Golgari/Dredge Deck

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
My friends got me completely addicted to MtG, and after a month of inner strife I finally gave in and got started on building my own deck. I bought the Izzet versus Golgari dualdeck together with a friend, and then edited the Golgari a bit with the help of my friends.

This is what I got right now: [UPDATED]

1 Grisly Salvage
2 Golgari Grave-Troll
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Dakmor Salvage
1 Life from the Loam
2 Eternal Witness
1 Stinkweed Imp
1 Dreg Mangler
4 Golgari Rot Farm
2 Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
7 Forest
5 Swamp
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Barren Moor
2 Terror
1 Llanowar Elves
3 Golgari Signet
2 Putrefy
2 Korozda Guildmage
3 Shambling Shell
2 Elves of Deep Shadow
2 Recollect
3 Moldervine Cloak
1 Vigor Mortis
1 Putrid Leech
1 Grave-Shell Scarab
3 Deathgreeter
1 Ghoul's Feast
1 Boneyard Wurm
1 Mortivore
1 Golgari Brownscale

Obviously it's still very messy with way too many singles, but perhaps you guys have some advice how to make it better without going over my budget (20 bucks per month as I'm only a poor student)

Some cards I was thinking of to get:

4 Slitherhead
3 Grisly Salvage
1 Golgari Grave-Troll
1 Shambling Shell

Do you guys agree on these, or not? If yes, what cards should I drop for them? And what other cards would you recommend that aren't too expensive?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Posssible decklist I need comments on:

2 Barren Moor
2 Dakmor Salvage
4 Forest
4 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
6 Swamp
2 Tranquil Thicket
2 Doomgape
2 Dreg Mangler
3 Eternal Witness
3 Golgari Grave-Troll
2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
2 Stinkweed Imp
2 Life // Death
2 Life from the Loam
4 Putrefy
1 Avatar of Woe
2 Putrid Imp
3 Animate Dead
1 Cabal Therapy
2 Dread Return
1 Entomb
1 Reanimate
4 Slitherhead
2 Bridge from Below 
I will alway suggest putting multiples of cards in (if you can afford to). Yes to the Slitherhead, look into a Corpsejack Menace. Grisly Salvage can help, if you are willing to let some cards go. Also Jarad's Orders to search for Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and throw a Slitherhead. I would also suggest Golgari Guildgate because it should help with mana.  These few cards are pretty inexpensive, so you should not have a problem. If money was not an issue I would suggest Abrupt Decay, Deathrite Shaman, and Lotleth Troll, so maybe keep an eye out for them, they work really well in my husband's deck hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
even though life from the loam and greater mossdog have dredge I don't think they fit the decklist very well.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Ok, so do you want to build a Dredge deck, or a gravepower deck with dredge in it? If dredge, then I could ramble on and on about how to build it for pages!! But a gravepower deck, I could give some advice also.

You need to run 4xDreg Mangler. It is awesome early game with a late game bonus!! Dakmor Salvage is also good for dredging.
Dredge and scavenge are two mechanics that work well together- you can dredge to get cards back, and doing so puts scavenge cards into your graveyard. Absolutely go with four Slitherheads. They're a free +1/+1 from your graveyard onto any creature. That said, you need to focus on cutting the less efficient cards and going with multiples of the better cards. And, as was mentioned above, a corpsejack menace will be very effective, especially if you dip into Return to Ravnica and use scavenge cards.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I will alway suggest putting multiples of cards in (if you can afford to). Yes to the Slitherhead, look into a Corpsejack Menace. Grisly Salvage can help, if you are willing to let some cards go. Also Jarad's Orders to search for Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and throw a Slitherhead. I would also suggest Golgari Guildgate because it should help with mana.  These few cards are pretty inexpensive, so you should not have a problem. If money was not an issue I would suggest Abrupt Decay, Deathrite Shaman, and Lotleth Troll, so maybe keep an eye out for them, they work really well in my husband's deck hope this helps

Thanks for the reply! I'll get some Slitherheads since they're good and cheap one-drops, which I lack now, and probably some Grisly Salvages as they fuel my graveyard. I'm not sure about Corpsejack Menace, seeing as I can't play him from graveyard and I don't run that many Scavenge creatures: I'll see how those work and then get a corpsejack when I start running more scavengers. I'm not sure if I should run Golgari Rotfarm or Guildgate, seeing as both have their ups and downs but running both would be a bit overkill.

I'd love to run some Deathrite Shamans and Lotleth Trolls, but I'm afraid they're too expensive for me Maybe I'll get one or two Lotleth Trolls later on.
even though life from the loam and greater mossdog have dredge I don't think they fit the decklist very well.

