DLCR: Havoc Festival

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other RtR card to rate is...

Havoc Festival

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is rather bad.  Once again we have an enchantment that's to expensive.  And by the time you play it you better be ahead in the race.

I could see it being sided in against control decks that stall the field.

Discuss! 
I was thinking this and cards like HellHole Flailer might be fun. But I think 0.5 is fair, it is costly and just as likely to backfire on you.
1-1.5.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
This one doesn't work with the defined ratings very well because it is very strong, but only when combined with burn or instant speed life loss.  I would never first pick this pack 1, but if I am in Rakdos and have 3 or more of the following cards going into pack 3:

Annihilating Fire
Stab Wound
Explosive Impact
Launch Party

Rix-Maadi Guildmage 
Hellhole Flailer
Rakdos Charm

Then I am definitely first-picking it over anything but something like a foil pack rat or desecration demon.  I'll take it late packs 1 or 2 if I am in Rakdos on the off chance I get the synergy for it.  As such, I would rate it 0.5-4.0 depending on what the rest of my deck looks like.

So far, this has only come together for me once, and it worked very well.
This one doesn't work with the defined ratings very well because it is very strong, but only when combined with burn or instant speed life loss.  I would never first pick this pack 1, but if I am in Rakdos and have 3 or more of the following cards going into pack 3:

Annihilating Fire
Stab Wound
Explosive Impact
Launch Party

Rix-Maadi Guildmage 
Hellhole Flailer
Rakdos Charm

Then I am definitely first-picking it over anything but something like a foil pack rat or desecration demon.  I'll take it late packs 1 or 2 if I am in Rakdos on the off chance I get the synergy for it.  As such, I would rate it 0.5-4.0 depending on what the rest of my deck looks like.

So far, this has only come together for me once, and it worked very well.

This is never above a 2.0  I don't care what deck you're running.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I don't know, I feel like 2.0 is kind of low for an enchantment that consistantly wins the turn after being played. Not every deck can pull that off, but for the decks that can, I think it should be higher than that. 
I think people are underestimating what this enchantment can do... Its not unusual to play against slow decks in limited. This gives a rakdos deck with some reach spells a way to get their opponent into lethal range. Just a burn spell away from doom, 20 to 10, 10 to 5, 6 damage to the face instant style. How often will this come up probably not very.. but it isn't as bad people make it out to be. It is one of those situational cards where you have to look at it and go can I make this an alternative win condition consistently for my deck, if yes, pick it up. 

2.0 (if the circumstances fit) 
I don't know, I feel like 2.0 is kind of low for an enchantment that consistantly wins the turn after being played. Not every deck can pull that off, but for the decks that can, I think it should be higher than that. 

It doesn't consistently do that. In fact, I've never seen it do that.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I'm a little higher on this card after seeing it in action. While it could certainly backfire, the turn after it is played, your opponent will be at 10 life or less, and the turn after that they should be at 5 life or less. Explosive Impact FTW!
I don't even see this card.  0.0.
BTW, this card never "wins" the game.
Is this more playable in block draft?   It also seems like a way to counter lifegain because it geometrically reduces their life.   Of course, if you are losing the race you are just going to get extorted to death.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Sign In to post comments