The things that went well

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just thought I would throw this out there to have everyone share any stories about EDH for plays or wins that went particularly well for you. I for one wanted to share a funny win I managed with a R/W war themed deck lead by Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran where I had managed to have him in play sporting Inquisitor's Flail, Grappling Hook and a Darksteel Axe as well as my Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer wielding my Sunforger for those who don't feel like doing the math Agrus swings for 10 deals 20/hit and hits twice! I had exactly left over and was able to pay for the ability of Sunforger and with it, I pulled a Master Warcraft out of my deck and had Agrus go unblocked for a 1 shot!

It was my first game of EDH and it was quite the attack and I thought there has to be a ton of great stories out there that people would like to share about their EDH games and I'd love to hear em.
Well, this happened recently:
This happened in my Kemba deck when she was the target of my own Redirected Oblation.  So then, my opponent's Sheoldred, Whispering One backfired on him, allowing me to repeatedly sac my Stoneforge Mystic and keep resurrecting her with the Titan.  He was one badass giant, and he won the game for me when I was on the brink of losing..

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Any time I genesis wave and hit a recursive creature like eternal witness to get back the genesis wave I feel like things went well.

Or any time I land citadel of pain. Its all downhill from there.

3DH4LIF3

Ok... serious story... playing damia. Drew into ashnods altar and played my puppeteer clique early for the sake of allowing my opponents a chance to kill it off before I combo'd. No one does. I land the altar and woodfall primus who bites it once before I draw and play the nim deathmantle. One of my opponents bins the primus in response to the mantle... I'm a little despondent until I realize that there's a karmic guide in another graveyard... and so puppeteer clique saves the day!

3DH4LIF3

I resolved a decree of annihilation in my jhoira of the ghitu deck and recovered!

To make the joke serious, I had rhystic study out when the bomb dropped, practically drew into 5 lands and sol ring. I had a mindmoil out because I'm experimenting the fork out of that card, and I had a pathrazer suspended. In one play, I got shivan sandmage and fury charm, got pathrazer of ulamog out the turn after I had suspended him, suited him up with some boots of running really fast and just won right there, because what're you gonna do about it?
I resolved a decree of annihilation in my jhoira of the ghitu deck and recovered!

To make the joke serious, I had rhystic study out when the bomb dropped, practically drew into 5 lands and sol ring. I had a mindmoil out because I'm experimenting the fork out of that card, and I had a pathrazer suspended. In one play, I got shivan sandmage and fury charm, got pathrazer of ulamog out the turn after I had suspended him, suited him up with some boots of running really fast and just won right there, because what're you gonna do about it?

I'd Imagine the only unsettling thing about that whole play for you was the glare from across the table lol
Playing my Radha, Heir to Keld  timmy deck, I got out a few of my land fetch garbage critters like Sylvan Ranger. Then came Predator Ooze, which didn't do much. Then came Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, which met the business end of an Oblivion Ring. Then I cast Eldrazi Conscription on the Predator Ooze. The Ooze promptly got itself put under Arrest. Next turn, I cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre. He is placed in a Cage of Hands.
The next turn I cast Craterhoof Behemoth and all my little land fetch turds trampled for the win against three players.

It's a timmy deck and all that, but.....never again will I draw the that horrid combo of Ooze, Conscription, Ulamog, and Kozilek. It was just crazy.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Thats Awesome, Im sure every enchanment played by your opponents gave them that sense of security that lasted all the way up till your next play lol
Well, this happened recently:
This happened in my Kemba deck when she was the target of my own Redirected Oblation.  So then, my opponent's Sheoldred, Whispering One backfired on him, allowing me to repeatedly sac my Stoneforge Mystic and keep resurrecting her with the Titan.  He was one badass giant, and he won the game for me when I was on the brink of losing..

That's not even right, man.  
My best lately was playing my Molimo deck.  I had Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant out, and was joking how I'd probably never get to flip him(ever).  Then one player helpfully cast Minds Aglow for something like 30.  Suddenly Sasaya flips, I have 13 lands in play (each producing 13 mana) and nothing to give me no maximum hand size.  So I started playing stuff.  Did I mention it's a creature heavy deck, and Soul of the Harvest was out?  So I played, and drew til I was out of mana.  My turn took about 15 minutes, my friends were getting irritated, and I kept trying to explain that it wasn't my fault.  It was all made possible by the Mind's Aglow player, I was just trying to play stuff to avoid discarding 20+ cards.  I still had to discard, but only five or six.
Friend used praetor's grasp to take glen elendra archmage (bad choice against animar, but he really wanted to win counter wars and/or have resilient blocker for animar I guess.)

Had venser and sage of fables in my hand. I think he regretted playing that archmage.

