Can monsters intimidate players?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obviously, monsters can and will go through the roleplaying aspect of intimidation; an ogre's yell, a dragon's glance, threats and so forth.   But can a monster, by the rules, actually force any of the effects of intimidation upon the players?

According to the PHB 1, a player can use intimidation to force a bloodied target to surrender, or get an enemy to reveal secrets, or force other actions.   Can a monster force a PC to do any of these through a successful intimidation check?

I know there are abilities like fear and dominate which can force PCs to certain actions, but I'm strictly referring to the intimidate ability as written.

Personally, as a DM, I'm not crazy about forcing a PC to do anything outside of responding to certain abilities (like fear).   I'm curious where the rules stand on this and where other players do as well.
Can a monster force a PC to do any of these through a successful intimidation check?

Nope.

(although, the players might work with the DM if she had something in mind) 

I can see why you would say no, as taking a player out of combat sucks for the player bit are there any rules to back this up.
Yes. Intimidate specifically say that Monsters can’t intimidate adventurers.

RC 147 Intimidate: An adventurer can make an Intimidate check to influence others through hostile actions, overt threats, or deadly persuasion. (Monsters can’t intimidate adventurers.)

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter