11/14/2012 LI: "Return to Ravnica Booster Draft Roadmap"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Is it just me, or does this article start out with a pretty big mistake?

Forcing does not mean taking the best card in the pack. In fact, it's often the opposite. Forcing means taking a card that will lead you to a particular archtype, even if it is NOT the best card in the pack. Steve, you probably want to clear this up or correct this in a future article.

Best,

-Eric 
Is it just me, or does this article start out with a pretty big mistake?

Forcing does not mean taking the best card in the pack. In fact, it's often the opposite. Forcing means taking a card that will lead you to a particular archtype, even if it is NOT the best card in the pack. Steve, you probably want to clear this up or correct this in a future article.

I thought that at first, but I finally figured out what he meant (it took me about 4 readings):

Unless you're going out of your way to draft a specific type of deck, you want to spend your earliest picks taking the best card out of every pack. This is commonly referred to as "forcing" a deck or archetype because the drafter will take cards for the type of deck he or she wants to draft with minimal regard for the other cards in the pack.

The "This" in the sentence about forcing refers back to the first clause of the first sentence, not the second. It is exceptionally confusing though; I agree an editor should fix that ASAP.

true its badly worded and you have to reread it to connect the dots in the correct way
Actually, the error is compounded in the rest of the paragraph: "If you are forcing a specific type of deck, such as Rakdos Beatdown, you will have a significantly easier time making most of your decisions because you will be able to ignore all of the green, white, and blue cards in your packs." This makes it sounds as if forcing a deck was desirable, which contradicts the tone of the first sentence, where forcing seems a bad idea, and pretty much the rest of the article.  
Agree with the editing comments on that paragraph.

Getting past that, I did enjoy the content of this article. I liked the breaking down of the draft timeline into parts of each pack. I've been drafting for a long time, and now that I think about it, I generally continue to focus more on individual card power in Pack 2 (within my colors, at this point), and I think of Pack 3, picks 3-14 being the time to start worrying about plugging holes in the deck. Steve surprised me by talking about making sure to fill holes in the curve and grabbing a finisher and a combat trick as early as Pack 2 picks 4-14.

I wonder if this timeline changes in different sets, depending on the format's availability of mana fixing, splashable removal, common curve-toppers, etc. If I remember correctly, Avacyn Restored had a dearth of playable two-drops, so you had to prioritize those at all times.
Missed one thing:

If you open Pack Rat, well... you know the rest.

Sign In to post comments