newbie question

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
can remove or delate once answered. not sure if newbie questions can be asked in general chat. but excuse my firs post pls :D

beginning of my own turn when i play a creature card . can my oppenent use a instant witch reads : counter target spell and stop me from putting that card it to play? if yes does it go to graveyard?

ty for ur time. 
"If responding to spells on the stack is sure to result in victory, then you must respond!"

Jon Finkel said that! And I think he knows a little more about card interactions than you do, pal. Because he invented them! And then he perfect it so that no living man could best him in cardboard duels. Then he used his prize money to buy four of every card in Magic. Then he put them into a deck. And then he counted each and every single one.  And that's why today, when a card interacts with something on the stack, it's called a counterspell!

Unless it's a Mindbreak Trap!

Serious answer: Yes, countering a spell means responding to it as it's being played and making it go to the graveyard, rather than into play. And all cards except lands are spells when being played. That's the overly simplified version, at least.
"If responding to spells on the stack is sure to result in victory, then you must respond!"

Jon Finkel said that! And I think he knows a little more about card interactions than you do, pal. Because he invented them! And then he perfect it so that no living man could best him in cardboard duels. Then he used his prize money to buy four of every card in Magic. Then he put them into a deck. And then he counted each and every single one.  And that's why today, when a card interacts with something on the stack, it's called a counterspell!

Serious answer: Yes, countering a spell means responding to it as it's being played and making it go to the graveyard, rather than into play. And all cards except lands are spells when being played. That's the overly simplified version, at least.

thanx alot

Time Stop!
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
beginning of my own turn when i play a creature card . can my oppenent use a instant witch reads : counter target spell and stop me from putting that card it to play? if yes does it go to graveyard?

ty for ur time. 

This indicates for me, that you need to learn about the turn structure. You normally can cast creature cards in your precombat main phase at the earliest. Which is long after your turn begins.

The turn structure:

Beginning phase
   Untap
   Upkeep
   Draw
Precombat main phase
Combat phase
   Beginning of combat
   Declare attackers
   Declare blockers
   (First strike combat damage)
   Combat damage
   End of combat
Postcombat main phase
End of turn
   End step
   Cleanup

All players get priority to do things in all of those phases and steps except untap and usually cleanup. So your oppnent could cast Silence during your upkeep or draw step and you could cast a creature only if you do so in response to his spell, in which case the creature card needs flash or you would need to go through some other shennanigans to cast the creature "as an instant".
Moving to the New Player Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Moving to the New Player Forum.

ey ey slow down :D i just bought a beginners core set and another 100 2. hand cards mostly black in character (common not swamp black ) :D

lemme ask bit more nb questions.
- after reading ur post i recognised im talking about pre-combat phaze.
the question is actually ; while being played from the hand to the deck is a creature card a spell? so that it can be countered with blue cansel spell so that the creature has to go to the graveyard.

another one : when you soulbond 2 creatures do you add their stats to make 1 creature?

like 1/1 creature soulbound with another 1/1 acts as 2/2 in combat? 
Any card you play, that isn't a land, is cast as a spell and is put on the Stack. (Activated and triggered abilities are not spells, but they also go onto the Stack). While it is a spell on the stack, it can be countered by cards like Cancel.

Soulbond just pairs creatures, it doesn't do anything else. They are still individual creatures with their own characteristics that exist totally independent of each other. The pair just gets a benefit from the soulbonder for being paired.
Any card you play, that isn't a land, is cast as a spell and is put on the Stack. (Activated and triggered abilities are not spells, but they also go onto the Stack). While it is a spell on the stack, it can be countered by cards like Cancel.

Soulbond just pairs creatures, it doesn't do anything else. They are still individual creatures with their own characteristics that exist totally independent of each other. The pair just gets a benefit from the soulbonder for being paired.

thanx .
i guess ill keep on using this topic for more questions later.
i look em up on wiki and the gatherer first ofcourse.
tnx to all before hand for the time  :D

Don't. Instead ask your questions in the Rules Q&A forum above. You'll get your correct answers there within minutes in as much detail as you want. It's the best source you can find when asking about how a card works, if and how cards interact, or anything else related to the rules.
Don't. Instead ask your rules related questions in the rules Q&A forum above. You'll get your answers there within a few minutes in as much detail as you want. It's the best source there is to get the answers to your questions.