Sideboard advice for Mono Red Aggro

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Right now I have:
2x Pithing needle for planeswalkers
2x Tormod's Crypt for graveyard hate
4x Traitorous Blood to take control of big hefties
4x Thunderbolt for Restoration Angel/Geist's Angel

I'm stuck on the last 3 spots.  My deck has 22 lands and works great...just need sideboard advice. 
you shouldn't care about PWs

i think archwing dragon is a good call against the format's sorcery speed removal 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Right now I have:
2x Pithing needle for planeswalkers
2x Tormod's Crypt for graveyard hate
4x Traitorous Blood to take control of big hefties
4x Thunderbolt for Restoration Angel/Geist's Angel

I'm stuck on the last 3 spots.  My deck has 22 lands and works great...just need sideboard advice. 

To provide you with good feedback we need to see your Main deck, that way we can see what weaknesses your deck may have and how matchs up will affect your sideboard
4 Recklass Waif are solid for SB cards VS Control.  Board out your weakest 1-drop and bring her in and you usually can speed up a turn.

I like Mizium Mortarss over Thunderbolt, as it hits more guys.

Traitorous Blood should probably cap out at 3, if you run any more than that you usually start boarding out better cards to make room for the 4th.

But, yes, we kind of need to see your Main Deck to really think about your Sideboard.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.

I like Mizium Mortarss over Thunderbolt, as it hits more guys.

probably better to fight flash with an instant

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

And then you run into some guy who drops a Smiter.  Loose a guy an an Angel?  Or 2-for-1 yourself on other 4 thoughness-non-flying guys.

Thunderbolt is great VS Restoration Angel.  Mortars, not as tech, but if you have enough removal, and are paying attention, you can usually see when one might show up.  I usually try to bait them to flash in the Angel pre-combat (because they want to save their dude from a Pillar) so I can fire a Mortar at the Angel before my attack.  If they don't take the bait then I usually crash head long into their flashed Angel and clean it up post combat.

Not ideal, but mono-Red can't just not attack because they have 4 mana up and could very well be ready to flash in a 3/4 flyer.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
My main deck is this:

4 Ash Zealot
4 Rakdos Shred Freak
4 Hellrider
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
3 Pyrheart Wolf
2 Stonewright

4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
1 Flames of the Firebrand
4 Brimstone Volley

22 Mountain

The MD has worked really well.  I have a horrible time with Blue/White/Green decks.  I've done pretty well against others.  On the topic of Smiter, I usually Brimstone Volley him for 5 after chump blocking or something.

I may switch FotF for 1 Traitorous Blood maindeck and sideboard 2 more. 
Flames of the Firebrand is very useful against tokens and swarmy decks full of small creatures like UW Humans.  Definitely should have a place in the sideboard.

Also, are Tormod's Crypt and Pithing Needle good ideas?  I've usually found that the RDW solution to anything that's not a creature is to simply kill your opponent.  It's worked well so far.
Good point about Flames...I'll definitely put some more in my sideboard.  I'll also put 2 Archwing Dragons.

So:
2 Archwing Dragon
3 FotF (1 main)
4 Thunderbolt
3 Traitorous Blood 
3 Annihilating Fire 

That's what I'm thinking right now. 
You should probably consider maindecking a couple hellion crucibles. They are pretty good against control and don't really screw up your manabase. I also like a couple thundermaw hellkite and/or zealous conscripts.
www.roguedeckbuilder.com (coming soon) Facebook www.youtube.com/roguedeckbuilder
Cremate > Tormod's Crypt 
I'm liking Reverberate right now.

I've been boarding them in against Bant which is generally problematic.  You just copy Revelation and win.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Personally, I like to keep [C]Traitorous Blood[/C] as a 3x MB. I am running RDW, so there are a few more applications. Keep it close, regardless.

While [C]Tormod's Crypt[/C] may seem good, consider [C]Grafdigger's Cage[/C] for spell and graveyard hate. Not erribly expensive cards, and are farily usefuly against graveyard decks.

Edit: remember to close your code and which format you're giving suggestions for, kids. 
Personally, I like to keep [C]Traitorous Blood[/C] as a 3x MB. I am running RDW, so there are a few more applications. Keep it close, regardless.

While [C]Tormod's Crypt[C] may seem good, consider [C]Ratchet Bomb[/C], [C]Grafdigger's Cage[/C] for spell and graveyard hate. They aren't terribly expensive cards, and are farily usefuly against graveyard decks. Use [C]Relic of Progenitus[/C] if you're on a budget.

Few suggestions. Hope they help. 

um, some of these cards are no longer standard legal (see ratchet bomb and relic of progenitus)

Photobucket

You are correct, sir. For some reason, I was thinking of a Modern build. I feel smart, now.
Flames of the Firebrand is very useful against tokens and swarmy decks full of small creatures like UW Humans.  Definitely should have a place in the sideboard.

Also, are Tormod's Crypt and Pithing Needle good ideas?  I've usually found that the RDW solution to anything that's not a creature is to simply kill your opponent.  It's worked well so far.

Depends on your meta I guess. My local meta has a guy who runs a fog deck with Psychic Spiral as the win con. Theres not much Mono red can do against 15+ fog spells, tons of card draws, life gain for Sphinxes revelation, and then nevermoring Hellriders.

Since his deck solely won off a psychic spiral mill, I added in tormods to break his wincon (and since I tend to play him every week, it's useful).
Sign In to post comments