Copy Land

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
edit: updated

Land
, Target opponent copies target spell they cast: If it is a creature spell then put a creature token into play under their control that is a copy of the creature that would be cast. Add to your mana pool.
(no player can affect the copy, including the spells targets.)

This could be a cycle, replacing the with the respective color, for example .

Thanks ChaosLight for alternative wording. I've made an adjustment to make it more like the original.

Land
: Target non-creature spell you don't control's controller copies it. Add to your mana pool.
: Put a token that is a copy of target creature cast this turn you dont control onto the battlefield under that creature's owner's control. Add to your mana pool.
That's crazy powerful. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Probably one of the most broken things I've ever seen.
Can an example of it being broken be provided?
Can an example of it being broken be provided?

The fact that it lets you copy any opponent's spell (for free) and then get mana for it doesn't strike you as inherently broken?

Though now that you added the "You can't choose new tragets" part it's less verifiably insane. You should make clear that you can't copy creature spells. 
"You can't choose new targets" is just reminder text, because often similar effects explicitly say that you can.

I want it to be able to copy creature spells, but they should occur on your opponent's side of the board. It's supposed to be a downside nearly all the time, anything your opponent does, your doing it again for them.

I've reworded it, does it work properly now?
Take a look at some of the 2 CMC cards out there and tell us that it's not broken if some of them were free (Balance, the stick, etc).
Take a look at the improved wording, there not free. You're giving your opponent another stick, you're not getting it yourself.

The things I can think of where the downside to the ability helps you are legendary creatures and in some situations when an opponent plays a card with a downside.

Can I get verification that it now works as I intended?
 A Land that came into play untaped and added to your mana pool is already broken.
Example game:

I cast this land, and can't tap it for mana because you havn't cast anything yet.

You play a plains and cast a vanilla 2/1 creature for 1, I tap my land in response giving you another 2/1 creature and giving me , I then play a 2/2 for 2 with Flash.

My 2nd turn, I play a forest and a 1/1 creature for 1 with deathtouch and so maybe a drawback.

It's now the start of your 2nd turn, I have two creatures, you also have 2 creatures because I had to give you one.

What's unbalanced so far?

Even worse if you fireball me, I may have to take 3 more life for 1 more mana than a basic land could have produced.
T: Target spell you don't control's controller copies it and may choose new targets for the copy. Then add 2 to your mana pool.
T: Put a token that is a copy of target creature you dont control onto the battlefield under that creature's owner's control. Then add 2 to your mana pool.

Now people should understand what you are doing.
What happens under your wording if I can't find anything to target? I made that stuff occur as part of the cost, before the ':'.

If thats ok though, then an alternative wording could be.

: Target non-creature spell you don't control's controller copies it. Add to your mana pool.
: Put a token that is a copy of target creature cast this turn you dont control onto the battlefield under that creature's owner's control. Add to your mana pool.

In case this is clearer, I'll copy it into my original post as an alternative wording, crediting you for the idea. Take a look at the OP, is this ok ChaosLight?
You can't activate it if there's nothing to target, that's how abilities and spells work :s
I would expect so too where you choose a target.

Sometimes parts of a spell or ability that are impossible are skipped if they are not in the cost, like if something on the stack occuring before them has made it the case.