The Mystery of Coral Castle

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
How did one guy lift 200 ton stones and build a castle out of them by himself? Keep in mind a whole work crew with a giant crane would have problems doing this.

Coral Castle
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
"From Atlantis rising"? Sounds like a credible magasine.

Research it yourself. A single guy moved 200 ton blocks that would be difficult with a full sized crane today. He did it himself alone at night with a tiny 3 wooden pole home made crane... Explain that!Smile

Here's Wikipedia on it
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
No, I'm serious. How did they do this stuff? Do you think the guy had super strength? Did he figure out anti-gravity? Did he use some kind of sound or vibration tech?
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
"From Atlantis rising"? Sounds like a credible magasine.

Research it yourself. A single guy moved 200 ton blocks that would be difficult with a full sized crane today. He did it himself alone at night with a tiny 3 wooden pole home made crane... Explain that!Smile

Here's Wikipedia on it

Coral Castle is noted for legends surrounding its creation that claim it was built single-handedly by Leedskalnin

Yeah, in other parts it talks about him doing himself as if its fact. So contradictory info...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
How did one guy lift 200 ton stones and build a castle out of them by himself? Keep in mind a whole work crew with a giant crane would have problems doing this.

Coral Castle

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine

Coral Castle

So that's your official answer?

I was thinking maybe the guy figured out a new technology or something...Smile

And you people call me a conspiracy theorist...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

Coral Castle

So that's your official answer?

I was thinking maybe the guy figured out a new technology or something...

Yes... that's my official answer as an... official.
If he did discover new tech, why didn't he make billions off it?
Why didn't he share it?

Yes.
You are a conspiracy theorist.
But you are very entertaining.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
Yes, Coral Castle is a mystery. It has nothing to do with getting simple minded tourists to pay to walk around in the hot sun.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
No, I'm serious. How did they do this stuff? Do you think the guy had super strength? Did he figure out anti-gravity? Did he use some kind of sound or vibration tech?

He hired people to do it.

Yup.
He hired aliens.

He hired people to do it.

He hired people to do it? You know the man wasn't rich right and there would have been stories of workers if he did that. He would have needed hundreds of workers...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Here's my official answer. Your unofficial sources are full of ****.

www.livescience.com/680-mysterious-coral...
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Here's my official answer. Your unofficial sources are full of ****.

www.livescience.com/680-mysterious-coral...

They aren't full anything, they have as many questions as anyone.

I don't think anyone helped him, there would have been rumors or records. Now the guy that uses leverage is plausible. Its possible that he used something similar. If he balanced equally weighted stones then they would have moved very easily...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

I don't think anyone helped him,

Here we go. You start off wanting to believe this. 

there would have been rumors or records.

Nope, not nessarely.

Now the guy that uses leverage is plausible. Its possible that he used something similar. If he balanced equally weighted stones then they would have moved very easily...

Magic doesn't exist, so he had to use the same methods other humans use to build structures. 

Only only secret with this thing is why people like to believe lies.  

I don't WANT to believe anything, I'm simply fascinated with mysteries. There is a difference...Smile

I'm just wondering why we don't use this same technology to build buildings today? I mean wouldn't it increase the efficiency of current modern building methods?
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
 Magic doesn't exist, so he had to use the same methods other humans use to build structures. 

You dont believe in magic? *shoots fireball at HC*

no but seriously, I guess it depends on how you define magic. There are lots of things in this universe that defy logic and scientific explanation.

take the bumble bee, its aerodymacially impossible for it to fly, so how does it? Its Magic!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
No, just aerodynamically difficult. Nothing "impossible" about it. Bees are just very, very strong for their size.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
No, just aerodynamically difficult. Nothing "impossible" about it. Bees are just very, very strong for their size.

My sources tell me that its impossible, of course my source is 'Ripley's Believe it Or Not' some old show from the 80s, so yeah.

But ok, check this out, theres this dude in Tibet that can bend spoons with his mind! Now thats magic! 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
But ok, check this out, theres this dude in Tibet that can bend spoons with his mind! Now thats magic! 

Pfft... Keanu Reeves did it in the Matrix. I'm not impressed.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

I'm just wondering why we don't use this same technology to build buildings today? I mean wouldn't it increase the efficiency of current modern building methods?

Exactly.
Because there was NO super - technology used... at all.
I cannot believe how gullible you are.
I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale... real cheap... want to buy it?
take the bumble bee, its aerodymacially impossible for it to fly, so how does it? Its Magic!

The guy that claimed it was drunk while researching that. He corrected himself the next day.

As for the coral castle (and by extension Pyramids):
I don't WANT to believe anything, I'm simply fascinated with mysteries. There is a difference...

Yes you do. You want to believe it just like you want to believe in all these government conspiracies. And yeah you are fascinated by mysteries, which makes you find ones where none exist.

