Striker Mechanics

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious as to how many mechanics can be stacked on a level 1 character, and which ones stack best.

In my mind Hybrid Executioner stacks the easiest as it doesn't require use of a class power, just that it be a basic attack.

Rangers, Rogues, Warlocks, Avengers, Vampires, Monks, Blackguards,  and Cavaliers are all limited to only stacking on class powers, so aren't available on a hybrid basic attack.

Thoughts?
Not sure why you'd list Cavalier in a list of strikers.

But on a level 1 character the most you could basically get is 3. Two from hybrid, one from an MC one/encounter. Exe|Warlock/Rogue would probably be the strongest on that list.
I'm not sure about that - I think Blackguard|Executioner/Rogue may pip it - using CHA to hit, and getting +CHA to damage rather than +1d6 is probably better at first level - though I'm sure the Warlock pips it quite shortly after.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Only listed Cavalier because they with Holy Smite which can be poached similar to the Blackguards Dread Smite.
How about executioner|avenger/rogue.

That would work at level 1 if you are human. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
How about executioner|avenger/rogue.

That would work at level 1 if you are human. 

Not sure if the reroll is enoug here. You're getting something like 1d10+1d8+2d6+5, 2d20 vs the above Blackguard at 2d8+2d6(with CA)+12 or so with a chance at Dread Smite for another 7, ongoing 5.

The Blackguard would limit the race though as I think you would want to go Human for the MC feat and Cunning Stalker.

If possible, I think something that opened up a race with a Strikery mechanic like the Revenant or ThriKreen would be your best choice.
The genasi is the only race with a real striker mechanic.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
You might be able to top that for a single shot with a bard, as they can do the unlimited multiclass thing.  Let's see:

• +Str/Dex mod from Sorcerous Power

• +1d6 per tier from Student of Malediction

• +Cha mod from Walker of the Dark Path

• +2d6 per tier from Sneak of Shadows

• +1d6 per tier from Warrior of the Wild

• +1 + tier bonus from Arcane Prodigy

• +2 from Berserker's Fury (once per day)

• attack reroll from Disciple of Divine Wrath

• +tier bonus from Cyclone Warrior

• Extra static damage from Monastic Disciple

Granted, getting all those on one attack is pretty action intensive.  Each of the die adders will eat up a minor action and some of these features require either a melee attack or an arcane attack. If you manage it, you're looking at around 10 features (9 if you don't count Cyclone Warrior as a striker feature).

There are some possible tricks for extending at least some of these.  For example, a half-elven bard with Witchbolt as their dilletante power should be able to keep at least some of these going as that power just has you reroll the damage when you sustain it.
Interested in a rambling collection of game ideas? Check out Schemes of the Dancing Chimera.
At level one?
People play at level 1?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
The genasi is the only race with a real striker mechanic.

Not sure which one you're referring to, but Dark Reaping seems as Strikery as anyone else. Especially on a Cha-based striker.
Promise of storm is 1d8 damage/tier. And then shocking flame.
Promise of storm is 1d8 damage/tier. And then shocking flame.

Fair enough, but at level one you get Promise of Storm twice without an action point, which would be roughly 9 damage. Dark Reaping would be 9.5 damage once/encounter.
Except we are talking strikers, so it will be 3 times, or 4 times if you are a ranger.
The more relevant point is that PoS is on-demand while Dark Reaping is triggered.
People play at level 1?

People die at level 1 ...

5E mini- SRD available now in HTML here:  http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

At level one?

Oops, missed that bit.  Then I'd say you're capped out at roughly 3 features as per the excutioner|avenger/rogue combo or a human striker with 2 damge boosting feat (ex. warlock with Arcane Prodigy and Sorcerous Power).

If you're willing to count racial powers as striker features, add one more to that.  If you count appropriate themes, add one more.  So at best perhaps 5 with a broad definition of striker features.
Interested in a rambling collection of game ideas? Check out Schemes of the Dancing Chimera.
the avenger | exe/rogue would be the best imo at level 1.  double rolls alone makes it very tasty.  However you would need to go human to grab power of skill and MC rogue at level 1 to make it all work properly.  oh and that leaves you in cloth armor with probably an average of 15 on your defenses, GL getting to level 2 ;)
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Not sure if the reroll is enoug here. You're getting something like 1d10+1d8+2d6+5, 2d20 vs the above Blackguard at 2d8+2d6(with CA)+12 or so with a chance at Dread Smite for another 7, ongoing 5.

