state based effect

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happens if i have to discard a card because i'm dealt damage and discarding causes me to gain life, but the damage is enough to kill me?

If i'm attacked by [C]hypnotic specter[/C] I have 2 life left and a [C]confessor[/C] out.
What happens if i have to discard a card because i'm dealt damage and discarding causes me to gain life, but the damage is enough to kill me? If i'm attacked by [C]hypnotic specter[/C] I have 2 life left and a [C]confessor[/C] out.

You will die.  SBAs are checked before any triggered abilities can go on the stack or resolve.  In your example, you will die before you discard any cards or gain any life.

you will lose (dies is a bit harsh)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

In that example you would die.

You take two damage which causes Hyppie ability to trigger, but before that trigger even goes on the stack you would loose the game for having 0 life.

This is well before confessor's ability would trigger let alone resolve from the cards you would have discarded.
MTG Rules Advisor
Hypnotic Specter deals damage to you, and its triggerd ability is put on the stack, State-Based Actions are pefromed and you lose the game for having 0 or less life. Confessor's ability wouldn't trigger until after the specters ability resolved, too late to save you.

Edit: I've misread 116.5 for a long time apparently.

Level 1 Judge

Hypnotic Specter deals damage to you, and its triggerd ability is put on the stack, State-Based Actions are pefromed and you lose the game for having 0 or less life. Confessor's ability wouldn't trigger until after the specters ability resolved, too late to save you.

The Specter's ability will not go on the stack if the player has lost the game.  SBAs happen before triggered abilities.

Sign In to post comments