Magic Online Masters Edition Flashback

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I like that we'll be getting more Masters Edition cards into the system (looking at you, Force of Will). I also think the Sealed Queue prizes are pretty reasonable (win one round, get 2 packs). Deck construction is going to be interesting.

Not sure if the 64-player drafts are for me, I've only played in 8-player events.
Man I hope the 64 mans fire....

So glad I have off of work that whole time.... Hopefully my wife needs to work!
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Sounds fun minus the whole 30 card sealed thing.   I would of preferred 6 packs but maybe it's just me?
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
So for the Thanksgiving weekend only?  That is sad.  Lots of people traveling and around family so no chance to participate in this.  Though I guess its their way of trying to get people on during these times.  Perhaps some day I will get a chance at some of the masters packs.  Though chance of opening anything of value is rather low I would assume?
So for the Thanksgiving weekend only?  That is sad.  Lots of people traveling and around family so no chance to participate in this.  Though I guess its their way of trying to get people on during these times.  Perhaps some day I will get a chance at some of the masters packs.  Though chance of opening anything of value is rather low I would assume?

Not low, really.  It's not a great lottery, that's for sure, but MED 3 & 4 have a farily large number of cards worth the value of the pack.

Edit: and the value cards aren't mythics, because there are none.

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
I just wrote a small paper related to this subject in another post: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

danger, it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Am I reading it right that the 4-pack sealed entry is tickets only?  Seems rough to win packs and only be able to use them in the scheduled 64 player drafts.
Hahaha I was excited, and then realized you can't enter with the product you win.  What on earth is the logic behind this, other than a pure cash grab?

Is anyone going to play these sealeds?  I can't imagine it's actually a fun format to play.  Regular 4 booster sealed is pretty bad, and this seems even worse.  The creatures are so awful in Med1 and 2 that I would imagine a lot of these are going to come down to decking.

I also can't imagine the 64 man drafts are going to do well.  MED3 and MED4 are reasonable to draft, so I guess those will probably fire.  MED1 has force of will, and people will buy some lottery tickets and jump in the queues, but that's arguably the least fun sanctioned draft format of all time, and I can't imagine there will be a lot of repeat customers.  I doubt anyone at all tries to play MED2, as it's a similarly terrible format, and doesn't even have the money cards that the other ones do.

Basically it's just a slap in the face to customers when you price things so outrageously.  I'm sure some people will play it, but I would bet that Wizards would make a higher profit if they priced these things cheaper by making the prizes actually worth something.  Getting MED cards into the system is actually something that needs to be done, so making these events likely to fire infrequently seems very silly.
Am I reading it right that the 4-pack sealed entry is tickets only?  Seems rough to win packs and only be able to use them in the scheduled 64 player drafts.

I don't even think most of them are going to fire.  The first few should, and probably all the MED4 will, but the fact that it requires an additional 8 tickets to play means that random drafters probably aren't going to actively try to scoop up draft sets to play a cheap random draft.

This just doesn't make sense from a financial perspective from Wizards.  They got greedy, and it's going to hurt their bottom line. 
My biggest gripe is the timing of the event (Thanksgiving weekend here in the US). My home is going to be crowded with relatives, many of them sleeping over. I should be so luck to worry about not being able to enter with the product I win. I'll be happy just to be able to play in more than one event.
I just don't understand why they didn't keep the prize structures the same, and make the entry fee MED1-4 plus 4 tix, or 20 tix.  This way, they are still making a minimum of 32 Tix per sealed that fires, plus these queues only pay out 24 boosters, so there is another 8 boosters that have to come in at roughly 4 tix a pop, making these 64 tix in for every one that fires, rather than 160 in for every one that fires under the current system.  However, do you not think that more than 2.5 times as many would fire if you could enter with product?  I think it would be more on the order of 4-5 times as many firing.
Way to much negativity for what is such an awesome event.  Thank you WoTC for these, seriously!  I know I am the target market as I love to draft classic sets and don't own any of the cards so I don't care about prices crashes.  If you are looking for a reason these events only take in tickets, just look at the payout.  It is SO good.

Takes in 40 packs worth of tix, pays out 24 packs.  This is a %60 payout.  The closest we get to this in limited events is release sealed wich has a %65.6 payout.  It is not a coincidence that they also only accept tix.  WoTC has shown that when the payout gets this good they do this to try to slow the grinders down a bit.

I will be slaming these sealeds as fast as I can.  Pack prices will crash, sure, but if you look at the current price to buy ME1234 packs from Nova it would cost you 25.63 tix.  So 20 tix to enter looks like an even better deal when the packs have the potential to go up much higher then 4 tix.

To anyone who has not drafted ME sets before, don't let the low creature quality fool you.  There is a lot of skill invloved as there are very few straight bombs and you need to get the most out of normally unplayable stuff.
Its definitely a nuisance that the events are tix only and I am also of the camp that believe if would have been overall better for the MTGO economy if it had the pack+tix option since that would theoretically make the packs decrease in price a little slower but at the same time increase the number of cards opened (and bring down their price due to availability, always a good thing) due to people playing more.

