Detect Magic annoying.

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a cleric in the game I am running now. He told me that since he is able to cast Detect magic unlimited times that he will always have it up. It has seemed to cause me more then one headache so far. Is there a work around for this? 

K-Ray
Make everything magic.
Always right, 102% of the time.
um, not sure that is correct. What edition are you playing?
In 4th, that would be an arcana roll each round. Sounds like someone is trying to create a new passive skill.

His own magic items are constantly distracting him. So are the ones from his party.

borrow from previous editions: Nystl's Magic aura. effect: something looks magical, even though it isn't.
I'm not sure I see what the issue is. Seems like he doesn't like the idea of being challenged by hidden magical items. Challenge him in a way he would enjoy.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

In what way has it caused you a headache?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I have a cleric in the game I am running now. He told me that since he is able to cast Detect magic unlimited times that he will always have it up. It has seemed to cause me more then one headache so far. Is there a work around for this? 

K-Ray

Two things; What Salla said, and Nystul's Magic Aura.
If it's most editions I'm familiar with...let him do it.

Detect Magic has Verbal components. Goodbye stealth. Hello random encounters!

It's also the most common spell possible and will be recognized by many. Can't imagine how many NPCs would be insulted by someone constantly casting Detect Magic around them.

When in doubt, just apply real-world logical consequences to actions like this. No need to get meta. Just let the world actually react. Imagine someone walking around in the real world with a metal detect they constantly sweep over everyone and everything at all times then just imagine what sort of issues they'd run into.

Heck, maybe your player will like those sort of reactions! If so, more power to him! If not, well it will be discouraged.
I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it. #SuperDungeonMasterIITurbo My blog and stuff http://dmingtowin.blogspot.com/ 100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.
Seeing as that is all he is doing and concentrating on, he is always going to fail perception checks, not being able to think about other ideas, etc.
An epic 4E (and 3.5 E) world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin: www.farlandworld.com
Make everything magic.

Yes!
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
I'd like to see the OP chime back in. I'm not even convinced this is a real issue.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

If it's most editions I'm familiar with...let him do it.

Detect Magic has Verbal components. Goodbye stealth. Hello random encounters!

It's also the most common spell possible and will be recognized by many. Can't imagine how many NPCs would be insulted by someone constantly casting Detect Magic around them.

When in doubt, just apply real-world logical consequences to actions like this. No need to get meta. Just let the world actually react. Imagine someone walking around in the real world with a metal detect they constantly sweep over everyone and everything at all times then just imagine what sort of issues they'd run into.

Heck, maybe your player will like those sort of reactions! If so, more power to him! If not, well it will be discouraged.

This ^

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
Seems like he doesn't like the idea of being challenged by hidden magical items.

Or he believes in using whatever resources he has to the fullest possible extent, and is therefore going to have the spell on 24/7 if this provides some benefit and has no drawbacks. 
Seems like he doesn't like the idea of being challenged by hidden magical items.

Or he believes in using whatever resources he has to the fullest possible extent, and is therefore going to have the spell on 24/7 if this provides some benefit and has no drawbacks. 

This isn't a real situation anyway, until the original poster chimes back in and gives us more infomation.

I don't recall anything in the editions I've used where it would be 'at will' or recast with frequency (you'd eat through spell slots for it quickly and it would require concentration to maintain) unless it was an item, but even hat should have a #/day limit.  My first suggestion would be check to be sure the rules are being implemented right.

Have a chat about the spamming the spell if everything is being done per the rules as written, most people will understand that overdoing something will get old for everyone.

After that, if the player is doing this excessively then it should impact the PC's awareness of things around them since the spell requires concentration, people they interact with may either be annoyed at the PC's actions(if they know) or think that they are not paying attention (if they don't), constantly casting this may draw...strange critter/being attention and prompt some interesting encounters (let them find out about the potential risk a session or two before it would come up though; foreshadowing not DM-hammer), this may also cause the PC headaches or other health issues (again foreshadow first), also if the PC runs across a powerful item or artifact they are going to be in a word of hurt.

Good luck.   Everyone have fun.

This isn't a real situation anyway, until the original poster chimes back in and gives us more infomation.

