11/16/2012 LD: "Spell Check"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Damn, another set, another awesome idea of a land destruction spell dismissed without being given a single chance.

C'mon, in what world is it fair to cast Cyclonic Rift at end of turn and alpha swing in spite of whatever the opponent had on board while at the same time it is terribly unfun to waste a turn destroying his manabase without even affecting the rest of his permanents?

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
My guess about their take on mass LD versus Cyclonic Rift effects:

- It's a lot harder to come back from a destroyed mana base.
- Being able to have your resources available means you have the chance* for an out for what's coming your way (because you can theoretically cast something in your hand that's useful).  When you don't have those resources, because they were blown up, that goes out the window.
- Not being able to do anything isn't "fun".  When I say not do anything, I mean literally can't, because you don't have the resources/land/mana.

* Deck dependant, of course.

I don't recall boom//bust ripping up the tournament scene. They could (putting to one side the decision to have overload not be symmetrical) have made the following and I suspect would not have spoiled the environment...

Seismic Experiment -
Sorcery
Destroy target land.
Overload

Yeah, but the marginal benefit of a 'destroy all lands' spell would not have been worth having one exception to the "all of mine" or "All of theirs" thing on Overload.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I love these articles. Seriously, I would be fine with one week of nothing but Multiverse entries and stories about what cards used to be like.
I love these articles. Seriously, I would be fine with one week of nothing but Multiverse entries and stories about what cards used to be like.

Heh, yeah, I'd be so up for that.

Failing that, more articles like this would be great.
Sign In to post comments