Observation

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
You want to get paid for DMing you need to do one thing, impress the players. Can you? Can you wake them up, get them chatting, and get them involved and engaged in the game? Are they so enthused they want to meet more often? Are they so engaged they come up with their own plot hooks, initiate their own interaction? Do you get them into the game, to the point they will actually lay down cash money to go adventuring in your world?

Has anybody ever volunteered to pay you for a session?

If your reply to all the above is, "No." then maybe you need to work on your DMing. Set up a tip jar your players can contribute and see how much money you get at the end of each session. But don't expect the same old same old, the lackadaisical is going to earn you anything. As they say in show biz, "break a leg." Put forth some real effort and see how it goes.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
I'd feel dirty doing this. I'd rather set up that kind of session but take fun as it's own reward.

But hey, to each their own.
Does food and beverage provisions count? My players ply me with snacks at every session, usually bringing enough to have leftovers that they leave with me.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Does food and beverage provisions count? My players ply me with snacks at every session, usually bringing enough to have leftovers that they leave with me.

They pay for it, or course it counts. You're doing enough right to be fed for it, you're doing enough right.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
I've removed content from this thread. Off topic posts are a violation of the Code of Conduct

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

I could never take cash from a player. But snacks are greatly appreciated. They keep the dragon inside calm... 

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Games I Play:

D&D 4e - D&D 3.0  - Pathfinder - AD&D 2e - Call of Cthulhu - Legend of the Five Rings - 13th Age - World of Darkness - PTU - D&D B/X

I could never take cash from a player. But snacks are greatly appreciated. They keep the dragon inside calm... 

What if they give you no choice? What if refusing a tip would insult them?
I have this discussion with my students each semester.  I tell them that it is inappropriate for them to staple money or checks to their final project.  Paperclips work much better.
You want to get paid for DMing you need to do one thing, impress the players. Can you? Can you wake them up, get them chatting, and get them involved and engaged in the game? Are they so enthused they want to meet more often? Are they so engaged they come up with their own plot hooks, initiate their own interaction? Do you get them into the game, to the point they will actually lay down cash money to go adventuring in your world?

If your reply to all the above is, "No." then maybe you need to work on your DMing. Set up a tip jar your players can contribute and see how much money you get at the end of each session. But don't expect the same old same old, the lackadaisical is going to earn you anything. As they say in show biz, "break a leg." Put forth some real effort and see how it goes.

I tell my players what our group expectations are:
1.  You occasionally bring food/drink for the entire group
2.  You occasionally buy a scenario, dice, mini or whatever for the group.

Can't do it?  Go find another group to free-load off of (not that blunt of course, but it's implied).

[edit:  Yes, I do expect my players to buy stuff for the GROUP..but not necessarily for me]

jh

Gamer Chiropractor - Hafner Chiropractic 305 S. Kipling st,Suite C-2, Lakewood, Co 80226 hafnerchiropractic.com

Well I guess in that case I would. But I would first try to explain that is was my pleasure to run the game and I had just as much fun running it has they did playing.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Games I Play:

D&D 4e - D&D 3.0  - Pathfinder - AD&D 2e - Call of Cthulhu - Legend of the Five Rings - 13th Age - World of Darkness - PTU - D&D B/X

You can't be serious.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

You can't be serious.

I don't think he is.  At least, I hope not.

I would refuse in all circumstances.

I run games because I enjoy running them.  My players play in them because they enjoy playing in them.  I would not ever accept payment.

If a player wanted to buy me some cool battlemats or something, I'd have no problem, and I generally don't end up chipping in for the food very often, but unless it was for something like a convention where I was showcasing a new game (and thus expected to go above and beyond and teach players the new game, market the company's products, etc.) I wouldn't accept payment.   

You're that eager to insult your players.

I'm getting the feeling that it's impossible to hold a serious discussion with someone who turns around and states:

"You're that eager to insult your players."

as an apparently serious statement to someone he has never even met, much less has any actual knowledge about, on the drop of a dime...
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Maybe this is a cultural thing, but in America that would not be perceived as an insult. 

I think that this may be a cultural miscommunication. 
Getting paid to DM? What blasphemy is this?

Man...I can't leave these boards for long at all before some kind of hell breaks loose. <---this is sarcasm, so stop typing, now.

I don't expect my players to provide anything at the table other than their character info. But then again, we also play barebones pen, paper, and dice. We have books that they mostly bought, but I never expected them to buy anything. It's absolutely ludicrous to think you should get paid to DM or something should be provided for you.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
My observation is that the topic starter seems to be making a lot of rediculous topics to get a rise out of people. if this in fact not true I will say this;

Getting paid for DMing is silly. I have only ever DM'd for friends or with people who became friends. Why would I ask friends for money for spending time with them and hanging out?

To make accusations that the DM's aren't doing a good job because their players don't offer to pay them is beyond silly, including accusations that denying money would insult players.

In all honesty I haven't been taking any posts that this individual is making seriously. However in the case that he is completely serious about this; Take off your silly pants sir.
In my FLGS, the players pay £2.50 per LFR session (c. 4hrs) and the DM gets £1/player in store credit.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
If somebody wants to pay you, cash or goods, for your DMing, let them. As long as it's voluntary, and he feels like you've earned it, that's his business.

People do strange things when they're grownups.

Maybe this is a cultural thing, but in America that would not be perceived as an insult. 

I think that this may be a cultural miscommunication. 

Anybody offer you money for your DMing?
You are a strange troll
You are a strange troll

I take it the answer is, "No, nobody has offered me money to DM." Such a wealth of experience you speak from here. Either that, you have no trouble hurting another's feelings.
What is this, I don't even...