For one thing, the Blackguard does ZERO when he misses.  I'm not sure you're appreciating the benefits of rolling twice.  Secondly, Dread Smite is not a striker feature, it's an encounter power.
Hmm...how do scouts apply to this?
How do we feel about Beserker's Fury, as an MC feat it seems like it could be easy to stack, even if just for an encounter, +1d8 on an MBA? Pretty easy to stack with the Exe|Lock!
Another thought: Executioner|Sorcerer/Rogue.  The hybrid Executioner damage feature doesn't require a weapon attack, just a basic attack.  So you can do it with Acid Orb.  Better action economy and flexible targeting.
Pretty sure it requires a weapon attack
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Pretty sure it requires a weapon attack

The wording from the Compendium at least is "only when using the required weapons with basic attacks, assassin powers, and assassin paragon path powers." 
That's what the Hybrid entry says, but the executioner's Attack Finesse class feature reads "once per turn you can deal 1d8 extra damage with a weapon attack using a one-handed weapon, a garrote, a blowgun, or a shortbow." The hybrid version further restricts it, it doesn't replace the initial restriction.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Yea, I can't see how to stack more than three, so I guess the question is which are the best three:

Hybrid Exe seems the best, but it means you can't use a striker that doesn't have a weapon BA so you lose Rogue/Monk/Ranger/Sorc/Avengers/Barbarians.

And of course you can't hybrid Scouts, Slayers or Beserkers(I know they're not technically a Striker).

Exe|Lock\Beserker Human (with Mindbite scorn) let's me go 3d8+2d6+5 on an MBA.
Yea, I can't see how to stack more than three, so I guess the question is which are the best three:

Hybrid Exe seems the best, but it means you can't use a striker that doesn't have a weapon BA so you lose Rogue/Monk/Ranger/Sorc/Avengers/Barbarians.

And of course you can't hybrid Scouts, Slayers or Beserkers(I know they're not technically a Striker).

Human Scout/Assassin Twice has:
1d10+1d6+1d8+1d6+18 = 35

Probably worth it to lose a point of damage to make the initial attack with a longsword rather than a battleaxe.

1d10+1d6+1d8+1d6+18 = 35

Probably worth it to lose a point of damage to make the initial attack with a longsword rather than a battleaxe.

But that Assassin 1d8 is only for one attack an encounter, with Beserker's Fury you get it for every basic attack you make. So if I double the Barbarian MC, over 5 attacks I get 5d8+10, vs Assassin where I get 1d8+2d6. And with the Scout/Barb you could got Broadsword\Handaxe for 1d10 mbas.

1d10+1d6+1d8+1d6+18 = 35

But that Assassin 1d8 is only for one attack an encounter, with Beserker's Fury you get it for every basic attack you make. So if I double the Barbarian MC, over 5 attacks I get 5d8+10, vs Assassin where I get 1d8+2d6. And with the Scout/Barb you could got Broadsword\Handaxe for 1d10 mbas.

1d10+1d6+18 is still the base for the human Scout - plus it works once every encounter instead of once per day. It depends on what your specific goals are.

1d10+1d6+1d8+1d6+18 = 35

1d10+1d6+18 is still the base for the human Scout - plus it works once every encounter instead of once per day. It depends on what your specific goals are.

I think that's slightly disingeuous because it's two separate attacks, but aside from that I concur.

I almost feel like the Scout + 1 extra mechanic is more dangerous than stacking three onto someone else.
Another thought: Executioner|Sorcerer/Rogue.  The hybrid Executioner damage feature doesn't require a weapon attack, just a basic attack.  So you can do it with Acid Orb.  Better action economy and flexible targeting.

Would work fine on ensorcelled blade wouldn't it, or is the wording wrong for it?  I don't remember atm.

No - Ensorcelled blade is in place of a melee basic attack, not as one, so Exe feature wouldn't work.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
AH ok, couldnt remember the exact wording.
Sign In to post comments