Earlier in the week we were playing throne magic. It's a great variant, google it if you have a decent sized playgroup that likes MP. Someone else was playing my commander deck, and I was playing another guys eldrazi modern deck. I get big E out just as my teammate (roles are hidden so I didn't know it and he actually had been attacking me) dies. I have to start somewhere and swing with him at the guy playing my deck first. He has some lands, wood elves and kiki out (I o-stoned off of an ancient stirrings earlier.) he dies and the top card of the deck was zealous conscripts... Whew.
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13

I'd Imagine the only unsettling thing about that whole play for you was the glare from across the table lol

I was having fun. My friend could suck it.
lmao ^
Was a bit cruel, but in a game with a buddy earlier I walked around his creatures with Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran for the win with Rogue's Passage. I forget exactly what did it but an effect he had used tossed the top card of his deck earlier on, it being a Savage Twister his means of stoping Kos were gone. I would've felt worse about it if he had not, in the previous game, sent both my commander and my means of shuffling the deck to the bottom of my deck.
Playing a friend's Ghave, Guru of Spores Melira combo deck, because I didn't have my decks on me.  I kept a hand that didn't do anything special, but had a Strangleroot to go with Ghave.  Then I drew into Altar of Dementia and Karmic Guide but had no graveyard yet.  I milled myself for 2 with the Strangleroot/Altar, and found a Woodfall Primus.  Before my next turn, someone cast a board wipe and I was left with only the Primus.
Luckily I still had Mikaeus, the Unhallowed in hand to get infinite mill the next turn.
Got Gisela, Fire Servant and Furnace of Rath out and Inferno at hand. I just had to swing Gisela at the guy who was at 64 life before nuking him and the other two.
Rite of Replication + Reaper King. I've pulled it off a few times and it is always glorious.
Rite of Replication + Reaper King. I've pulled it off a few times and it is always glorious.

So...maybe I don't get it.  This is to destroy six permanents?  I mean...I guess that's cool.  Perhaps if Grave Pact was involved...

So...maybe I don't get it.  This is to destroy six permanents?  I mean...I guess that's cool.  Perhaps if Grave Pact was involved...

The five copies will trigger four times each for the others.  And the original will trigger five times.
I'd still rather have another scarecrow and copy it five times, but some folks like not keeping good creatures for some reason, I guess...
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Well I would imagine Reaper King is the Commander there, so you can always just cast him again.  After destrying 25 permanents in one shot.
Three weeks ago I had a game with my Asmira, Holy avenger deck.  My friend played a hunted phantasm, giving me the five goblins on ETB trigger and then swings with an army of 2/2s.  The 5 goblins, my five land (3 :G:, 2 :W: ) and convoke let me resolve an instant speed Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite with a Chord of Calling.  His expression was priceless, somewhere between OMG and WTF.
Pulling out a Havoc Festival with a Furnace of rath is always fun.

In a different game, once I got into a counterspell war after casting Omniscience. I was fully expecting it also (Everyone was playing blue), as three counterspell were cast against me. Somehow, I managed to deflect them all, then went with Teferi, followed by Equilibrium/Coiling Oracle/Laboratory maniac for the win.

Another game, playing my elf deck, one of the other players pulled a card allowing me to draw a total of about 14 cards..... giving 14 cards to the player with Rofellos, llanowar Emissary on the field... I proceeded to cast Altar of Dementia, Kicked a Joraga warcaller, played off a Slate of Ancestry, and then asked....  How many cards are left in your deck?
RPGtable username : RTiger
Pulling out a Havoc Festival with a Furnace of rath is always fun.

These two cards don't exactly interact. Havoc Festival in not damage. Still a dicy situation though.
In a different game, once I got into a counterspell war after casting Omniscience. I was fully expecting it also (Everyone was playing blue), as three counterspell were cast against me. Somehow, I managed to deflect them all, then went with Teferi, followed by Equilibrium/Coiling Oracle/Laboratory maniac for the win.

Omniscience does not eliminate the cost of Equilibrium's trigger. Also, Coiling Oracle can't win with Lab Maniac as it does not draw cards.

These two cards don't exactly interact. Havoc Festival in not damage. Still a dicy situation though.

Try Wound Reflection.
I've been off the site for a few days glad to see a few more posts upon my return looks like a lot of interesting games. Gisela is awesome just got my hands on her now I've got my eye on that war angel in Gatecrash <3
I've been off the site for a few days glad to see a few more posts upon my return looks like a lot of interesting games. Gisela is awesome just got my hands on her now I've got my eye on that war angel in Gatecrash <3

I really want to build an Angelpalooza deck, but I'm waiting for a five-color angel to come along.  I still think Maelstrom Archangel should have been legendary.

Have yet to see a :G: angel aside Maelstrom, Gabriel and Sigarda (and empyrial, apparently... AND Jenara O_O... OH AND Stoic...).  Why don't they just print a mono-green angel?

Umpteenth Edit - Mind you they could print a mono-blue angel as well.. 

I really want to build an Angelpalooza deck, but I'm waiting for a five-color angel to come along.  I still think Maelstrom Archangel should have been legendary.

