!FLUSH'S RANDOM STEAM 1V1 TOURNAMENT #2

203 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to !Flush's (that's me) 2nd Tournament!

OUR NEW CHAMPION:  4N0TH1N9!!  CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME:  SHIN HITOKIRI VS. 4N0TH1N9, ROUND 1:

Shin Hitokiri  ----->  Gruul, Jace, Golgari
4n0th1n9  ----->  Izzet, Garruk, Chandra

SHIN HITOKIRI VS. 4N0TH1N9, ROUND 2:

Shin Hitokiri  ----->  Nefarox, Odric, Golgari
4n0th1n9  ----->  Gruul, Simic, Chandra

If Shin wins, he is our new Champion.  If 4n0th1n9 wins we go to Championship Game Round 2 where the winner of that will be our new Champion.
Great job to both these contenders, as only the best who have fought through all adversity make it to this final match!  Good luck and have fun!!

HOLIDAY PRIZE:  TBA

Note:  I just want to encourage everyone to help eachother practice!  There's nothing better for competition than friendly encounters. ;)  Last tournament some of us would get together and play with and against the decks we are to face for eachother and it worked out great!  So don't hesitate to look one of us up on the Steam The Paneswalking Dead Group for me or any of the other participants for some practice!  We have a lot of solidly good players and competitors in this competition, so if you are new, don't hesitate to ask for help!  Most of us don't bite...most... ;)

Daily Updates
 12/12/2012!!  I will routinely erase the previous update every day (when I wake up and look on the board for the first time, anywhere from 7am-10am Pacific) to recap yesterday's wins and losses, etc.  Both Championship games came down to the wire in all games it looked like.  Truly epic games between two of the top players playing DotP in Steam.  Congratulations 4n0th1n9 and even Shin and Garet for being the top players of !Flush's Steam Tournament #2!

TIME SCALE UPDATE 12/12/2012:  New decks!?  We got a Champion!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW CHALLONGE BRACKET

THE TOURNAMENT HAS BEGUN!  11/15/2012  ENDED:  12/12/2012 

I believe that a good player can play ANY deck vs. ANY deck and win (more times than not).  This is why I am running a random deck tournament.  To test who has the ultimate skills in DotP.  Each player will play vs. another player in a double elimination Challonge bracket, playing the best 2 out of 3 games.  As mentioned in the title, this is a ONE VS ONE tournament.

How do we know it is random?  I'll make sure it is, trust me, it is not hard.  If you do not trust me, do not sign up.  Before each match I will randomly pick TWO decks from the entire deck pool, this includes ALL expansions and deck packs currently being used at the time the tournament begins.  A change this time around for veterans of !Flush's first tournament ever.  A third deck will be rolled from a chosen favorite color from each player.  I will then choose a random deck from a pool of decks that use your favorite color (duel land decks included).  When you sign up, declare a favorite color, you can also declare "no favorite color" for the 3rd deck to be random from all decks if you so choose.  No one will use the same deck within each match, all though both opponents CAN end up with some of the same decks. For example, !Flush vs. Anon: !Flush can have Krenko, Anon can have Krenko, but neither one can have Krenko "twice".

To add a twist to this random deck element, out of the 3 decks randomly chosen, you choose which decks to play when.  Once a deck is chosen, it cannot be played again for the rest of the games within that match.  Let me explain in a little greater detail below:

Its me (!Flush on Steam) vs. Anon.

For !Flush the random decks he has access to include: Krenko, Boros, & Rakdos.

For Anon the random decks he/she has access to include: Odric, Yeva, & Azorius.  Decks randomly chosen for each player will be listed on the forums, updated in this original post as we move along.  Which decks the player chooses when will only be known when the match begins (outside a 3rd match if it is played, as there will be only 1 deck left to choose from).

!Flush and Anon play the best 2 out of 3 to see who wins.

!Flush & Anon can choose any of the 3 decks that they randomly received.  Say for the first round !Flush chooses Boros and Anon chooses Odric.

Since I'm !Flush...We'll say I win the first round :P.  Each player now plays a 2nd round.  !Flush now has Krenko and Rakdos to choose from.  Anon now has Yeva and Azorius to choose from.

We will say !Flush picks Rakdos, Anon picks Yeva.

If !Flush wins, its 2-0 and he won the match, on to the next opponent.  If he loses, a 3rd round is now the deciding and final round in who moves on and who ends up in the loser bracket or eliminated if this is their 2nd loss.  Now the only option left for !Flush is Krenko while Anon will be using his/her last option with Azorius.  After !Fush and Anon play, their next games will be with a new set of 3 randomly chosen decks against their new opponents.  Unless it was someone's second loss, then they are gone for good.