I'm trying to get some replacement for mossdog, but I think I'll keep life from the loam. I almost always have some lands in my graveyard so it's pretty much a land search whenever I want one.
Ok, so do you want to build a Dredge deck, or a gravepower deck with dredge in it? If dredge, then I could ramble on and on about how to build it for pages!! But a gravepower deck, I could give some advice also.

You need to run 4xDreg Mangler. It is awesome early game with a late game bonus!! Dakmor Salvage is also good for dredging.

I really like the idea of Dredge, and want to focus mostly on stuff that I can keep playing from my graveyard (essentially making Dredge a search engine). If you have advice on Dredge decks, I'd be very grateful if you'd post it here (or redirect me to a guide). I'm gonna try to get some Dreg Manglers and Dakmor Salvages.
Dredge and scavenge are two mechanics that work well together- you can dredge to get cards back, and doing so puts scavenge cards into your graveyard. Absolutely go with four Slitherheads. They're a free +1/+1 from your graveyard onto any creature. That said, you need to focus on cutting the less efficient cards and going with multiples of the better cards. And, as was mentioned above, a corpsejack menace will be very effective, especially if you dip into Return to Ravnica and use scavenge cards.

As I said to Candywife20 I'll definitely get some Slitherheads since they are good 1-drops, but I'm not sure about Corpsejack Menace seeing as I can't play him from graveyard, which is where I'll get most my cards from.

I'm trying to get some replacement for mossdog, but I think I'll keep life from the loam. I almost always have some lands in my graveyard so it's pretty much a land search whenever I want one.

Almost anything works better than greater mossdog but if you're going to replace it with a 4CMC creature then deadbridge goliath is a good option. However, I would consider more elves of deep shadow, or call of the herd

As far as life from the loam I don't mind it as much if you have other ways to get lands in the graveyard besides dredge which your deck doesn't start dredging until turn 4 or later (most of the time) from the looks of it. Here are some options for lands which can make life from the loam better terramorphic expanse, verdant catacombs and evolving wilds

In addition you could improve your ability to start dredging sooner in the game by playing spells like mulch or grisly salvage which will also make life from the loam more valuable sooner in the game.

A warning about golgari thug - if you cast him on turn 2 and have no other creatures in the graveyard and your opponent destroys it then you have to target it which puts it back on top of the library. It's a terrible situation to be in as most of the time you don't want to draw a golgari thug turn 3 especially if you started out with 2 lands on the play and are looking for that third land but there are other situations as well. I highly recommend removing golgari thug (or at least never playing it before you have other options in the graveyard).

dread return is a staple in many dredge decklists.
Thanks for the reply, I must say I'm impressed: You managed to spot my deck's key issues simply by looking at it, while it took me ten games with it to do so!

I traded some cards with my friends and have changed my deck a bit (see the original post). I got another Eternal witness, some Recollect, more Dredgers and a Grisly Salvage, of which I'll definitely get some more. I'm also trying out Deathgreeter as one-drops, but I'm not sure about those yet. I removed my Greater Mossdog, Golgari Thug and Reassembling Skeleton as they didn't do much good.

My friend also pointed me to this Premium Graveborn deck, which he saw lying in a comic book store. It has a lot of cards that would work great with this deck, I think. I was also thinking of simply getting another Izzet versus Golgari dualdeck (split up with a friend again), as that would mean a whole lot of great cards for only ten bucks

A friend also gave me a Grave-Shell Scarab, Dark Ritual and a playset of Raise Dead, but I'm not sure if those would fit in my deck well

I'll get some Terramorphic Expanses and/or Evolving Wilds, but I fear that Verdant Catacombs is too expensive for me right now (cheapest I can find is 10 bucks). I'll also look into the other cards oyu suggested
This isnt directly related to your deck, but your picture cracks me up.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
@Incarnation

How to build and play dredge forum HERE 
@Incarnation

How to build and play dredge forum HERE 

Nice guide, although it makes me a bit depressed - I simply cannot afford spending 150 bucks on a single deck, and am now a bit confused about wether I want to run a dredge deck or a reanimator deck. On top of that, the Premium Graveborn deck is 30 bucks, which is a considerable amount of money.

