Contest - Five by Five

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I currently have 4 other contests open: Demons // Wumpuses // Flavor // Gates.

So, let's go with a fifth.

Criteria = Big emphasis on the number 5.

Time = 5 days.  Contest closes Tuesday, November 20, 2012, at noon EST.

Grading = Standard 5 (balance, color-appropriateness, rules, diction, flavor).  Each comment will start with a five-word sentence/phrase that summarizes my ultimate opinion as succinctly as possible.

"Five by five." -- Faith
Five Man Band

Enchantment--Trope

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a creature of each color, you win the game.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
ahahah

ahAHAHAHAHAHA

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

naya.

Worldquake Baloth |
Creature - Beast
Trample
: Up to 5 target creatures become 5/5 until end of turn.
Its steps shape the world. Its spirit shapes the people on that world.
5/5

much to my shame, I never really liked the Naya 5/5 theme.
Five Man Band

Enchantment--Trope

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a creature of each color, you win the game.

Bah!  You ninja'd my idea.....though I was going to do it with planeswalkers and this image:

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Well, this is still happening.
Is this a Buffy reference?

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Five Pieces

Sorcery
Choose five target permanents.
Destroy one, untap and gain control of one, put one on the bottom of its owner's library, put one into it's owner's hand, one becomes a 5/5 creature in addition to its other types.
Is this a Buffy reference?

isn't everything?
Five Pieces

Sorcery
Choose five target permanents.
Destroy one, untap and gain control of one, put one on the bottom of its owner's library, put one into it's owner's hand, one becomes a 5/5 creature in addition to its other types.

I like it, may be a bit over powered for the cost but it's no gaurenteed win.

(perm an ents , my dyslexia switches the "n" and "m" sounds)

Instant Charm
Instant
gain 5 life or prevent 5 points of damage to target creature
do 5 daamge to target creature or player
add to your mana pool
target creature get +5/+5 until the end of turn
draw 5 cards

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock

bay_falconer = Five Man Band = "why not use Coalition Victory?" -- you don't need the basic lands.. but to get the mana cost on your enchantment and get out your creatures, very good chance you'll have them anyway -- or, at least, it wouldn't be so hard to have them anyway and cut down the difficulty in costing your enchantment instead of Coalition Victory

TherealphatMatt = Worldquake Baloth = "love baloths, 5's bit much" -- I always liked the naya 5/5 theme; thought it was fun -- this is a bit overboard for it though; standard was a creature with power 5 or greater; not just pumping up to 5/5 -- feel like the power is a little strong; since it's "up to" it will only ever benefit you to activate; would prefer it without the "up to" and require 5 valid targets; requires more careful planning and consideration that way

HairlessThoctar = Five Pieces = "cool idea, but too strong" -- very cool idea; I like where you're coming from, but it's just way too strong -- destroy an opponent's land; steal another one of lands; bounce another to his hand; and throw one onto bottom of his library -- and still get anything you control into a 5/5 creature -- this is so devastating; and if you don't care about his mana, you can ruin everything else he controls -- love where you're coming from, but this is absurdly powerful, even for spectrum mana cost -- thank you for making it a sorcery, though; I think it's a big part of designing for people to realize that not everything can be an instant

Matt_Holck = Instant Charm = "wholly intolerable power level here" -- this is beyond overpowered; it's a free spell (you get 5 mana back) that draws 5 cards, Lava Axes, and various other all beneficial effects -- no -- even the ultimatums aren't this powerful -- and a card that does this crazy much stuff cannot be an instant -- not all spell abilities function as instants; some only make sense flavor-wise as sorceries -- something like this has to be an instant

blankguy = Made-Up Fifth Entry = "the five theme rides on" -- need to have a fifth entry to keep the theme running, so this is a fake entry place holder to service just that point -- it might be overpowered.. but the casting cost is perfect -- ultimately, does exactly what i wanted without going too far overboard

Buffy rules!

I tried very hard to make a card for this, but I desperately wanted it to contain an eclectic buffy reference, and after 10 mins of staring at a blank screen a handful of times I gave up.

I could have referenced season 5...dammit I wish I had thought of that before!  Althought Glorificus was not my favorite big bad. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Buffy rules!

I tried very hard to make a card for this, but I desperately wanted it to contain an eclectic buffy reference, and after 10 mins of staring at a blank screen a handful of times I gave up.

I could have referenced season 5...dammit I wish I had thought of that before!  Althought Glorificus was not my favorite big bad. 

yeah, season five was largely a train wreck
i still send weekly hate mail to michelle trachtenberg
Buffy..well..anything that Joss does...is just like sex or pizza.  Even when its bad its still pretty good.

And you have to love it for giving us the phrase "Insane Troll Logic". 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/