Melee Basic Attack + Charge + Free Action Question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If a feat/power/ability allows a character to take a melee basic attack as a free action, can you charge as that attack (providing you have the conditions to charge normally)?

I haven't been able to find an answer to this and I'm not sure how to search it.

Thanks.
No.

Charge is a standard action.  The feat/power/ability didn't say you can charge as a free action (some do actually) it said you could take a MBA as a free action.

A MBA is not a charge, and a charge is not a MBA.  A charge contains a MBA as part of its function, but that is not the same thing.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
If a feat/power/ability allows a character to take a melee basic attack as a free action, can you charge as that attack (providing you have the conditions to charge normally)?

I haven't been able to find an answer to this and I'm not sure how to search it.

Thanks.

No. Charging is an action all its own. There are actions and powers that allow you to Charge as a free action.
Thanks guys. That's kind of how I was reading it, but I wanted to be sure. Stacking MBA on crit's and being able to charge for each of them would add on a fair amount of damage.
Thanks guys. That's kind of how I was reading it, but I wanted to be sure. Stacking MBA on crit's and being able to charge for each of them would add on a fair amount of damage.

You can't stack free action attacks anyway. You can only make one Free Action attack on each acting character's turn.
Several of the weapons that give you attacks on crits give you them as no-actions (e.g. Rending Axe and Harmony Blade).
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Several of the weapons that give you attacks on crits give you them as no-actions (e.g. Rending Axe and Harmony Blade).

Yes, but you're a terrible DM/Player if that goes on in your games, it's clearly an oversight that they haven't been changed to Free Actions yet.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments