The Megadungeon - Initial Interest [group build]

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
First off lets discuss what kind of dungeon we would like:

TWENTY DUNGEON ARCHETYPES

• The Cell: Existing entirely within the mind of the victim, this dungeon is filled with every possible fear harboured by the Adventurer.

• Dorian’s Cave: This cave harbours a dark secret. It feeds off you taking more and more the longer you dwell within its depths.

• The Bunker: A fortified position overlooking the outside world where the enemy stands, you only discover too late that the Evil without is nothing compared to the evil further in.

• Containment Failure: This is the all terrible laboratory harbouring a dark virus that has got loose along with an army of Zombie infected.

• The Feeding Tube: This Dungeon seems little more than a funnel designed to direct potential food into the maw of some terrible super-entity like Dagon, lord of the Sea.

• Maze-works: A confused network of tesseract rooms and stairways that wind in all directions forever.

• Oubliette:  A deep dark hole with the only way in or out the trapdoor in the ceiling. Something that can only be opened from the outside.

• Mirror-land: Every mirror you pass through is a dimensional portal into a new Universe.

• Cube: This moving room is one of many shifting through a three dimensional lattice. Only when the Rooms are in Particular positions do they seem to have traps that activate.

• Hellgate: A door between the normal world and Hell itself. Worse still, the Hellgate can only be locked from the inside.

• The Collapse: The Hewn or Natural Cave network is a terrible and dangerous place where Subsidence has made survival a problem.

• Cheese and the Hamster: The Adventurer is the prey being stalked by a ‘worst case scenario’ predator.

• Infestation: Similar to Cheese and the Hamster, this is an overwhelming number of the nasty monsters which if not stopped, will only get worse.

• The Prison: This is a vast Dungeon filled with prisoners and guards. Escape is almost impossible.

• Sewer: Deep beneath the city is a vast network of tunnels filled with crocodiles, rats, snakes, and faecal matter.

• The Cistern: A vast water-store beneath a Metropolis that has secret vaults and aquatic beasts. All of which can only be reached by a small rickety rowboat.

• The Necropolis: A Catacombs of the dead and Undead.

• The Tunnel: Cut through the Earth, it serves as a link to some otherwise inaccessible far off place.

• Underdark: This is a vast network of natural and hewn caves, caverns, tunnels, seas, and rivers extending far beneath the earth.

• Hollow World: This Cavern is so large it has its own Sun at the centre of the world.

The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Map Tiles 

Should we have hextile cards that can be laid out in any configuration allowing them to be used to generate a different 'maze' each time? How about fifty-two rooms and forty eight intersections and direction changes?

The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Hi Dingo, I notice there hasn't been much traction on your thread but I think it's a great idea and would love to help. I would've replied sooner but I haven't visited these parts in quite some time.

As for theme, at first I was a bit put off by the "Mirror-land" theme as it seemed like it would be a bit too chaotic for my tastes. However, upon a second perusal of the options I thought deeper about the option and feel that it has potential for a great variety of things to throw at an adventuring group. Therefore, I'd like to cast my vote for Mirror-land.

With the way I was thinking that Mirror-land might play out, I'm not sure if a randomly generated maze that differs each time would work. However, that does play in the natural chaos of such a dungeon so how about a semi-random theme? Picture this; we lay out different "zones" in the dungeon that are homes to different universes that the mirrors lead to. Within each zone, the grid is randomized as you mentioned, with different options for each zone for different play throughs?

Again, that's just me spouting off about my ideas, if you're not down with mirror-land that's cool with me. 
Hi Dingo, I notice there hasn't been much traction on your thread but I think it's a great idea and would love to help. I would've replied sooner but I haven't visited these parts in quite some time.

As for theme, at first I was a bit put off by the "Mirror-land" theme as it seemed like it would be a bit too chaotic for my tastes. However, upon a second perusal of the options I thought deeper about the option and feel that it has potential for a great variety of things to throw at an adventuring group. Therefore, I'd like to cast my vote for Mirror-land.

With the way I was thinking that Mirror-land might play out, I'm not sure if a randomly generated maze that differs each time would work. However, that does play in the natural chaos of such a dungeon so how about a semi-random theme? Picture this; we lay out different "zones" in the dungeon that are homes to different universes that the mirrors lead to. Within each zone, the grid is randomized as you mentioned, with different options for each zone for different play throughs?

Again, that's just me spouting off about my ideas, if you're not down with mirror-land that's cool with me. 

Mirror-Land is one of the hard ones - it might mean a single dungeon area or cluster represent some other universe...the prospect of wandering into the middle of a blizard on ice planet hoth and being acosted by a wooly horned yeti is just as viable as winding up in the underdark being chased by Forgotton Realms drow back through the Portal to some other place in some other universe. Keep in mind two mirrors on opposite walls in the broom closet of a certain Wizard of Shadowdale...having to apologize to the Wizard for 'passing through'.
Well I'd venture to guess that ol' Elminster would get a kick out of that, depending on what he's up to at the moment :D

i do agree though that the scope of the work to be done is a bit large, however I believe it could end up having a great end result.

When you mention the idea of an area of the dungeon representing a distinct universe, this is exactly what I had in mind. The thought being that there are a variety of areas/universes in the dungeon. 
Well I'd venture to guess that ol' Elminster would get a kick out of that, depending on what he's up to at the moment :D

i do agree though that the scope of the work to be done is a bit large, however I believe it could end up having a great end result.

When you mention the idea of an area of the dungeon representing a distinct universe, this is exactly what I had in mind. The thought being that there are a variety of areas/universes in the dungeon. 

This kind of Mapping project is best served as maps for confining areas and a nodal network map with a lot of notes as to what is where.

So are you interested in pursuing it? Like I said, I'm totally fine with trying something else, I was just throwing out my initial opinion.
Alternatively, I like the idea of the "Cheese and the Hamster" dungeon. A few key points I would enjoy seeing would be: 

1. The monster would seem to at first be way out of the player's league, but for some pre-determined reason they are stuck in the situation with defeat of the monster being their avenue of escape.

2. Several areas of the dungeon allow the player's to gain some type of aid against the monster. These could come in the form of NPCs, special equipment, strategy, weaknesses, etc.

3. Since this type of dungeon seems like it would excel at playing up horror elements, I think the player's should stumple upon the results of the creatures previous work or even "work in progress." This makes me wonder if it would be more interesting if at any given time their are more than just the player's party being hunted. 

So are you interested in pursuing it? Like I said, I'm totally fine with trying something else, I was just throwing out my initial opinion.

Lets hope we get more interest...