Home brew Zombie Apocalypse world

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone I am new to being a GM and I was hoping some of you could help me find something that would help me flesh out a Zombie Apocalypse Campain for me and my friends to play. I would like something using the AD&D base and then just modernise it as a preferable style.
If anyone knows anywhere I can find information that would save me the time and energy of making all the stats and rolls my self for every general situation I would ever so grateful. 
Something Feral I'm not sure what kind of Zombie Apocalyse you are going for. Is it the Corpses rising from fresh graves kind of Zombie Apocalypse or is it the Feral Virus causing your pet dog and owners to crave raw flesh and chase people around cities kind of Zombie Apocalypse?

What has caused the Zombie Apocalypse?

• The Guardian of the Dead has decided to let the dead seek vengance on the living.

• The God of Plagues has decided to thin the herd with a Feral Plague. 

• The PCs have despoiled the wrong temple and angered an Elder God.

• The Gods are dead and the Dead have Risen from their slumber.

How did things get so bad?

• The Clerics have been cut off from their gods at the worst possible time and its going to last a year (or forever on account of clerics being fighters with maces).

• A necromancer has been stockpiling Zombies for almost a century and has unleashed them in their hundreds of Thousands.

• Everyone thought it was just flu but when pets and people started killing people and eating them all across the Kingdom we realized too late there was a problem.

A Template for the Feral Plague
 FERAL ZOMBIE TEMPLATE: Speed +20, Feral Plague (DC20 Fortitude check for every bite)Infection is certain and takes two failed Fortitude checks to turn the victim into Feral Zombie.

The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Thanks for the reply. And I want it in a modern day style with the virus.Like how the Walking Dead has it. I want to be able to tell the PC's that they are in the current city we are playing in or in some other city what do they do kind of thing.Does that make sense?
Sure. So what are you looking at? A chase through the chaotic city during the outbreak/incursion as zombies pour over the walls? Will the PCs try and escape death by fleeing the city through the Sewers?

Draw up a maze of tunnels with knee and waste deep sewage...slap in some diseases, rats, snakes,  spiders, and a few Zombies who discovered the tunnels. Dont think 2D think 3D where there has been a tunnel collapse and they must surface to get to the next tunnel section...
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
It will get boring for the players fairly quickly if they are just fighting a bunch of zombies of the same type all the time.  Lots of undead types to choose from in D+D.  You mentioned that you wanted it like a virus.  You could have it that different stages of the virus mutates the dead into different types.  Maybe mages trying to find a cure accidentally create some brutal new types.

Definitely have other groups of survivors that are either friend or foe.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

On Halloween I had my players make characters for a Zombie themed session, except they didn't know what to expect and their character choices were basically random. Now we're stretching it into a mini-campaign.

I won't go into detail how everything was set up, but catching on to Dudibus' point about repetition being boring, I'll just mention that if you have your players set in time of the virus outbreak, they can easily encounter special units/ forces (SWAT, military, etc.) sweeping the streets leaving no survivors. This generally brings confusion and makes them wander around with greater caution.  Another surviving groups, as Dudibus also mentioned, are another option where PCs never know if they can trust these new people or if they want them in "the party" at all. Also, barricading is another thing they'll have to do if they want to survive, even more so with zombies quick on their feet, and once they're barricaded there's always a chance someone got bitten while running away from the zombies. Continuing the thought, it's only a matter of time before the infected person turns against others. Generally, I think zombie campaigns where virus or other "transmittable" cause is present are best played at slower pace to let players make connections with each other and with whatever NPC comes around. That way losses matter and PCs can experience the whole process of turning which I prefer being slow but certain.

Saw Abraham Lincon vs Zombies. Though it is a cheap low budget 'B' film, there is some effort to make it a good story. Its the slow moving Zombies in huge numbers that really does it for you.