First of all I probably want to stick to BG, so no blue or red drawing cards. I think I'll go for a mix between Dredge and Reanimator, keeping the Dredge creatures to fill up the graveyard and then using some reanimators to get big creatures, but keeping to the BG colours a bit.
Sorry for the double post, but after some puzzling I came up with a possible decklist:

2 Barren Moor
2 Dakmor Salvage
4 Forest
4 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
6 Swamp
2 Tranquil Thicket
2 Doomgape
2 Dreg Mangler
3 Eternal Witness
3 Golgari Grave-Troll
2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
2 Stinkweed Imp
2 Life // Death
2 Life from the Loam
4 Putrefy
1 Avatar of Woe
2 Putrid Imp
3 Animate Dead
1 Cabal Therapy
2 Dread Return
1 Entomb
1 Reanimate
4 Slitherhead
2 Bridge from Below

For this, I'd need the Golgari vs. Izzet deck twice (which I can split with a friend again), the graveborn deck, 4x Slitherhead, and 2x Bridge From Below, which I can trade with a friend. It would put the total price of the deck at a little under 50 bucks.

What do you guys think?  

What do you guys think?  

Ultimately to me what is most important is that my decklist is approximately equal in power to the decklist of my opponent. When there is a huge gap between the power of one decklist or the other then you will see a disproportionate amount of winning on the pilot of that decklist. It takes away from the fun of the game.

Essentially what I'm sayin is that I think the list you've presented is pretty slow (specifically when compared with the list from lightning balls' link), however, if you have fun playing the decklist and if it's the right power level for the tournaments you're attending then I love it.

I'm also building on a budget and sometimes it can be challenging especially when the key cards which define the decklist are the most expensive cards in the decklist. Sometimes there a budget substitutes (example oblivion ring and detention sphere) other times there are no other comparable options (example thragtusk).

Ultimately the best way to build on a budget is buying singles. You may not get as many cards as you would if you bought the izzet vs golgari duel decks but in the end you would have more of the cards that you want. There are rare instances when the price of a card or cards exceeds the MSRP on the sealed product (umezawa's jitte comes to mind which was in a betrayers precon selling for $12 at wal-mart and the single card was selling for $12+) but usually those things tend to work themselves out (everyone rushed to wal-mart to get their jitte and local retailers increased the cost of that particular preconstructed deck)
As for now, the Izzet vs Golgari deck costs a lot less than its parts on their own (Life from the Laom, Grave-troll and Jarad together cost about 15 while the Golgari deck costs 10), so it's more profitable to get that. This isn't the case for the Graveborn deck, for which buying the individual cards I need would be cheaper, but then again it is all foil and just a very cool deck to have, so with all the good cards I can get out of it I'll probably just get that even if it costs a bit more.

I do agree that the deck needs to be a bit faster: it doesn't have to be top-tier Legacy of course, but it does have to be able to keep up with my friends' main decks (Goblin, Elves and Slivers). What I need right now are cards that help me to start discarding on turn 1 or 2. I should probably get a playset of Grisly Salvages and maybe some Putrid Imps. 

Any other suggestions? 
If you are looking for quick discard, Wild Mongrel is a house, especially when paired with Life from the loam.

Also, I wouldn't run Bridge. It'll be too hard to avoid killing any of your opponents dudes. I don't see a lot of benefit from dread return either; you can't profitably gain from the flashback cost like competitive dredge decks can. You don't have any threats that are worth 3 creatures in play, and not enough of your dudes care about dying that much. If you want to go the value reanimate plan (just reanimating to take advantage of the fact that you are dredging, so it's like you are drawing cards), Unburial Rites is a pretty good answer. Yes, you will need white mana, but you are playing green AND life from the loam, so that's easy. Just pick up some Selesnya Guildgates and you should be golden.

Finally, if you want to be a massive jerk (and you are playing casual), play strip mine with Life from the loam.

If you are looking for quick discard, Wild Mongrel is a house, especially when paired with Life from the loam.

Also, I wouldn't run Bridge. It'll be too hard to avoid killing any of your opponents dudes. I don't see a lot of benefit from dread return either; you can't profitably gain from the flashback cost like competitive dredge decks can. You don't have any threats that are worth 3 creatures in play, and not enough of your dudes care about dying that much. If you want to go the value reanimate plan (just reanimating to take advantage of the fact that you are dredging, so it's like you are drawing cards), Unburial Rites is a pretty good answer. Yes, you will need white mana, but you are playing green AND life from the loam, so that's easy. Just pick up some Selesnya Guildgates and you should be golden.

Finally, if you want to be a massive jerk (and you are playing casual), play strip mine with Life from the loam.

Great advice, thanks! I'll definitely go look for some Wild Mongrels, it looks like it would fit perfectly in my deck.

I wanted to run Bridge from Below and Dread Return seeing as they were in the pro Dredge deck, but I can see what you mean that they don't fit into mine very well. As for Unburial Rites, I'll first look how my deck works as soon as I get the Graveborn deck (which won't be until December, sadly), but it does look very promising. Putting a few GW lands in there won't be a problem with Life from the Loam, as you said.
Sign In to post comments