I was inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he is kind of taking a while to get back to this.
I've run into issues like this before, as well. It's been my experience that because 4e is such a well-designed game, the DM has much less to ajudicate than in past editions. I point that out because when I find myself in these situations, it's usually because I've interpreted a rule in the wrong or an unintended way. Honestly, I find myself juggling so much in-game as DM, that I may be unfamiliar of how a particular part of the game is supposed to funtion. Other times, I've simply created the wrong environment for a particular player.

Regardless, in situations like this, it always boils down to asking myself: is the player is trying to cheat or use a rule in an unintended way?

As DM, you need to answer that for yourself to establish the style/type of game you want to run, but I can tell you how I'd answer it in this situation: yes, s/he is trying to "cheat".

From the little I know, it sounds like the player is trying to invent a "Passive Detect Magic" mechanic. In my mind, "detect magic" requires moderate-to-intense focus and energy, if not some gesturing.

Sorry guys, been getting ready to get married. Last post I saw was the one about making everything magic.  Its a Pathfinders game where Detect magic is a 0 lvl spell that can be cast unlimited times. Had to read into it to see that its a concentration thing and not just up and him able to see who has magic items at all time even through walls (depending on thickness) at 60 feet. Im fairly new at DMing so I do not have everything fleshed out as of yet in my game and would love to leave it open that the random bum you pass by everyday just might have a magic item. Its more of a minor annoyance but seemed like it was something that I might be doing wrong in reguards to how it is "supposed" to be used. Its a bit less so with the concentration part put into play.  Thanks and sorry about not responding sooner.

K-Ray
Sorry guys, been getting ready to get married. Last post I saw was the one about making everything magic.  Its a Pathfinders game where Detect magic is a 0 lvl spell that can be cast unlimited times. Had to read into it to see that its a concentration thing and not just up and him able to see who has magic items at all time even through walls (depending on thickness) at 60 feet. Im fairly new at DMing so I do not have everything fleshed out as of yet in my game and would love to leave it open that the random bum you pass by everyday just might have a magic item. Its more of a minor annoyance but seemed like it was something that I might be doing wrong in reguards to how it is "supposed" to be used. Its a bit less so with the concentration part put into play.  Thanks and sorry about not responding sooner.

K-Ray

Wow. Congratulations! Don't worry about response time, and have fun learning to DM. That really is one of the fun things about being a DM, is learning about it.
Even if casting detect magic all the time is not balance disrupting, especially not if you as a DM are not likely to use gotchas (a DM tricking a player into behavior that is counter productive to the situation) and place magical traps at logical places (and even than it is not full proof since magical auras can be hidden). It can be annoying though depending on how the player approaches the situation and how you as a DM like to run your games. Personally I would ask the player why he feels the need, pointing out some of the limitations of the spell (it does require concentration, it would reveal a lot of senseless information). It might tell you something about the player's likes and dislikes and perhaps his experiences in the past with a DM that loved gotchas. If he still insist, simply accept it, and say that you will tell the player when it matters and that there is no need for constant prompting and reminders by the player (which is the type of behavior that can be rather irritating).
This reminds me of players who tell me they are always at maximum alertness.  And watching out for traps.  And searching for secret doors.  And have their weapons drawn or arrows notched.   Right, good luck with that.

purely by the rules, in 3.5, you MUST concentrate on Detect Magic for each round it is active.  Look up the rules on concentrating on spells - the limitations and requirements.  I'm pretty sure he won't want to have to do that all the time.

I have not, however, played 3.5 in a while, so i might be mistaken on this last point.  i BELIEVE that you cast detect magic, then concentrate for up to 3 rounds to get the details.  I'm not sure if you must recast it everytime you....say....move, or look/focus on something new.  I'm pretty sure people would question him stopping and staring for 3 rounds every time he moves.

Now, to the real issue, or lack thereof.  Why is it an issue?  except for corner cases, our group has pretty much done away with detect magic (in 4e).  Its much easier to simply describe something as working magically (magic effects tend to be obvious) and magic weapons are "extra fancy looking."  The only time detect magic comes up is when the party runs into magical traps, which, more often than not, are part of an encounter, which makes them function dynamically as part of the encounter instead of simply as an obstacle that the party must overcome in a vacuum (a reverse gravity corridor in a castly is nifty, but a pointless, easily overcome obstacle....a reverse gravity portion of a room in the middle of a fight in the wizard's tower is a dynamic and interesting feature that can be used by either side).