A guy I play with built a five color angel deck led by Karona, since in the background, Karona used to be Akroma.  I only saw him cast his general once though.
Yeah I was going to suggest the False God, he would make things interesting to say the least.
I've had some cool things happen when a mass wipe (eg: decree of annihilation) resolves and some O-ringed something powerful owned.

Also, had one funny surprise a while ago...I won a game because my last remaining opponent didn't notice that blade splicer gives sundering titan first strike. The funny part is that I didn't notice either - we actually played out the combat phase both thinking he'd trample over sunders for the win, until an observer pointed out the error of our ways
Isnt sundering on the ban list?
RPGtable username : RTiger
Have yet to see a :G: angel aside Maelstrom, Gabriel and Sigarda (and empyrial, apparently... AND Jenara O_O... OH AND Stoic...).  Why don't they just print a mono-green angel?

Umpteenth Edit - Mind you they could print a mono-blue angel as well.. 

They kinda did...
Isnt sundering on the ban list?

It probably wasn't at the time.

Coulda been topical as well, everyone here is a devil's advocate anyways.
It was before the banning.

This. Is. Awesome.

I recently had two fun stories of my own.

Nin, The Pain Artist - I had Altar of Dementia out, late game post board-wipe, with 13 lands.  My opponent casts Precursor Golem.  I kick Rite of Replication on the Precursor, then cast Traitorous Instinct on it, gaining control of all golems, giving them +2+0, and haste ueot.  I swing at him with them to kill him, then sac the rest to mill the rest of my opponents.

Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer - Again, late game.  I had Nim Deathmantle, Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power, Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer and an active Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle all out.  And I had Solemn Simulacrum in my hand.  Over the next two turns, I cast Simulacrum, tutored-into-play a mountain to deal 3 damage, sac Simulacrum to slobad (draw a card), recur with Deathmantle, rinse, repeat.
I machine-gunned every basic Mountain out of my deck, and whittled away the remaining life points of my opponents.

This. Is. Awesome.

I recently had two fun stories of my own.

Nin, The Pain Artist - I had Altar of Dementia out, late game post board-wipe, with 13 lands.  My opponent casts Precursor Golem.  I kick Rite of Replication on the Precursor, then cast Traitorous Instinct on it, gaining control of all golems, giving them +2+0, and haste ueot.  I swing at him with them to kill him, then sac the rest to mill the rest of my opponents.

Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer - Again, late game.  I had Nim Deathmantle, Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power, Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer and an active Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle all out.  And I had Solemn Simulacrum in my hand.  Over the next two turns, I cast Simulacrum, tutored-into-play a mountain to deal 3 damage, sac Simulacrum to slobad (draw a card), recur with Deathmantle, rinse, repeat.
I machine-gunned every basic Mountain out of my deck, and whittled away the remaining life points of my opponents.

^ Beautiful!
It was mean (when is it ever not) running my Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper deck I had played Mycoloth devoured 2 creatures two turns later dropped Thromok the Insatiable ate 7 tokens following turn Tectonic Rift swing for 49 with Thromok GG.
I have two from tonight.

So, first I was playing with Savra, Queen of the golgari. It's a b/g reanimator. I turn one land, sol ring, skullclamp, turn two Jarad's orders for a bloodghast. Suddenly all of my lands read ''Enters the battlefield tapped and when this land enters the battlefield, draw two cards." After a while of that, I get a lord of extinction out as a 20/20, then disciple of bolas it for 20. Discard huge. Next turn, reanimate the Lord who's now a 42/42 or something, a terastodon and some other unfair stuff and I was just like lolyup that's how I do it. I had 37 cards left in my library by that time.

Next, I was playing with my Wrexial deck. I was playing against a rakdos, lord of riots deck demon tribal coolstuff deck. So I start the game with a sygg, river cutthroat and a hypnotic specter for early pressure. By sometime around whenever, I get a sphinx ambassador out and it lives. I swing next turn after tutoring up a bribery with my liliana vess. Now, everytime I get the chance with my friend to take crap out of his deck, I take his demon of death's gate because it's super powerful flying evasion doesn't take shirt from no one card. So I knew he was gonna say "Demon of death's gate" When I hit him with the sphinx. So I choose Kuro, pitlord, his other don't take shirt from no one card. Then I bribery his demon of death's gate. Then we sat in a hottub. It was a fun night.

I bonded a Snapcaster Mage with a Deadeye Navigator in my Sygg, River Cutthroat deck. Giving stuff flashback is fun :D
At our local PTQ (which I did horribly at, my limited deckbuilding skills are poo) we had EDH side tournaments.  I did not win either of them, but I did get Deadeye Navigator and Draining Whelk in the first and Mana Drained a Gilded Lotus in the second game on opponent's turn three to put out a Rasputin Dreamweaver, Steel Hellkite and a Sword of Fire and Ice on my third turn.