Regenarate question

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi!
It's my opponents turn and I have Loxodon Hierarch in play. My opponent plays Terror on it. I sac him to his ability. If my opponent plays Wrath of God this turn will my other creatures be destroyed?
Thanks!
yes, because Wrath of God prevents regeneration
if it was Day of Judgment your creatures (that were on the battlefield when you sacrificed the Hierarch) will be regenerated
proud member of the 2011 community team
Wrath of god specifically says the creatures can't be regenerated, so they won't be regenerated.

On the other hand, if Day of Judgment was cast, the creatures will regenerate. Loxodon hierarch's ability places a regeneration "shield" around each of your creatures. That shield lasts until the end of turn and can be effective even if loxodon hierarch has been dead for a while.
Slightly off topic, but don't you need one instance of the regenerate ability for each death, and in that order.

If I spend 4 black mana to regenerate my Drudge Skeleton just for the hell of it, and then on the same turn it gets killed, 

won't I have to put up another 'regeneration shield' as the other 4 have triggered on the 1st death,

the 1st being relevant and the other 3 irrelivant other than say the opponent casting instants to destroy it again within the stack per instance.

After that 1st death and resolution of the ability and stack, won't I have to regenerate it again if it dies again on the same turn?

or are people refering to the wording of the regeneration ability as 'regeneration shield' since each instace of it lasts until the end of the turn... to

help people in their confusion with the timing of the ability?

ex : The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn
each "death" just uses up 1 shield
in your scenario it will still have 3 left

the reason for this is that you choose the order in which to apply replacement effects (such as regeneration)
after the first regeneration shield is applied the creature is no longer destroyed, so the other 3 cannot do anything, so they'll continue to wait around for the next time the creature is destroyed
So they all don't trigger at the same time.

Do they become 'state based' abilities or something once resolved off of the stack?
they don't trigger at all

as I said, they are replacement effects
they try to apply to the event (creature is destroyed), but they have to apply in order, not at the same time
after the first shield is applied the event no longer exists (because the creature is no longer destroyed) so they are not used up and wait around for the next event
Well perhaps you understand the question I am asking, or at least why I'm asking it.

I'm essentially trying to see what space such 'shields' exist in, as this seems to be specifically uniqe to how the regenerate ability works.

Is it specifically because of the wording of the regenerate ability ... and are there any other like instances of such wording within other mechanics?

or does the wording of the ability put these replacement effects into an already existing legitimate space within the mtg game?
this is true for any replacement effect that looks for the "next event"
for example if you activate Words of Wind multiple times each player still only has to return 1 permanent per card you draw, because the first replacement effect replaces the draw and the next replacement effects now lost the event they were looking for

Rune of Protection: Red also works like this

and there are countless other cards that follow this template
So if I spent 5 black mana on my Drudge Skeleton, the 5 regeneration "shields" stay on for no specific time, like until end of turn?
until end of turn
Regeneration shields only last until end of turn.  If you activate Drudge Skeletons' ability five times, the shields will last until the end step.

Rules Advisor

That's what I thought.  Maybe I was reading too much into the answer.  Thanks.
To clarify, the reason it is until end of turn is because it says so in the regeneration rules:

701.12a If the effect of a resolving spell or ability regenerates a permanent, it creates a replacement effect that protects the permanent the next time it would be destroyed this turn. In this case, “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.”
Sign In to post comments