Please, if you have no extra time, do not sign to participate and have only one or 2 days with one or 2 hours of availabilty.  If one or 2 people continually hold up everyone else they may be asked to concede the tournament.  Hopefully this does not happen.  Just try to be considerate of others and complete matches in a timely fashion.  If this will likely be a problem, then please refrain from joining.

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF TOURNAMENT PLAYERS:
Show
I will update the list as more people sign up.

!Flush  ----->  Green
Kangermu  ----->  None
lawsy2003 pinoymtg  ----->  Black
Tecnotronics  ----->  Green
Shin Hitokiri*  ----->  Black
Garet Jax  ----->  Black
Kupo Trooper  ----->  Blue
dh50  ----->  Blue
Drogo*  ----->  None
Wizards_Sean  ----->  None
DuWease  ----->  Black
Garren_Windspear*  ----->  White
4n0th1n9*  ----->  Red
Grunthex  ----->  White
Paranon  ----->  Blue
blsbloodbath  ----->  Red

Players will be crossed out as they are eliminated.
* Player using Deck Pack 2 decks with random rolls.

When signing up please list the following:  The name you appear as on Steam, your timezone, the best available hours for you to play, your favorite color to play as in DotP ("none" can be an option if you so wish).   It should look something like this:

Steam name: !Flush
Timezone: Pacific/-800 GMT
Available Hours: 8am-8pm: All day every day.
Favorite Color: Green.

PLEASE JOIN The Planeswalking Dead group on Steam to be able to better communicate with other players via Steam as well as on this Forum.

PLEASE POST wins and losses in bold red font and be clear and consise. It should look like this: !Flush defeats Anon 2-1.  

Decks will be released in the following order:  Winner's Bracket Round 1, Loser's Bracket Round 1, Winner's Bracket Round 2, Loser's Bracket Round 2, Loser's Bracket Round 3, Winner's Bracket Round 3, Loser's Bracket Round 4, Loser's Bracket Round 5, Winner's Bracket Round 4, Loser's Bracket Round 6, Championship Game 1, Championship Game 2 (if needed).

The following decks are being used in the tournament (this will update as we move along):

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 1 (A-H):

Show

Tecnotronics  ----->  Ajani, Simic, Garruk
Drogo  ----->  Liliana, Azorius, Simic

blsbloodbath  ----->  Simic, Rakdos, Chandra
Garet Jax  ----->  Azorius, Yeva, Rakdos

Kangermu  ----->  Selesnya, Talrand, Garruk
DuWease  ----->  Odric, Jace, Liliana

Kupo Trooper  ----->  Golgari, Liliana, Azorius
4n0th1n9  ----->  Krenko, Garruk, Izzet

dh50  ----->  Odric, Selesnya, Azorius
Wizards_Sean  ----->  Garruk, Odric, Krenko

Paranon  ----->  Izzet, Chandra, Talrand
Grunthex  ----->  Jace, Odric, Nefarox

Shin Hirokiri  ----->  Simic, Ajani, Golgari
lawsy2003 pinoymtg  ----->  Liliana, Golgari, Rakdos

!Flush  ----->  Yeva, Chandra, Golgari
Garren_Windspear  ----->  Jace, Azorius, Ajani

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 1:
Show

Paranon  ----->  Liliana, Rakdos, Jace
dh50  ----->  Talrand, Azorius, Simic

Garren_Windspear  ----->  Yeva, Garruk, Selesnya
lawsy2003 pinoymtg  ----->  Nefarox, Izzet, Golgari

blsbloodbath  ----->  Rakdos, Krenko, Chandra
Drogo  ----->  Ajani, Krenko, Nefarox

4n0th1n9  ----->  Chandra, Krenko, Boros
DuWease  ----->  Selesnya, Azorius, Golgari

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 2 (I-L):
Show

Tecnotronics  ----->  Boros, Nefarox, Yeva
Garet Jax  ----->  Krenko, Simic, Rakdos

Kangermu  ----->  Azorius, Krenko, Ajani
Kupo Trooper  ----->  Ajani, Azorius, Jace

Wizards_Sean  ----->  Ajani, Chandra, Golgari
Grunthex  ----->  Krenko, Liliana, Boros

Shin Hitokiri  ----->  Rakdos, Ajani, Nefarox
!Flush  ----->  Talarand, Rakdos, Golgari

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 2:
Show

Tecnotronics  ----->  Garruk, Golgari, Simic
Paranon  ----->  Liliana, Azorius, Jace

Kupo Trooper  ----->  Nefarox, Boros, Talrand
Garren_Windspear  ----->  Liliana, Golgari, Nefarox

Wizards_Sean  ----->  Chandra, Selesnya, Liliana
Drogo  ----->  Ajani, Talrand, Chandra

!Flush  ----->  Rakdos, Jace, Yeva
4n0th1n9  ----->  Krenko, Liliana, Izzet

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 3 (M & N):
Show

Garet Jax  ----->  Simic, Izzet, Rakdos
Kangermu  ----->  Selesnya, Garruk, Liliana

Grunthex  ----->  Rakdos, Izzet, Azorius
Shin Hitokirir  ----->  Chandra, Boros, Rakdos

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 3:
Show

Paranon  ----->  Liliana, Chandra, Izzet
Garren_Windspear  ----->  Selesnya, Simic, Azorius

Drogo  ----->  Nefarox, Krenko, Garruk
4n0th1n9  ----->  Izzet, Garruk, Chandra

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 4:
Show

Grunthex  ----->  Boros, Jace, Azorius
Garren_Windspear  ----->  Orzhov, Talrand, Boros

Kangermu  ----->  Izzet, Nefarox, Boros
4n0th1n9  ----->  Orzhov, Garruk, Izzet

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 4 (O):
Show

Garet Jax  ----->  Rakdos, Nefarox, Liliana
Shin Hitokirir  ----->  Liliana, Izzet, Orzhov

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 5:
Show

Garren_Windspear  ----->  Garruk, Chandra, Boros
4n0th1n9  ----->  Rakdos, Krenko, Gruul

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 6 (Final Round):
Show

Garet Jax  ----->  Chandra, Simic, Nefarox
4n0th1n9  ----->  Talrand, Azorius, Gruul

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I'm game...missed out on every other one of these.

Steam name: Kangermu

Timezone: Central America (GMT -6....same as Central)
Available Hours: Every day, hour or two around noon, nights after 6 EST
Favorite Color: None

Steam name: lawsy2003 pinoymtg

Timezone: EST

Available Hours: Every day, hour or two mornings, nights after 10pm

Favorite Color: black
I'll join!

Steam: Tecnotronics
Timezone: PST (west coast USA)
Available Hours: 6pm to 2am ideally
Favorite color: green

I had trouble in the tournament at the end of the summer, meeting up with peeps from Europe and such for a few weeks while I was working on houses.  I hope I can attend ALL the matches this time until I win with the 2 and out system!
About when are you hoping for all the first matches to be done?  I'd love to take a swing at adding another runner-up finish to my almost-accomplishments, but I'm going to be at a conference until Wednesday.
Steam name: Shin Hitokiri
Timezone: Eastern
Available Hours: 9 p.m. to 12 p.m. Mon to Fri (Sat and Sun more open)  
Favorite Color: Black
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
Steam name: Garet Jax
Timezone: Eastern
Available Hours: Typically anytime after 4pm weekdays and weekends I'm open all the time, just need to pre-plan it.
Favorite Color: Black
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

To be honest I don't like the idea of a random deck, unless it's built into the game. I am sure you have good intensions but this gives one person too much power. It would be better to let people pick three different decks of their choosing. Then pick who you match them up with randomly.

Kraven, that makes no sense, the randomising will probably be done by a computer and if that its not enough we have a problem. The pairings will be randomised the same way

To be honest I don't like the idea of a random deck, unless it's built into the game. I am sure you have good intensions but this gives one person too much power. It would be better to let people pick three different decks of their choosing. Then pick who you match them up with randomly.

We all just finished a random deck Tourney that Flush hosted and NOBODY who participated had any compaints on the randomness of it. Having a fav color even makes it less random than the last one.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
Well g'wan then, it'd be rude not to!

Steam Name: Kupo Trooper
Time Zone: GMT
Best available times: Anytime on the weekends, evenings (GMT, so mid-afternoon onward across the pond?) on weekdays only
Favourite colour: Blue (even though the blue decks aren't the best, especially AZORIUS, and aren't my faves apart from Crosswinds, I'd like to represent da best colour!)

Slightly disappointed in how many people are choosing black, as it has the strongest pool of decks, but it doesn't really matter in the long run. Can't wait for this!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Can I play guys?