Having said that, DorianH makes a really good point. Its almost the same EV as the normal 4-booster event with 4tix added on and an extra booster added for each match win and the original 4-booster EV is the highest of any regular limited queue, so that's pretty good. Last time I played in one of those events I realized that there are a surprisingly high number of money cards and its also suprisingly quite fun.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
Normal 4 Booster Sealed has a payout of %53.1 so these are much better then those and those are already much better then any draft payout.  For comparison the 64 man drafts have a %40 payout and an 8-4 has a %42.9 payout.
This is disingenous because these packs aren't going to have any uses, and are going to plummet in value.  So, no the EV isn't even close to a regular 4 pack sealed, despite the illusion created by the "higher" payouts.  It's the exact same thing as Cube Tickets.  Liquidity and demand are what make a prize worth anything, and these packs are going to be low on both.

So you make claims about hte "payout" being so good, but it's actually a flatout terrible payout.  Because these packs are basically useless and there isn't going to be any demand for them.

Again, Wizards could have been smart about this.  How about:  Tix only for these sealeds, but we will be offering a week of MED1 and MED 2 drafting 3 weeks from now, and then a week of MED3 and MED4 in 5 weeks.  You've now guaranteed your customers that they will have an outlet for the packs they end up with, and many of us would be willing to play in these sealed tournaments.  Instead, we're going to be saddled with one of 3 options, none of which is particularly appealing.  1) unloading our packs for pennies on the dollar mid-week;  2) buying more packs and paying an additional 8 tix to play in a 64 man draft that we may or may want to play in, and may or may not even fire;  or 3) sitting on the packs indefinitely, with the hope that they'll someday make MED draftable again.

It's just a poorly planned out cash grab, and it's so frustrating as someone WHO WANTS TO SPEND MY MONEY ON THE PROGRAM. 

Again, Wizards could have been smart about this.  How about:  Tix only for these sealeds, but we will be offering a week of MED1 and MED 2 drafting 3 weeks from now, and then a week of MED3 and MED4 in 5 weeks.  You've now guaranteed your customers that they will have an outlet for the packs they end up with, and many of us would be willing to play in these sealed tournaments.  

This would be pretty brilliant...

On a side note can someone with more time on their hands do an EV calculation based on the $ value of cards opened in each event? (I bet that would be a great thing to put into the SOTP...)

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
ME packs have crahsed and remounded many times before.  ME1 especially always rises right back up within 6 monthseven without draftability.  You could currently sell it for over 10 tix a pack.  There is also Chistmas coming up where they could easily offer ME drafting, but would not announce it yet.  I have no fear these packs will stay cheep forever.  In fact you will see me (LazyBuffalo) buying them in the Classifieds all week as well as playing as many sealeds as I can.

Calavera, this may help any EV calculations.  It is a link someone over at MTGSalvation created that calculates opened booster values based on Nova prices and updates automatically when they do:

l3s2148.zeus02.de/mtg/boostervalues/inde...

Not sure how acurate it si but right now it says the contents of the ME packs are:

ME1: 2.49
ME2: 1.7
ME3: 1.58
ME4: 2.55

Seems reasonable, so opened ME1234 packs are worth on average ~8 tix.
sweet link.

also wow... MED booster is 10.54 tix on supernova now???
...these packs aren't going to have any uses, and are going to plummet in value.  So, no the EV isn't even close to a regular 4 pack sealed, despite the illusion created by the "higher" payouts.  It's the exact same thing as Cube Tickets.  Liquidity and demand are what make a prize worth anything, and these packs are going to be low on both...

I think that Masters Editions (the first) packs are currently one of the most valueable packs. Aren't MED's are all in the top-10? I don't think the prices are going to plummet, mostly because I don't think that enough are going to be added to the system to have a significant impact. At the current prices, 20 tix to enter a 3-round event where first place (2-2-1-1) currently sells for around 41 tix is pretty decent. The price would have to crash quite a bit not to be profitable.

20 tix to buy and open a set of Masters Edition packs is a bargain at the moment.

I agree that it would be great if we had more choices for how to use our winnings now. But, I expect there will be a draft option in the not-too-distant future.
ME packs have crahsed and remounded many times before.  ME1 especially always rises right back up within 6 monthseven without draftability.  You could currently sell it for over 10 tix a pack.  There is also Chistmas coming up where they could easily offer ME drafting, but would not announce it yet.  I have no fear these packs will stay cheep forever.  In fact you will see me (LazyBuffalo) buying them in the Classifieds all week as well as playing as many sealeds as I can.

Calavera, this may help any EV calculations.  It is a link someone over at MTGSalvation created that calculates opened booster values based on Nova prices and updates automatically when they do:

l3s2148.zeus02.de/mtg/boostervalues/inde...

Not sure how acurate it si but right now it says the contents of the ME packs are:

ME1: 2.49
ME2: 1.7
ME3: 1.58
ME4: 2.55

Seems reasonable, so opened ME1234 packs are worth on average ~8 tix.

The value on these is entirely based on scarcity, and the possiibility of drafts becoming available again.  The last time they did MED drafts the supply of the packs was basically completely wiped out.  Without drafts to eat up the packs, the value of these is going to tank.  They may start out high, but there are going to be tons of people wanting to sell them, and very few buyers.  Bots may be offering the packs for 10 right now, but I can't imagine that anyone is actually buying them.  They'd just rather be offering them for a ridiculous price, than be caught with their pants down if they ever have a use again.
Let's see what the prices are like on the 27th. That should allow for enough time for predictions to be verified.
Sign In to post comments