Help me make a sliver commander deck.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, thanks for popping into my thread.  

I am returning to magic after a significant hiatus in order to finish up with school and other things in life etc.. The last set I was really involved with magic was Mercadian Masques. Today when I went in to the store to play the big thing to do was EDH or commander. Being that I have always been a fan of slivers and I have some of the older ones already I thought this would be a fun way to get into the format.  

Biggest question I have is how do you reccomend overcoming the difficulty in obtaining all the different colors of mana in this format? As I am done with school budget isn't too big of a concern but I still want to keep it reasonable, and since there are now a TON of cards that I have never seen I thought I might ask for reccomendations to get me started.

Also any commentary on the viability of slivers in an EDC deck. Is it worth my time/money?

Any other reccomendations for a player in my postion looking to get into this format?

Thanks a ton in advance :D 
I would rather build elementals using Horde of Notions but slivers are neat.

A solid mana base in 5 colors that wont break your bank might be a little tough. You'll need the ten ravnica shocklands, fetch lands, shadowmoor filters, alara trilands, and then some misc. lands to get you to around 36-38.

3DH4LIF3

I would rather build elementals using Horde of Notions but slivers are neat. A solid mana base in 5 colors that wont break your bank might be a little tough. You'll need the ten ravnica shocklands, fetch lands, shadowmoor filters, alara trilands, and then some misc. lands to get you to around 36-38.

Yeah I know they might not be optimal but slivers are something I already have. Are those lands expensive? I Just as an idea I could see myself spending around $100-$200 on the deck.

I have most of the slivers now and will be getting the overlord/legion soon. 
Here is a link to my sliver deck. Check it out. I love it, everyone hates it... must be right? lol

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slivercrack

You can build a budget 5 color mana base.  It'll be slower, but considering slivers draw lots of hate, getting a slow start may not be a bad thing. 
Thanks guys.

Do you think it will be worth it to look at getting some of the dual lands?

PocketAces so from what you said I am assuming your deck is compettitive? How hard would it be to get ahold of the lands/mana generation you use? 
If you can afford them, it's always worth it to get dual lands. 
Thanks guys.

Do you think it will be worth it to look at getting some of the dual lands?

PocketAces so from what you said I am assuming your deck is compettitive? How hard would it be to get ahold of the lands/mana generation you use? 

Dual Lands are ALWAYS worth getting, if you can fork out the cash. Those and the Ravnica block duals are key too. I would have them in here but since this deck tends to get me killed first, I don't put them in here. But I will say if you do put in the dual lands it is even more important to put in the zendikar fetch lands. 

All the lands are easy to get, a local shop, or SSG should have them in stock.
Not even the ABUR dual lands. It's worth it just to get stuff like the guild gates, pain lands, Core Set duals, and the ones that come into play tapped. The tri-lands from Alara are good too.
Here is where I am at so far. my biggest concern is that the lands are going to be just too dang slow. Any suggestions for improvements are very welcome.

Creatures
Quick Sliver
Birds of Paradise
Plated Sliver
Horned Sliver
Acidic Sliver 
Sliver Overlord
Necrotic Sliver
Root Sliver
Brood Sliver
Shifting Sliver
Fungus Sliver
Winged Sliver
Synchronous Sliver
Gemhide Sliver
Sinew Sliver
Ward Sliver
Basal Sliver
Mnemonic Sliver
Sidewinder Sliver
Pulmonic Sliver
Sliver Legion
Spined Sliver
Reflex Sliver
Clot Sliver
Blade Sliver
Synapse Sliver
Hibernation Sliver
Watcher Sliver
Talon Sliver
Spinneret Sliver
Fury Sliver
Cautery Sliver
Might Sliver
Darkheart Sliver
Heart Sliver
Two-Headed Sliver
Crypt Sliver
Crystalline Sliver
Poultice Sliver
Sliver Quenn
Hunter Sliver
Muscle Sliver

Artifacts

Obelisk of Jund
Obelisk of Naya
Chromatic Lantern
Darksteel Ingot
Sol Ring
Prophetic Prism
Heartstone
Coat of Arms
Door of Destinies

Sorcery/Instant/Enchantment

Wrath of God
Pernicious Deed
Defense of the Heart
Animate Dead
Swords to Plowshares
Terror
Enlightened Tutor
Shared Triumph
Eladamri's Call
Diabolic Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Aphetto Dredging
Green Sun's Zenith
Steely Resolve
Worship

Land

Dimir Aqueduct
Gemstone Mine
Reliquary Tower
Vivid Marsh
Coastal Tower
Simic Growth Chamber
Ancient Ziggurat
Rootbound Crag
City of Brass
Rupture Spire
Evolving Wilds
Salt Marsh
Sunpetal Grove
Urborg Volcano
Strip Mine
Thran Quarry
Vivid Creek
Kazandu Refuge
Vivid Crag
Vivid Grove
Glacial Fortress
Glimmervoid
Selesnya Sanctuary
Undiscovered Paradise
Vivid Meadow
Azorius Chancery
Elfhame Palace
Shivan Oasis
Boros Garrison
Command Tower
Dragonskull Summit
Terramorphic Expanse
Drowned Catacomb
Golgari Rot Farm
Obviously Sliver Overlord will be the commander, tutor oh yea, plus 3 mana mindcontrols  ImageCrafter Comes to mind.

I think i'll take your general in response to your attack sir, muahaha 
Obviously Sliver Overlord will be the commander, tutor oh yea, plus 3 mana mindcontrols  ImageCrafter Comes to mind.

I think i'll take your general in response to your attack sir, muahaha 

Hahaha that is awesome. Totally going to find a place for Imagecrafter

Thanks! 
Eldrazi Monument
Harsh Mercy
Unnatural Selection (For Minerva's Touch's idea to the extreme)
Mirror Entity
Patriarch's Bidding
Aggravated Assault (Combined with Gemhide Sliver and 5 others = infiite mana/attacks
Faces of the Past (Basal Sliver + Gemhide Sliver + Reflex Sliver/Heart Sliver
Mana Echoes Sliver Queen +1 other = Infinite Slivers

(I love tribal themes and have put in alot of thought to combos involving them... Can you tell?)

Edit: Just thought to look at the proposed sliver deck I just rememberd making a couple of years ago for ideas:
Engineered Explosives
Mirari's Wake
Channel the Suns (Allows you to cast ur general without being completely color fixed; First search with overlord should prolly be gemhide)
Asceticism Better than Steely Resolve/Crystalline Sliver because if you have Steely/CS in play, you can't take over other people's Slivers; This only protects yours
Privileged Position Same as Asceticism but it protects other things too
Sterling Grove Allows you to protect your Priviledged Position/Asceticism
Genesis or Oversold Cemetary because someone WILL WoG/Damnation/Other Board Wipe to clear the board if you get too built up if you cant finish then before they cast it.

Sliver I noticed you were missing:
Harmonic Sliver

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

There's a combo involving Intruder Alarm with slivers...but I can't remember it right off hand. Also it's somewhat a bad card...but it's flavorful: Riptide Replicator.
There's a combo involving Intruder Alarm with slivers...but I can't remember it right off hand. Also it's somewhat a bad card...but it's flavorful: Riptide Replicator.

Yea, its Gemhide + Sliver Queen. Replicator is likely not the best choice. If you have the mana to cast that, you should probably be using sliver queen and using other sliver buffs to increase thier base size.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

For lands that ctp can add in amulet of vigor

mana echoes will fit nice
Fifth dawn is an excellent rainbow set and it was right after they brough back slivers in legions so their are some good mana fixing cards there.

Mana fixation in green and colorless to look into.

Gemstone Array Mana storage ftw

Wayfarer's Bauble Rampant growth, that costs 3 colorless not bad.
Expedition Map Lets you search for ANY land (includes non basics)
Horizon Spellbomb Not as good as the above but replaces its self and puts it into your hand.

Armillary Sphere bigger vresion of Horizon spellbomb

Journeyer's Kite Amazing land fetching, I recommend buying one of these for your EDH decks if you don't mind switching out cards between decks, its an EDH staple for many many non green decks.

Gem of Becoming Easy to get a hold of and can thin 3 basic lands out of your deck and into your hand.

Elfhame sanctuary Lets you skip your draw to get the land you need.

Prismatic Omen Ultimate mana fixing two mana and your set every land is now a BOP on top of its other abilities.

Rites of spring Steep cost but if you have recursion or cards you know you just won't/shouldn't play you can abandon them for lands.

Scouting Trek two mana and you can draw all the lands you need, but you won't be drawing anything else

Sylvan Scrying Tutor up that Command Tower

Sprouting Vines Great end phase of their turn cast, oh thanks for casting two or three spells for me I think i'll fetch some basics to flesh out my mana base, thanks brah!

Search for tomorrow Does wonder's for one green mana, or can be hardcasted, not a great card (for EDH) but I felt it deserved an honorable mention.

Dawn's Reflection Doesn't replace its self like the below but now your land taps for additional mana of any color woot woot!
Abundant Growth Replaces its self, is a common and makes any land tap for any mana.
All Suns' Dawn doesn't fit the mana theme but amazing recursion for you

Sliver Queen
Mana Echos

Deck done.....

If you're making a gold deck, and not using dual lands, it will be incredibly tough. I know, duals are incredibly expensive, but having played this game since 96 or so, they help so much. so you're going to have a very hard time, hope you enjoy a challenge!

Fetch lands are all going up. I just put up a blue red one for sale at $30...and those aren't "favorable" colors. Dual lands start at like 50 nowadays on the really low side, Shock lands are the cheaper ones and go for like $10+ depending on the colors.

use a card like Prismatic omen that will make your lands each type, then you don't need to worry...but a gold deck without fetches, shocks, duals and ones that produce any color like command tower, and city of brass as example will be hard and need to use a lot of green to find lands you need.     

But since the lands are expensive consider artifact mana like coalition relic, fist of the suns, and chromatic lantern.   

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments