What other systems do you like to convert scenarios from to push D&D to its limits?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've found that I enjoy taking scenarios from other fantasy systems and putting D&D characters through them.  I'm not converting rules straight up mind you, but instead taking the themes and skill challenges and seeing how well the D&D system handles them.

I've done everything from Indiana Jones (TSR rpg), to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (Cthuluesque mysteries).  We did Conan for a while with the 3.0 edition (before the mongoose version came out), and that took a bit of tweaking to reduce the dependence on magic and magic items.

What experiences have you all had with D&D in doing this?  I'd like to get some new ideas and recommendations.

Thanks,

jh

Gamer Chiropractor - Hafner Chiropractic 305 S. Kipling st,Suite C-2, Lakewood, Co 80226 hafnerchiropractic.com

I've stolen scenarios / modules / environment from just about every setting possible. But perhaps the most fun we had with this cross-pollination was when the players decided to treat their PCs as superheroes, complete with secret identities and costumes. Rather than have the world be filled with magic and people with levels in player classes, the PCs were freaks of nature. We did this for a summer and had a blast with it. I ended up taking the Champions "Destroyer" series and heavily modifying it to occur in a medievalesque setting.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.