Magic Thoughts

I had a few thoughts on the magic system and am looking for feed back from fellow testers.

1) Magic is the way for casters to use the arcane forces of the world.  First part of this question is is it internal energy based or component based?  If it is internal energy based a caster should be able to use any spells he know how to cast and has energy to cast (see 2).  If it is component based they should be able to use any spells that they have the materials for which make it a large money / time sink to get spell components.  In either case I dont understand how a caster can know a list of spells but have to prepare said spells the day before.

2) go to a primary stat + level based energy system where a caster can use any spell that they know how to cast so long as they have the energy for it.  Each spell would have an energy cost and once the caster was out of energy they would need to have an extended rest to replenish the energy or a short rest to replenish a portion of the energy.  as a possible feat or some other selectable power where you could sacrifice health for more energy.

Thoughts?

The developers already have plans for a spell point wizard, tentatively called the 'sorcerer'. It appeared in the second playtest packet, but got pulled due to flavor issues. The devs haven't said when it will come back, but spell point wizards are virtually guaranteed.

Component based casting has not been discussed yet. I would call it the 'alchemist' and welcome it to the table. Then I would ponder how to make the relative strength of the class not vary wildly depending on how much loot the campaign hands out.

from the understanding I have the basic difference between a wizard and a sorcerer is that a Wizard studis and learns how to control the arcane, and a sorcer just instictivly does it.  I think its great that they are going more of that route with the sorcerer, but I think it should be the wizard too.  

Maybe a good distinction would be that a wizard gets bonuses to his spells but is required to have verbal and/or somatic components to their spells where a sorcerer doesnt at the cost of weaker effects.  

Another way that a wizard could be boosted instead is that they would be able to do their spells as rituals where as a sorcerer would not be able to do that?
The daily casting system works, more or less. There's no reason to get rid of it.
It does work, but it feels too static.  It doesnt make sense to me.  I think it could be made better.
That's your play style. You favor a point-cast system, other people favor a daily bag of tricks. I assure you, there is a team of designers working madly to bring your play style to the game.

(Cut to a scene of Trevor Kidd picking his nose while Mike Mearls gargles butter in the background.)
It does work, but it feels too static.  It doesnt make sense to me.  I think it could be made better.

I agree it is a little odd. The explanation for the DnD Vancian casting is that wizards must study and memorize complex formulas to cast magic. Their "spell slots" are supposed to represent the space they have in their brain for those formula... kind of like partioning their mind with various "bullets" primed and ready to fire, but they need to load their mind first.

I also think the spell point system could end up working better, and makes more sense to me as a magical system in the first place. If I was writing the world Sorcerer's would be the "true" magic-users do to their direct connection to the magic and wizards would be people who studied how to reproduce sorcerer's spells without that connection. Of course, some people would burn me at the stake for that stance and they prefer the system of vancian casting. As long as I get my awesome sorcerer I don't care and I can respect their choice to go a different route. After all, Vancian wizarda have a long tradition in DnD
Neither sorcerers nor wizards are the "true" magic users. The "true" system of magic is for Chuck Norris to punch someone so hard that he tears a hole in time and punches everyone in their entire family line back to Adam. All magic is a poor imitation of what Chuck Norris does naturally.
That's your play style. You favor a point-cast system, other people favor a daily bag of tricks. I assure you, there is a team of designers working madly to bring your play style to the game.

(Cut to a scene of Trevor Kidd picking his nose while Mike Mearls gargles butter in the background.)

+1 for hilarity.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls