Observation

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If all you offer is continuous combat, of course your players are going to attack everything that moves.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
IMAGE(http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/LolaBonne/Forum%20Pics/Youdontsay-1.png)
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Never assume something is obvious to everybody.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
Never assume something is obvious to everybody.

I actually quite agree. I have seen DMs complain that they can't get their players to interact with everything...but when poked & prodded they reveal that they don't really offer up anything other than combat for their players. Just pinata after pinata full of treasure and XP to smash open.

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

In the same vein, if every old crone the PCs encounter turns out to be a hag, that old lady living near the swamp will be hacked to pieces the minute she invites them for a cup of tea.

And no player ever trusts a room with statues.
Basically, players don't like being got, so think carefully about playing gotcha.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

and people can get surprisingly angry if you DM differently to the way they do.

That reminds me of a campaign, way back in the 70s, where a PC wizard (at least 11th level in those days) had a favorite spell, Petrification. He would petrify everything he ran into; orcs, ogres, manticores, evil high priests, etc.

Until one day a band of wandering monsters, including a magic user of their own, ran into his lair (a nice cottage outside of town) with a nice sculpture garden. The MU had just learned Dispel Magic and was eager to try it out. So he did.

The just freed monsters made short work of the wizard, and headed off, telling the other group, "Thanks, his treasure's all yours."

My point: When you play a trick on an enemy that makes him helpless, make sure he remains helpless should someone come along to release him from his bondage.

But non-animated statues are a surefire way to make them nervous! 
Sign In to post comments