when compared to the Human and Elf races.

Well, anything that isn't human will have a deficit as they exist now. 
Creating new races when the current ones are still in a very unpolished state will lead to odd balancing acts. I was taking it more in comparison to all the other non-human races.
Regardless, your point is valid.

The Relentless ability was taken pretty much straight from the Bestiary from the Orc entries. I thought it would work well for a Half-Orc PC as well. It might be a bit wonky, but seems fun though. The +2 to strength was like the Human +2 to any ability without the +1 to the rest. The Orc Weapon talent damage die size increase for martial weapons only applies while attacking with advantage, however you are right it probably is 'almost obsene' .

So, play just a touch against type and run with a Half Orc Rogue... See the stacking issue. Basically, it creates the Half Orc, as a race, to be the most dangerous opportunist. If Opportunity attacks still ahd advantage, it would be completely horrifying.

The Gnome was a bit trickier. I was trying to think of what the Gnome race represented in the previous editions, and then fit it into the packet rules. Splitting it up into subraces like the other races would probably be best. One for the trickster, and another for the mechanic.

Yeah, Gnome has been a concept cameleon over the years.

I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
Sign In to post comments