You want to believe that you are the one smart enough to figure out all these cover-ups. You want to believe you are just special and that's why you are seeing things that no one else sees. You want to believe the world is messed up because of some evil mastermind manipulating everything and not because the world is just filled with messed up people.

Exactly.
Because there was NO super - technology used... at all.
I cannot believe how gullible you are.
I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale... real cheap... want to buy it?

Um, did you check out his link? Watch the videos, the guy makes a replica of stone hinge by hand with nothing but wooden tools. If we used that kind of technology today, we could increase the efficiency of building and lower the labor costs...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
I don't WANT to believe anything, I'm simply fascinated with mysteries. There is a difference...

Yes you do. You want to believe it just like you want to believe in all these government conspiracies. And yeah you are fascinated by mysteries, which makes you find ones where none exist.

You want to believe that you are the one smart enough to figure out all these cover-ups. You want to believe you are just special and that's why you are seeing things that no one else sees. You want to believe the world is messed up because of some evil mastermind manipulating everything and not because the world is just filled with messed up people.

Nope, wrong again. I only believe things that are backed up by facts. I entertain theories and investigate them. When I find a flaw in the theory I dump it and examine another. You know the scientific process.

Instead of ridiculing me, you should probably try to set me right with facts...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
[

Instead of ridiculing me, you should probably try to set me right with facts...

*sigh*
Loki...
we've been through all this before.
You present your "facts", we present our "facts"... blah, blah, MTblah, Music Teleblah.
You don't accept other "facts".
That's why most get frustrated with you.

But you're entertaining as hell!
You want to believe the world is messed up because of some evil mastermind manipulating everything and not because the world is just filled with messed up people.

Except... I am manipulating everything.
(The world is still filled with messed up people, though.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

You want to believe the world is messed up because of some evil mastermind manipulating everything and not because the world is just filled with messed up people.

Actually, they're both true. The latter came first, though, and is now a major part of phases one through twenty-three. And technically, I don't need to manipulate much.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
Whatever dude, I still say my "aquaman" explanation is way better than anything you or anybody else came up with.

Whatever dude, I still say my "aquaman" explanation is way better than anything you or anybody else came up with. 

Agreed. "Aquaman helped build Coral Castle" is a much better explanation.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Agreed. "Aquaman helped build Coral Castle" is a much better explanation.

Thank you, Im glad someone around here takes me seriously.
Ah, so Aqua man is a better explanation than balancing and counterbalancing stone and using wooden tools? Sure thing and you guys call me a conspiracy theorist. What do you call them? Insane?Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Ah, so Aqua man is a better explanation

Yes.
That sounds about right.
And it's cool too!
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct, as is discussion of real world religion.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are free to disagree with one another as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 
Ah, so Aqua man is a better explanation

Yes.
That sounds about right.
And it's cool too!

It's not just cool, it's...
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct, as is discussion of real world religion.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are free to disagree with one another as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 

Well gee thanx, now my aquaman comment makes no sense. Now everyone is going to think that IM the crazy one. 
Um, did you check out his link? Watch the videos, the guy makes a replica of stone hinge by hand with nothing but wooden tools. If we used that kind of technology today, we could increase the efficiency of building and lower the labor costs...

Um...how is that efficient? You can farm the land with a horse and a blow but that doesn't make it more efficient. I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Nope, wrong again. I only believe things that are backed up by facts. I entertain theories and investigate them. When I find a flaw in the theory I dump it and examine another. You know the scientific process.

Dude, you believe things that are backed up by nothing other than...well your beliefs. OMG DHS has ammo! It must means they are going to round political dissidents up into FEMA camps run by the military! You only provide the barest skeleton of facts, and everything that follows is mere conjecture but you fail to differentiate between the two.

Furthermore, when others poke holes in your theories, you ignore the facts presented, modify your theory to something that makes even less sense, or counter them with your own unique brand of facts, which tend to be not facts at all.

And you also seem to believe that anything on the internet that supports your beliefs must be true, no matter what source it comes from.

Instead of ridiculing me, you should probably try to set me right with facts...

Yeah, been there and done that. It would help if you pulled your fingers out of your ears.

Of which, since you want me to counter your arguments with facts, how about responding to that article I linked?
I remember hearing about this yeeeears ago.

IIRC, the guy said he'd never share his technique because "the world isn't ready".

Edit: He also claimed to know how the Egyptians built the pyramids and said the technique was the same used to build those, I think. Been a long time since I heard the story.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
Well, ramps, levers, and laborers are pretty basic building techniques, so I wouldn't be surprised if he figured out a method similar to what the Egyptians used for their many edifices.
Summoning aliens?

And treating them to une pudding a l'arsenic.
Summoning aliens?

No, summoning extradimensional entities and binding them to perform a task. Obviously. Aliens require a really good subspace ansible, not a summoning ritual.
Sign In to post comments