Steam Name: Garren_Windspear
Time Zone: GMT (Europe)
Best Available Times: Almost all weekdays (11pm-6am) and most weekends. Usually works out about mid-afternoon in America.
Favourite Colour: White (cause everyone is picking Black)

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

Wooo!  We have a lot of people already!

Perhaps Kraven missed the part where I say "If you do not trust me, do not join."  A lot of people DO like the random tournament w/o an in-game randomness.  Join if you wish, leave this thread if you do not.  It makes 0 difference to me.  That being said, I wish they did have an in-game random option, but this is not the time or thread to discuss such an option.  There's a couple good threads out there that already discuss this topic.

As far as when I start the tourney, it will probably be a couple days after sign up is complete.  I wouldn't worry about not being here until Weds.  I also want to mention that during the Thanksgiving holiday I will not be worried about timelines as I know it is a time to visit family.  If matches get done, that's fine, if not, that's fine to until the holiday is over.  My original idea was to start the tourney November 28th, I may start earlier if enough people join before then.  That's something I wouldn't mind discussing with everyone else, we could just stick to the November 28th date if that seems reasonable to everyone else.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

I'd like to join, the earlier tournament was a blast and you ran it very well.  Plus I should have zero scheduling issues this time.

steam name: dh50
time zone: eastern (US)
best available times: any, but evenings are best
favorite color: blue 
Sure, I'll play again.

Steam: Drogo
EST
Availability: Most evenings, weekends.
Favourite colour:  no preference

Edit:  Changed favourite colour to no preference.

WOO! Thank you minddrifter for running this tournament. I'm in!

Steam Name: Wizards_Sean
Time Zone: Pacific Time (UTC -08:00)
Best Available Times: Weekdays
Fav. Color: NONE! Spin that crazy wheel, minddrifter.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

No problem Sean!  I really enjoyed hosting the last one, I can't wait to get this one underway!  I also want to thank everyone who is coming back for my 2nd tourney and the kind words spoken about the first go around. ;)

Alright, I'm definitely in then.. how could I not be!

Steam Name: DuWease
Time Zone: Eastern Time
Best Available Times: Evenings
Fav. Color: Hmmm.. 

Let's see, I wanna say Blue, but I reaaaally don't wanna play Azorius more than I have to.  So that and white are right out.  Red, Green, and Black..   all good choices.  Tempted to say red, but don't really wanna play Krenko or Izzet.  Green doesn't have any decks I object to, but with everyone choosing black it's probably an uphill battle.  Guess I've gotta say black.  Guess it turns out without forced randomness I just choose with the crowd.. I'm starting to second-guess this favorite color thing

So Fav. Color:  Black 
LOL, ya...I saw this overwhelming black pick coming.  Surprised to not see anyone pick Red yet.  This will be an experiment of sorts and if it doesn't work out well it won't be used again.  I still really like the idea (thanks Kupo Trooper) and I hope it turns out to be fun!

Already 12 people joined, only 4 more slots available!

I don't think the fav color Black thing will be an issue as most blue decks have advantage over black decks (not to mention Black has like 5 or 6 different decks). All the other colors are strong so I don't see any issues though I'm surprised nobody has picked Red or Green yet. I was originally going to go for Blue but I played it A LOT last random tourney :D
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I picked Green. ;)  Oh, so did Tecnotronic looking back.

My favorites are green and blue, but my favorite deck is the burn :P

But regardless of that, I just spin the wheel every time I play anyways. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Either way, it's generally a lot of fun. 
Perhaps the favorite color thing could be used in a 'mulligan' sort of sense to be more fair. If your 'random' deck doesn't contain the chosen color, then you get a free spin. The second spin would be final, however.....
I agree Kanger, I pretty much always "spin the wheel" myself.  As Wizards_Sean said "Spin that wheel!" ;P

I picked Green. ;)  Oh, so did Tecnotronic looking back.

True looks like I missed that :D  Red is gonna be fairly nasty with Krenko, Chandra, Rakdos, Boros, and Izzet for whoever pick those too.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

We all just finished a random deck Tourney that Flush hosted and NOBODY who participated had any compaints on the randomness of it. Having a fav color even makes it less random than the last one.

Well Shin you aren't entirely correct about that. When Flush and I were brainstorming this idea, I expressed the exact same concerns as Kraven. Also I had my own complaints during the tournament. But I voiced them through steam and not the boards (Flush knows, again sorry mate). But to counter the concerns people might have Flush was right to follow up with a:
How do we know it is random?  I'll make sure it is, trust me, it is not hard.  If you do not trust me, do not sign up.

Now moving on to the last order of business. As Drogo said after I asked if he'd join this tournament "what choice do we have?" - referring to any other tournaments being run on steam currently. So I'm in.

Steam name: 4n0th1n9
Time zone: EST
Available hours: Mon - Thur, after 11 pm est. Fri - Sun, more or less anytime.
Favorite color: Red it is!
Lol Psycho, I suppose joining due to lack of any other choices works, thanks for the "compliment". ;P  I should choose your favorite color Psycho so you have even less choice!  But sure, think on it some more, I don't mind. ;)

Lol Psycho, I suppose joining due to lack of any other choices works, thanks for the "compliment". ;P  I should choose your favorite color Psycho so you have even less choice!  But sure, think on it some more, I don't mind. ;)

I was actually thinking to ask for you or someone to choose a color for me. So go for it, once it's picked I'll edit the post.
Perhaps the favorite color thing could be used in a 'mulligan' sort of sense to be more fair. If your 'random' deck doesn't contain the chosen color, then you get a free spin. The second spin would be final, however.....

I like that idea too, it is too late for this tournament, but perhaps in my next one.

Ok Psycho, I'm assigning you Red because no one else has chosen it.  Have fun!

I like that idea too, it is too late for this tournament, but perhaps in my next one.

I participated in a random deck tourney for the X360 recently, and the organizer (megamaster125, I believe) spun the wheel for each participant and gave them their deck. That was a great idea as well.....
Ya, megamaster typically seems to know what he is doing.  I tend to agree with him most the time on most matters in this forum.  I enjoy the random mechanics I have in my tournament though.  Also, as to not flood this post with ideas, I actually have a post for ideas if anyone wishes to continue this conversation.  For now I'd like to keep things less crowded.

Why have I not signed up for this yet?  Geeze, my auto-poster must be broken!

Steam Name: Grunthex
Time Zone: MST
Availability: Almost anytime you want if you ask in advance, otherwise generally online anytime that's not pre-noon.
Favorite Color: Really want to choose white, as there are 3 decks I really really like.  But 2 I really don't.  What the heck.  White.
Lol Grunt, you should mention that in the post that asks what we would like for our top 3 changes in next DotP, "I want an auto-include function for !Flush's tournaments!" ;P

We only have TWO more slots open and the sign up has not even reached 24 hours yet!  This is awesome.  We may be beginning sooner than I anticipated. ;)

I'd be up for this.  Last one sounded like fun.

Steam name: Paranon
Timezone: EST (US)
Available Hours: Mon-Fri: Pretty much whenever.  Sat-Sun: I'll need some advance notice to schedule, but I should be available whenever.
Favorite Color: Blue

One caveat, I'll be traveling for the holiday weekend and thus unavailable from Nov 21-25.  If that's going to cause issues for the tournament then I'll happily sit out and hope to tag in on the next one.
That won't be a problem, I will be slowing things down for the Holiday (Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years).  I wouldn't blame anyone for visting family and being absent.  I will not be able to visit my family this year for the first time in my 30 years here or I would be missing too!  If people have any problems with the Holidays slowing things down please do not join, and if you already have, then leave. ;P

Sign me up baby

Steam name: blsbloodbath
Timezone: -500 GMT
Available Hours: 5pm-12am
Favorite Color: Teal

Hey bls!  Welcome back!

That ends sign up as well, we're at 16!  I'll start rolling decks and post 'em up sometime today.

Edit: Decks posted!

@BlSBloodbath,

I'm on Steam playing Magic for another 90 minutes if you happen to sign on.  If not, then we can try tomorrow or over the weekend.  Thanks,   
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
@Kupo Trooper, hey there! Sorry for calling you out here, naturally I wouldn't. After trying to get a hold of you this morning on steam with a friend request and some messages, you never replied. Currently I'm at work so if you didn't add me, go ahead and do so. As for the time, for our match: I'm home tonight after 11 pm est, Fri-Sun I'm much more flexible.
For first timers to the tournament I want to stress the importance of ALWAYS going to the original post I made for new information every day.  Some days are slow, so there's nothing new...other days it is just the opposite.  I don't change everything, but I do recap the events of the last day every day, I add deck lists as we move along, as well as the updated link to the Bracket as we progress.  So always check my original post for new details and instructions moving forward!

That being said, I usually go ahead and make a post for stuff like deck lists, but sometimes even I make mistakes and forget. ;P

Lets get this train a rollin'!  Good luck everyone!